C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Throttle body hoses...What's going on here? A bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:35 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Throttle body hoses...What's going on here? A bypass?

This is in regard to a '96 CE with LT4. Replacing a lot of hoses etc., and came across this. Doesn't seem quite right, but the car does have a fair amount of mods to it. There's a small section of hose connecting these two (white and yellow arrows) together, and it's pretty much impossible to do without the hose getting kinked up. Under the hose that the yellow arrow is pointing to, it looks just like the end the white arrow is pointing to. What's going on here...a bypass? How is it supposed to be? How should I put this back together?

Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2018, 07:48 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Those two metal pipes are supposed to be connected by a short 90° rubber hose. It is part of the coolant path through the throttle body for cold temperature operation. Many people bypass it by connecting the hose that is on the driver side (at bottom of throttle body) directly to the pipe that runs along the top of the passenger side valve cover. Google throttle body coolant bypass and you'll get a lot more info. HTH.

John
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 08:50 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

See if your 'by-pass' was done this way as mentioned in this post for LT4.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1549198158

It's certainly the 'easiest/cheapest' way. If you've bought new hoses it's difficult to maybe sort what you've got
racerseks (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteC1
Those two metal pipes are supposed to be connected by a short 90° rubber hose. It is part of the coolant path through the throttle body for cold temperature operation. Many people bypass it by connecting the hose that is on the driver side (at bottom of throttle body) directly to the pipe that runs along the top of the passenger side valve cover. Google throttle body coolant bypass and you'll get a lot more info. HTH.

John
Thanks...Wow, I am surprised that's actually how it's supposed to be. The hose in place, was pretty much mush, but it was kinked up just as the piece I tried to replace it with it is. Is there a party number for that section of hose? Do you know what size hose it is? I'll look into that, and consider doing the bypass. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2018, 09:30 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
See if your 'by-pass' was done this way as mentioned in this post for LT4.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1549198158

It's certainly the 'easiest/cheapest' way. If you've bought new hoses it's difficult to maybe sort what you've got
Thanks...I'll look into that. I just used some hose I had here...know what size hose it should be, or maybe a part number for that piece? (though I doubt it's still being made).
Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
Thanks...Wow, I am surprised that's actually how it's supposed to be. The hose in place, was pretty much mush, but it was kinked up just as the piece I tried to replace it with it is. Is there a party number for that section of hose? Do you know what size hose it is? I'll look into that, and consider doing the bypass. Thanks!
The 'pipes' (poster #2 terminology) ain't related. Throttle body coolant is one on the 'right' in your snapshot and the other on the left side. Visually you should have no issues finding it.

Follow the hose from the top right of the radiator and see where it leads you. I'm guessing to the line that runs towards the rear of the engine along side the intake.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 05-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:44 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

The 'pipes' (poster #2 terminology) ain't related. Throttle body coolant is one on the 'right' in your snapshot and the other on the left side. Visually you should have no issues finding it.

Follow the hose from the top right of the radiator and see where it leads you. I'm guessing to the line that runs towards the rear of the engine along side the intake.
I believe my wording ('two metal pipes') may have been a bit confusing... The open rubber hose adjacent to the metal pipe coming out of the passenger side of the throttle body is (I'm assuming) connected to the metal pipe going to the rear of the heads (the steam tube as GM calls it). Those two metal pipes are connected by a short 90 molded rubber hose, which you can still buy from Rock Auto. The driver side tube from the throttle body is connected to the hose which goes to the tee at the top right of the radiator. Many people bypass this circuit and go from the radiator 'tee' directly to the steam tube. This also makes it less of a hassle if you want to remove your throttle body to work on it. With the circuit bypassed, you don't have to drain the coolant to remove the throttle body. I hope this is clearer.

Regards,
John

Last edited by WhiteC1; 05-10-2018 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added picture
racerseks (05-10-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:58 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I believe my wording ('two metal pipes') may have been a bit confusing... The open rubber hose adjacent to the metal pipe coming out of the passenger side of the throttle body is (I'm assuming) connected to the metal pipe going to the rear of the heads (the steam tube as GM calls it). Those two metal pipes are connected by a short 90 molded rubber hose, which you can still buy from Rock Auto. The driver side tube from the throttle body is connected to the hose which goes to the tee at the top right of the radiator. Many people bypass this circuit and go from the radiator 'tee' directly to the steam tube. This also makes it less of a hassle if you want to remove your throttle body to work on it. With the circuit bypassed, you don't have to drain the coolant to remove the throttle body. I hope this is clearer.

Regards,
John
That's awesome! I was trying to find a diagram like that. Makes a lot more sense now. Know what the part number is, or what it's called exactly? Or a Rockauto link? Their site is huge, and hard to navigate at times.

On the bypass...I have all of that stuff out right now, cleaning it up. If I go that route, would the hose coming from the radiator, that would go to the "steam tube", need to be trimmed at all? Might not be a bad idea, being in Florida, but like to avoid trimming it in case I get the hose, and decide to hook it back that way.

Thank you!
Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I think that's the once. Will go out there and check. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Default Part numbers

Well, I looked over Rockauto, and I think I found it. Here are the part numbers, if anyone needs them down the line:

DAYCO 87000

GATES 18030

ACDELCO 14002S

CONTINENTAL 64309

Note: Some of these say "P" (LT1) engine code. I'm guessing it's the same part for the LT4 ("5" engine code) and am going with DAYCO 87000.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:01 PM
WhiteC1
Racer

Originally Posted by racerseks
That's awesome! I was trying to find a diagram like that. Makes a lot more sense now. Know what the part number is, or what it's called exactly? Or a Rockauto link? Their site is huge, and hard to navigate at times.

On the bypass...I have all of that stuff out right now, cleaning it up. If I go that route, would the hose coming from the radiator, that would go to the "steam tube", need to be trimmed at all? Might not be a bad idea, being in Florida, but like to avoid trimming it in case I get the hose, and decide to hook it back that way.

Thank you!
When I did mine, I just clipped a few inches of the hose that went to the driver side port of the throttle body and connected it directly to the steam tube on the passenger side.

Regards,
John
racerseks (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 06:39 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

When I did mine, I just clipped a few inches of the hose that went to the driver side port of the throttle body and connected it directly to the steam tube on the passenger side.

Regards,
John
I might be going this route. Will decide when it's all back together. Got the hose, so I can go either way I guess. Thanks!
WhiteC1 (05-15-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Following up here. Decided to do the bypass mod after all. Came out nice and neat, and I didn't have to cut the original...in case I ever want to go back to stock configuration. Just used a few vacuum caps on both ends of the throttle body. Don't expect the tires to screech any more from doing it, but it neatened things up, and it's another hose that won't rot away in a few years...

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle body hoses...What's going on here? A bypass?

Quick Reply: Throttle body hoses...What's going on here? A bypass?