C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 Corvette changed coil and controller. now won't start

Old 05-16-2018, 09:23 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by Southern Boy
Thanks to an idea here, I was able to put a spark tester on where I could see it while cranking over the engine. No spark! what could I have done by changing the coil and ICM? The original ICM and coil are back on the car so it isn't a matter of defective new parts.
Time to start tracing the ignition circuit backwards. Do you have spark at the output of the coil (test the same way)? If not, are you getting signal to the coil from the ICM? If so, is the ICM getting its signal?

Here is a useful diagnostic procedure for some of this stuff: http://easyautodiagnostics.com/gm/4....test-the-icm-1.

Last edited by MatthewMiller; 05-16-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:25 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Just another approach to checking spark that I've used. It works for the coil wire as well.
I use an inductive timing light like a noid light. Just clamp to any wire and hold it while starting the car. It will flash if there is spark.

Coil wire will flash so fast it will look solid but it still tells you the light is seeing spark.
The following users liked this post:
Southern Boy (05-17-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:52 PM
Southern Boy
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
You need to follow shbox lt1 no start guide.

From memory, to get spark the icm needs a signal from the ecm to send the trigger to the coil. Then the coil woll fore, and send spark thru the opti. So I would check if you'e getting signal to the icm, and then from the icm to the coil.

It's an old car, you may have broken a wore during the install.
FAUEE, my thanks to you and to all the helpful members of this forum who responded to my request for help! It was exactly what you suggested - the wiring is old and I must of broken a wire when doing the install. After fixing, she instantly fired up and ran. I have decided to live with a uneven idle for now rather than going through this issue again. Thanks again to all!
Old 05-16-2018, 11:59 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

I'm very glad you solved the biggest issue! It's an easy problem to have on a car as old as ours.
The following users liked this post:
Southern Boy (05-17-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 PM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

Ring out the wires you removed. You most likely have a break in the circuit!
Old 05-17-2018, 11:05 PM
Southern Boy
Cruising

Originally Posted by fake
Ring out the wires you removed. You most likely have a break in the circuit!
Fake, forgive me, I'm just a farmer. What does ring out the wires mean?
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 PM
Southern Boy
Cruising

Originally Posted by belairbrian
Just another approach to checking spark that I've used. It works for the coil wire as well.
I use an inductive timing light like a noid light. Just clamp to any wire and hold it while starting the car. It will flash if there is spark.

Coil wire will flash so fast it will look solid but it still tells you the light is seeing spark.
belairbrian, that is a great idea and certainly helpful for someone like me having to crank over the engine by themselves while simultaneously checking for a spark. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996 Corvette changed coil and controller. now won't start