C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 did some work, now she's stalling

Old 05-16-2018, 04:47 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 did some work, now she's stalling

Smog pump went bad on me so ordered a refurb from rockauto.com. While I was waiting for it to come in I decided to do a little work I've been wanting to get to. Took off the plenum, runners, and fuel rail to polish up and in the process replaced my injectors. Just finished putting everything back together and now she's giving me some problems. Fires right up fine but starts giving off a "hissing" type sound and then shuts right down. If I give it a little gas she stays running but struggle and dies out as soon as I let off. I can't tell where exactly the noise is coming from because I'm by myself at the moment. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2018, 04:52 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by BenR1982
Fires right up fine but starts giving off a "hissing" type sound and then shuts right down. If I give it a little gas she stays running but struggle and dies out as soon as I let off. I can't tell where exactly the noise is coming from because I'm by myself at the moment. Any ideas?
You have vacuum leak(s).

You need to double check ALL the connections, bolts, seals, gaskets....etc.

The easiest way to find your leak with with the "smoke test".

Get your self a cigar and blow into one of the vacuum lines (the brake line is best in my opinion) and fill the plenum with smoke. Seal off the TB so smoke does not escape and keep filling with smoke. Eventually some will escape and you will have found your leak.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

Did a little digging and I'm pretty sure the vacuum leak is coming from the cold start injector. Is there a recommended way to seal it up? Doesn't look like there was a gasket in the kit I bought and don't remember there being one when I took everything apart... was thinking about using some Right Stuff but wasn't sure that is the best way to go. Thoughts?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM
BenR1982
Cruising

For any of the newbies out there looking to find their mistakes.... So it looks like when seating the cold start injector I must have had it at a slight angle which was not allowing a proper seal. Did a little damage to the injector itself but think I can fix it... or at least mess something else up in the process. LONG LIVE THE DIY!

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 did some work, now she's stalling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 did some work, now she's stalling