C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Blowing fuses

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 05:41 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Blowing fuses

On the way home to day I encountered a new failure on my 90 coupe. The radio went silent, the automatic climate control went blank I heard a pop and the antenna didnt retract with my radio. There was a smell of burnt silicon, like when you overpower a resistor, but nothing new developed on the drive home. Get home and find fuse #1 Courtesy ( 15A) is blown. Tried replacing the fuse and the antenna retracted right away. Turn the car on with the radio off and no pop. The climate control shows a temprature all seems well. Turn on the radio and the fuse pops. The radio still appears to be working but no sound and the antenna is stopped part of the way up.

To my understanding the "amp" portion of the bose sound system, the antenna, the cigarette lighter and the climate control are all on this fuse. Is there anything else on this fuse I am overlooking? If I'm going to have to tear the interior apart to find the short I would prefer to do it once. On the same note is this something a bad speaker amp would do?
Old 05-19-2018, 04:06 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Something is grounding out.

I know that a multi meter and a diagram are the smart choices, but I'll recommend a old school (it is faster) method. Since you have isolated it to the radio system, disconnect cables and pop a new fuse in. Plug in the radio, then edm, then speakers(s) then antenna until somting blows the fuse. Also when pluging wiries in, flip the dash lights on/off to make sure that this system is not problematic.

Once isolated, you will need to see if the wire or the "mechanism" (whatever?) is casuing the ground. If the unit (again whatever the object) is not broken, My guess is loose wire rubbed through and are making contact with something and grounding out.

Now having said that.... check your antenna ground strap first. That is on the divers side rear and gets dirty fast loosing contact.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 05-19-2018 at 04:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Space387 (05-19-2018)
Old 05-19-2018, 04:57 PM
Space387
Racer

Will do. My gut is saying its one of the 4 speaker amps as I have heard some popping in the past. If the antenna cycles without an issue it shouldn't be the ground strap right?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Space387
Will do. My gut is saying its one of the 4 speaker amps as I have heard some popping in the past. If the antenna cycles without an issue it shouldn't be the ground strap right?
Yes, if it cycles you are good.

I never heard of amps blowing fuses but you never know.

Enjoy your electrical hunt
Old 05-21-2018, 11:50 AM
Space387
Racer

Well I found my issue.

In the words of Adam Savage " Well THERE'S yer problem." Tested the car with just this amp out and although its now severely lacking it works without blowing fuses. Already have a new set of four from a good setter purchased
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd gut your bose system, and put in something else...Just remember, it's almost 30...

D.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:39 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Already have a new set of four from a good setter purchased
Easy day. You found your problem quickly and already have spares on hand.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Well I found my issue.

In the words of Adam Savage " Well THERE'S yer problem." Tested the car with just this amp out and although its now severely lacking it works without blowing fuses. Already have a new set of four from a good setter purchased
Yep ... you released the factory installed electronic smoke on that one.

Get notified of new replies

To Blowing fuses

Quick Reply: Blowing fuses