C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Why dont both pistons on dual piston front cAlipers activate equally?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 09:06 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Why dont both pistons on dual piston front cAlipers activate equally?

Had funky brake pad and rotor wear on rf passenger side. Basicaly the RF pad wore out and the LF was fine.

the rf rotor was also worn unevenly around the circumference , luckily it could be turned down back into spec.

As im putting it back together, i noticed the dual pistons on both lf and rf caliper do not come out evenly when the brakes are applied. See link to picture.

what can that mean and how do i fix? Is it a simple bleeding issue ?

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/dizw...lo0a.jpeg.html
Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

With the way you are testing, the fluid will go the path of least resistance. So one piston will move before the other. Once the pistons reach resistance, the force applied will even out to some degree.

On the pad wear, are you saying the out board pad wasn’t worn like the on board? Or the pad portion on the one piston side was worn more causing a “sloped” pad?

I would replace the seals on the calipers and use high quality brake line on the sliders/any where you have metal touching the pad. Don’t get excessive with the lib, just where the pat touches the brackets.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:29 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

Got corrosion problems on a piston? Because pressure is equal in a hydraulic system.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

I think i need to have someone that knows what they are doing disassemble / reassemble the calipers.

they really arent that old (installed arnd 2006) and prob only have 30000 miles on them.

they are the special j55 grand sport painted black calipers with corvette on them.

i want to make sure they are operating properly before reinstalling

Last edited by dizwiz24; 05-23-2018 at 09:42 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Why dont both pistons on dual piston front cAlipers activate equally?

Quick Reply: Why dont both pistons on dual piston front cAlipers activate equally?