C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFSB Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM
pwrthrob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFSB Bar

C4 owners rejoice! Tom Gaspar the original designer and builder of the Anti Flex Support Bar is now selling through Astro Tops. It is available on Ebay. This is the bar originally featured in Corvette Fever back when. It bolts on in place of the C4 roof panel and gives excellent support while driving. As stated Anti Flex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-1989-96-...MAAOSwxQJbCHRo
Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

$650....pricey
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM
pwrthrob
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFSB Bar

Originally Posted by vette196
$650....pricey
Yeah but well worth it. I've owned two from Tom Gaspar, one for my '94 and one on my '95. Both were well made and performed as stated. It really puts the car back together even better then when the roof panel is on. Open air driving without all the flexing, creaking and twisting that C4's are known for.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 162 Posts

I’ve had one for about 8 years I believe. Bought new from Tom, they were at the time made to order and the build quality is top notch. The powder coat looks new to this day and given that it’s black, my car is black and my interior black it looks practically like a factory option. It fully resolved the wobbly feel with the targa off and I believe the car feels stiffer with this bar in place than with the acrylic top.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 AM
vettecrazy88
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Does what its advertised to do

Agree with above replies. Really stiffens up car with targa off. Quality is excellent and adjusts to fit well.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 PM
Race Prepared
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Support Bar

Originally Posted by pwrthrob
C4 owners rejoice! Tom Gaspar the original designer and builder of the Anti Flex Support Bar is now selling through Astro Tops. It is available on Ebay. This is the bar originally featured in Corvette Fever back when. It bolts on in place of the C4 roof panel and gives excellent support while driving. As stated Anti Flex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-1989-96-...MAAOSwxQJbCHRo
Item seems to have been removed from ebay.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

If you call Tom, the price is 475
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 PM
Went
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

Mine was $475 plus some shipping.

Went
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Default AFSB Bar Idea

I just purchased a used 1990 Acrylic top for my 95. It's in pretty nice overall shape, with excellent weatherstripping and only a few minor scuff marks on the lens. I haven't tried to polish it up yet, but it shouldn't need much. Now for my question:

My old top lens is cracked in two places, and the weatherstripping is completely shot. The frame looks to be in excellent condition (no visible cracks). I was thinking of taking the lens out and heliarc welding in a center brace assembly and try to make my own AFSB bar. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what my old top is worth on the market, since it would need a new lens and weatherstripping. Might be an interesting project. Any thoughts?

Regards,
John
Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM
rblakeney
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteC1
I just purchased a used 1990 Acrylic top for my 95. It's in pretty nice overall shape, with excellent weatherstripping and only a few minor scuff marks on the lens. I haven't tried to polish it up yet, but it shouldn't need much. Now for my question:

My old top lens is cracked in two places, and the weatherstripping is completely shot. The frame looks to be in excellent condition (no visible cracks). I was thinking of taking the lens out and heliarc welding in a center brace assembly and try to make my own AFSB bar. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what my old top is worth on the market, since it would need a new lens and weatherstripping. Might be an interesting project. Any thoughts?

Regards,
John
I'm thinking that is a good idea to try since the top needs work. My guess is that the lens provides some kind of structural support itself as part of the entire top and an empty frame will flex, but if you can reinforce it as you say, then you might eliminate some slop. Maybe two braces instead of just one? Maybe an X?

The thing that bothers me about any of the aftermarket targa bars is that they look like a roll cage and you cannot get the top on the car without removing them.

This topic has me curious and I found a guy that makes a soft top kit for replacing the stock top. He also has a center brace that bolts in.

http://www.blackrock212.com/streetsport/Truss-Bar.html

Anyone tried this?
Old 06-14-2018, 02:50 PM
vette196
Melting Slicks

Received 262 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by rblakeney
i'm thinking that is a good idea to try since the top needs work. My guess is that the lens provides some kind of structural support itself as part of the entire top and an empty frame will flex, but if you can reinforce it as you say, then you might eliminate some slop. Maybe two braces instead of just one? Maybe an x?

The thing that bothers me about any of the aftermarket targa bars is that they look like a roll cage and you cannot get the top on the car without removing them.

This topic has me curious and i found a guy that makes a soft top kit for replacing the stock top. He also has a center brace that bolts in.

http://www.blackrock212.com/streetsport/truss-bar.html

anyone tried this?
2018 availability update :

I am no longer making these tops available to the public
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by vette196
2018 availability update :

I am no longer making these tops available to the public
What do we have to do in order to be considered "not public"

Old 10-06-2018, 09:44 PM
fflumpy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrthrob
I got one for a 1985 for sale. $375
Old 10-07-2018, 08:21 AM
fake
Safety Car

Received 343 Likes on 247 Posts

So what can we purchase and who has it?

Get notified of new replies

To AFSB Bar

Quick Reply: AFSB Bar