C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1987 automatic c4 shifter won't put transmission in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 08:42 AM
joshualee
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1987 automatic c4 shifter won't put transmission in 1st gear

I'm trying to figure out what to do about my transmission not shifting into first gear. I took the consol apart and make sure there's nothing blocking it from going into first gear, also I went underneath the car and adjusted the linkage and did not seem to help either. maybe you guys can help me out and tell me what I'm doing wrong. With the shifter cable off it goes through the gears fine, and after I adjusted it it seemed to go into each gear with the shift *** but when taking off from a stop in first gear it would not stay in first and shift into second on its own. So it's not the old stiff shifter boot, it's not blocked and I didn't fix it by adjusting it at the tranny....
what's next?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:27 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

install the cable while the tranny is in Park....I had to bend the tang on the tranny that holds the cable to make it work right....the cable I bought had no adjustment.....while in park, installed cable should snap right in without any excess play either way....looks easy but kind of a PIA job...
Old 06-10-2018, 11:28 PM
joshualee
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try those things next! Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 1987 automatic c4 shifter won't put transmission in 1st gear

Quick Reply: 1987 automatic c4 shifter won't put transmission in 1st gear