So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking... - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page >

So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking...

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking...

Old 05-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking...

...and this is what it looked like when I took it apart.

Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I cleaned the motor etc out and it sounds ok now but Iím still not getting much from the vents. Could more be stuck somewhere? What would be the best way to clean everything out (preferably with the least amount of disassembly?) Iíd appreciate advice.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

I think you might have to bite the bullet and take the ductwork apart to be certain. You can try a leaf blower to force air into the system and maybe it might work and maybe it might cause things to be forced further inside but not out. I am guessing that this is the fan that has blown that crap into the fins of the evaporator and the ductwork so your call. Force air into it and take your chances or disassemble to be safe.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:13 AM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

/sigh...youíre probably right. Does that mean taking the dash pad off to get to it?

EDIT: also is there a cabin air filter to change?

Last edited by Bfenty; 05-16-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:15 AM
ZEN357
CF Senior Member

Try sucking anything out with a heavy duty shop vac.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:38 AM
Need A Vette
CF Senior Member

I would block off ALL of the vents, but for one, then, make a template for that last vent, with the nozzle of your shop vac in that last block out plate, for lack of a better term, and turn it on, letting it suck what's left of the mouse family out of their confines. Hopefully that will work, without having to tear the entire dash apart.

I've never been through the corvette assembly plant, but I'm sure that they have mutants with a second elbow somewhere in their forearm, that work there. Good luck with the rodent eviction.

D.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:02 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bfenty View Post
/sigh...youíre probably right. Does that mean taking the dash pad off to get to it?

EDIT: also is there a cabin air filter to change?
I don't believe that it has a cabin filter. I'd take it apart since you're already reporting blockage is somewhere inside the system and IDK if something died there. I suppose if you find the clog at the evaporator core you can risk and blow air but my fear is you get stuff clogged further. Someone tried that and ended up paying someone to remove mouse poop and the corpse in the system.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:02 AM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I don't believe that it has a cabin filter. I'd take it apart since you're already reporting blockage is somewhere inside the system and IDK if something died there. I suppose if you find the clog at the evaporator core you can risk and blow air but my fear is you get stuff clogged further. Someone tried that and ended up paying someone to remove mouse poop and the corpse in the system.
Well I already cleared the clog at the evaporator, so if there's more in there it's further in and I'll have to take it apart ANYWAY...might as well try the blowing method, right?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:50 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

Well I already cleared the clog at the evaporator, so if there's more in there it's further in and I'll have to take it apart ANYWAY...might as well try the blowing method, right?
I guess you could. Like I was saying, IDK if it is just fluff or whether there is a dead mouse or mouse poop. I had mice in the RV. For whatever reason, there were a few dead ones in the toilet. I had a shop remove it and put in a new one before the wife would use the crapper. Your call. The other thing I am afraid of is that the fluff gets stuck around the diverters and I am not sure if they are mechanical or electrical. I suspect you are mechanical but not 100% sure. How adverse to risk of this sort are you?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:54 PM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

I guess you could. Like I was saying, IDK if it is just fluff or whether there is a dead mouse or mouse poop. I had mice in the RV. For whatever reason, there were a few dead ones in the toilet. I had a shop remove it and put in a new one before the wife would use the crapper. Your call. The other thing I am afraid of is that the fluff gets stuck around the diverters and I am not sure if they are mechanical or electrical. I suspect you are mechanical but not 100% sure. How adverse to risk of this sort are you?
Hmmm...it could already be stuck there. CRAP...

I noticed that changing the selector didn't seem to change where the air was coming out (like it should) but also that the volume of air was low overall. I figured the low volume was why I wasn't feeling a change so much. UGH!!!

Old 05-16-2018, 10:28 PM
aklim
CF Senior Member

I noticed that changing the selector didn't seem to change where the air was coming out (like it should) but also that the volume of air was low overall. I figured the low volume was why I wasn't feeling a change so much. UGH!!!

Not sure. Do you have manual or C68 system? C68 has vacuum to control it so it may be too stuck for it to move the blend doors? Just speculating.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 PM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Not sure. Do you have manual or C68 system? C68 has vacuum to control it so it may be too stuck for it to move the blend doors? Just speculating.
manual, but I think that uses vacuum to move the blend doors too. The cold/hot blend door is a cable but the vents change depending on where the slider is.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:10 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
CF Senior Member

...and this is what it looked like when I took it apart.

I have to ask.....what the f--- is that? Do you really think it was a mouse or some other critter? No strange odors?
Old 05-18-2018, 11:13 AM
xrav22
CF Senior Member

Your blend doors run on vacuum, and solely get there vacuum from the engine. The connector goes to the rr of engine area. Then when vacuum is low the ball thing compensates. Make sure it is hooked up.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:39 PM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE View Post
I have to ask.....what the f--- is that? Do you really think it was a mouse or some other critter? No strange odors?
It was probably a nest. There wasn't much gore so I'm thinking he wasn't in there when I turned it on.

Gonna be pissed if he gets back in there though.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 AM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

So, pro tip:a vacuum operated system requires VACUUM to work. That means to change where air comes out of the system the engine must be running. I drove her several times yesterday and air blew cold the whole time.

Is there a way to improve the general airflow of the AC system? It blows plenty cold but not very hard. I mean it’s as hard as the AC in any C4 I’ve seen just in general it’s not great.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:55 AM
aklim
CF Senior Member

So, pro tip:a vacuum operated system requires VACUUM to work. That means to change where air comes out of the system the engine must be running. I drove her several times yesterday and air blew cold the whole time.

Is there a way to improve the general airflow of the AC system? It blows plenty cold but not very hard. I mean itís as hard as the AC in any C4 Iíve seen just in general itís not great.
So the system is like some guys who can't rise to the occasion? Need a little vacuum to get them going? Why can't it be from a vacuum pump? Can you not put a pump onto the hose without running the engine? If the air was cold, the cooling system is functioning.

I doubt you can improve it. Just make sure it is clear of obstructions. So I guess you got lucky and there was nothing downstream?
Old 05-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

So the system is like some guys who can't rise to the occasion? Need a little vacuum to get them going? Why can't it be from a vacuum pump? Can you not put a pump onto the hose without running the engine? If the air was cold, the cooling system is functioning.

I doubt you can improve it. Just make sure it is clear of obstructions. So I guess you got lucky and there was nothing downstream?
That's correct. I got lucky.

And yes, TECHNICALLY a vacuum pump would work...but simply starting the car is a MUCH simpler solution that doesn't require rerouting the cars vaccum lines...
Old 05-20-2018, 01:53 PM
xrav22
CF Senior Member

Hi have you checked your firewall where your heater pipe goes thru and on the evaporator case where the ac lines go in. Air pressure will escape right into the engine bay if they are not sealed fully.
Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Bfenty
CF Senior Member

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by xrav22 View Post
Hi have you checked your firewall where your heater pipe goes thru and on the evaporator case where the ac lines go in. Air pressure will escape right into the engine bay if they are not sealed fully.
It leaks there for sure. Not sure how to seal it up better though? It's a relatively small leak, I noticed it when I was fixing my AC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So my AC stopped blowing and the motor was clicking...

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: