C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 KC4 oil cooler adaptor plate

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 PM
viking7
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 KC4 oil cooler adaptor plate

Question, what is the difference between a stock by-pass oil adapter and the adapter for the KC4 oil cooler setup? My parts book does not list by-pass as part of the description of the KC4 adapter. Each has a different part number. I think it is the same part but the KC4 has the by-pass feature removed. Asked Melling about it, they responded that it looks like their by-pass adapter, but that's all. Any knowledge or comments about this out there? Trying to put this rescue mission back to rights. Thanks
Old 06-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Have you looked at them? The standard bypass filter adapter is just really is so a spin on filter attaches to block. It doesn't need a gasket.
Oil cooler bolts on use same holes. It does require gasket and coolant hoses.
I don't know how well the c\k adapter would work on corvettes. I haven't one on a Vette. It would allow for larger remote mounted oil cooler.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:24 PM
viking7
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Kevova
Have you looked at them? The standard bypass filter adapter is just really is so a spin on filter attaches to block. It doesn't need a gasket.
Oil cooler bolts on use same holes. It does require gasket and coolant hoses.
I don't know how well the c\k adapter would work on corvettes. I haven't one on a Vette. It would allow for larger remote mounted oil cooler.
Thanks for the reply. I have not explained well. I have the '84-'90 Corvette Parts Book, which is a big help, but the illustrations, in this case, are not. This corvette had the RPO KC4 oil cooler set up originally, somewhere in its past someone removed the oil cooler and accompanying parts. I have acquired all the needed parts except for GM #10055722, the cooler adapter, which is different from GM #3952301 by-pass adapter which is on the block. I need to know the difference between the two parts, in order to acquire or make a replacement. The cooler itself was made by Modine and is GM #14049217, contacted Modine but have not heard back. Anyone ideas?
Old 06-02-2018, 06:08 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Try using a modern remote cooler like a DeRale coolers with the oil filter adapter.

I have a Buick with the "Optional Oil Cooler" on it from GM and it is close to worthless. The design was terrible, they circulated coolant around the oil going to and from the filter. The whole device was maybe 4 inches tall and it pushed my oil filter way down.

Good luck but check out the newer technologies!
Old 06-02-2018, 07:36 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The f body used the same adapter. There are several oil coolers on eBay. You might see what you are missing.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:11 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I thought the only difference was the two mounting bolts for the cooler. They have extended heads.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by viking7
I have acquired all the needed parts except for GM #10055722, the cooler adapter, which is different from GM #3952301 by-pass adapter which is on the block. I need to know the difference between the two parts, in order to acquire or make a replacement. The cooler itself was made by Modine and is GM #14049217, contacted Modine but have not heard back. Anyone ideas?
So you've an '88 that has the KC4 RPO and you want to put it back stock. Is this correct? I ask only because of some information you've mentioned.

Where did you get the 14049217 you use as a reference? That ain't a cooler. There were I believe 2 of that type I'm aware of 14084369 for Corvette and 14092135 for Camaro/Firebird.

Do you now have a cooler, 2 studs, 'correct' gasket, the sleeve and snap-ring? This is an L98 cooler and appropriate hardware. This particular is for the Camaro/Firebird. I believe that the only difference for the adapter was 'height'(maybe) that when attached with the correct studs, (the studs positioned it) and also the adapter height kept you from over tightening the sleeve that held the cooler and ruining the gasket to cooler/block seal. If you could confirm the dimensions then the 'by-pass' restriction is different because of the cooler.

I'd think that unless a 'restoration' of sorts you just use the filter and stock adapter. TOSS THE COOLER or I believe sometimes referred to as 'HEATER'. I don't know or care if original hoses are available or NOT. I don't know if I have the correct adapter or not but I have cooler, sleeve and snap-ring for the Corvette. Might have the adapter.

Maybe someone has an L98 with KC4 disassembled and could confirm the casting information on the adapter and the dimensions.

+++Years ago I've seen mention actually removing the by-pass mechanism with a plug. Here's a more recent post with an explanation.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1575617275

Name:  L98 Cooler.jpg
Views: 1278
Size:  28.9 KB

Last edited by WVZR-1; 06-03-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:22 PM
viking7
4th Gear

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
So you've an '88 that has the KC4 RPO and you want to put it back stock. Is this correct? I ask only because of some information you've mentioned.

Where did you get the 14049217 you use as a reference? That ain't a cooler. There were I believe 2 of that type I'm aware of 14084369 for Corvette and 14092135 for Camaro/Firebird.

Do you now have a cooler, 2 studs, 'correct' gasket, the sleeve and snap-ring? This is an L98 cooler and appropriate hardware. This particular is for the Camaro/Firebird. I believe that the only difference for the adapter was 'height'(maybe) that when attached with the correct studs, (the studs positioned it) and also the adapter height kept you from over tightening the sleeve that held the cooler and ruining the gasket to cooler/block seal. If you could confirm the dimensions then the 'by-pass' restriction is different because of the cooler.

I'd think that unless a 'restoration' of sorts you just use the filter and stock adapter. TOSS THE COOLER or I believe sometimes referred to as 'HEATER'. I don't know or care if original hoses are available or NOT. I don't know if I have the correct adapter or not but I have cooler, sleeve and snap-ring for the Corvette. Might have the adapter.

Maybe someone has an L98 with KC4 disassembled and could confirm the casting information on the adapter and the dimensions.

+++Years ago I've seen mention actually removing the by-pass mechanism with a plug. Here's a more recent post with an explanation.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1575617275

Attachment 48290937
My goof, typed in the part no. for a speaker grill I found that day, oops. Your assessment is correct, I have acquired the parts needed, the correct cooler included GM #14084369 (correct# %$^&*). The car is 97% original, trying to make it closer, driving it with your suggested just filter. I keep trying, thanks again.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:14 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

That is the same part they used on my Buick.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/304/12...mary__ra_p.jpg

This is from Rockauto and they get $217.79 for the original GM cooler.
I would again find a good aftermarket cooler over using the GM overpriced part.

Good Luck with the Cooler!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:29 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by ctmccloskey
That is the same part they used on my Buick.

https://www.rockauto.com/info/304/12...mary__ra_p.jpg

This is from Rockauto and they get $217.79 for the original GM cooler.
I would again find a good aftermarket cooler over using the GM overpriced part.

Good Luck with the Cooler!
OP isn't looking for a cooler. He's only interested in the 'adapter to block' that has the by-pass in it. He hint's he's everything else. Your Buick and the RA link is 'very' different!!
The following users liked this post:
viking7 (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 05:36 PM
viking7
4th Gear

Thanks again, bye for now.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (06-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 KC4 oil cooler adaptor plate

Quick Reply: 1988 KC4 oil cooler adaptor plate