C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

First Corvette Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 06:48 PM
Kmm846
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Corvette Maintenance

Hello,

Finally pulled the trigger and bought a 94 c4 coupe, automatic trans. Car is all stock with only 16900 miles on it. Owner changed the oil with mobile one, and put a new battery on it, that’s it. I know I need to replace the 24 year old run flats, and flush coolant because it’s a brown color (rust I assume). Looking for thoughts on what other fluids should be changed? Also, other than fluids, am I missing something? Owner always stored in a heated garage and the ac still blows cold. Appreciate the help.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Check all fluids: Oil, Trans fluid, radiator fluid, brake fluid, basically everything you can see inside the engine compartment. Sounds like the radiator will have to be completely drained, flushed and refilled since the fluid is brown. Don't forget the radiator reserve tank too. You'll also want to replace the engine air filter. If you're not real familiar with working on these engines, you may want to have a trusted independent mechanic look it over too. Hopefully the car will run smoothly and not have other problems.

Last edited by RetroGuy; 06-07-2018 at 07:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kmm846 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 07:59 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Also change the PS fluid and diff fluid and thermostat. Replace rad hoses and serpentine belt. Clean the throttle body. Do not hose down the front of the engine. Do not drive on those old tires! Check the sway bar and rear dog-bone bushings for deterioration. If original shocks, consider replacing them.

Enjoy the ride!
Kmm846 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 08:31 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Congradulations 94 is a great year.

The tires being as old as they are (regardless of the amount of tread left) is a safety issue and need to be changed. You don't need to stick with noisy run-flats if you don't want to ... up to you.

Never spray your engine bay with a high pressure hose. Way too many old electronics that may not do well with that. Cleaning the engine bay can come later anyway.

Basically start with the front of the car and work towards the back changing all fluids:

Radiator

engine oil & filter (you said the PO did this but did he also change the oil filter?)

Power steering fluid.

Brake fluid.

Auto trans fluid & trans filter (no need to "flush" just drain & refil)

Rear differential fluid & what ever lubricant you prefer be sure to add in the special GM posi-fluid.

Here's a very important thing to remember ..... the car LIKES to be driven. Drive it on a regular basis and the car will like you for it
Kmm846 (06-07-2018)
Old 06-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Kmm846
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Speaking of the engine, it’s pretty dirty, hoses and lines are very dusty and such. What’s the best route to cleaner the engine compartment? I’ve read to stay away from the oprtispark, but would a detail shop be able to steam clean perhaps?
Old 06-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You know what post up some pictures of the engine bay.

There are some guys, well respected people here as well, who will say they do it with no problem .. but you really want to stay away from high pressure water or steam.

You can do wonders with gunk or simple green and brushes to loosen up built up grease and grime and then rinse it away with a garden hose with no spray attachment. You want to use water to gently rinse dirt and grease away not to power it off. Then you can use rags and other things to gently clean the entire engine and bay. Yes, you might spend a whole weekend doing it but it sure beats one of those stories that starts....

Hey I power washed my car yesterday and today it stutters when I step on the gas uhhhhh think its the opti or should I try throwing these 4 other sensors at it and see if that solves the problem???
Kmm846 (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 11:56 AM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 203 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

Another thing..........check the space between the front of the rad and the AC condenser. If there is a lot of crap in there, you may want to pull the rad and give it a good cleaning.

For engine bay cleaning, I use use a degreaser and an old paint brush, then rinse with a bit of water. Super-fine steel wool and aluminum polish on the aluminum tubing. Finish up with CD-2 Engine Detailer.

Kmm846 (06-08-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To First Corvette Maintenance

Quick Reply: First Corvette Maintenance