AFSB Bar - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

AFSB Bar

Reply

 
 
 
Old 06-12-2018, 12:00 PM
  #1  
pwrthrob
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default AFSB Bar

C4 owners rejoice! Tom Gaspar the original designer and builder of the Anti Flex Support Bar is now selling through Astro Tops. It is available on Ebay. This is the bar originally featured in Corvette Fever back when. It bolts on in place of the C4 roof panel and gives excellent support while driving. As stated Anti Flex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-1989-96-...MAAOSwxQJbCHRo
pwrthrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:52 PM
  #2  
vette196
CF Senior Member
 
vette196's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Park Ridge New Jersey
Posts: 634
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

$650....pricey
vette196 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 AM
  #3  
pwrthrob
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: May 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default AFSB Bar

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
$650....pricey
Yeah but well worth it. I've owned two from Tom Gaspar, one for my '94 and one on my '95. Both were well made and performed as stated. It really puts the car back together even better then when the roof panel is on. Open air driving without all the flexing, creaking and twisting that C4's are known for.
pwrthrob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:09 AM
  #4  
jmgtp
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,083
Thanks: 0
Thanked 28 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Iíve had one for about 8 years I believe. Bought new from Tom, they were at the time made to order and the build quality is top notch. The powder coat looks new to this day and given that itís black, my car is black and my interior black it looks practically like a factory option. It fully resolved the wobbly feel with the targa off and I believe the car feels stiffer with this bar in place than with the acrylic top.
jmgtp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:13 AM
  #5  
vettecrazy88
CF Senior Member
 
vettecrazy88's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2005
Location: Lakewood Colorado
Posts: 708
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Does what its advertised to do

Agree with above replies. Really stiffens up car with targa off. Quality is excellent and adjusts to fit well.
vettecrazy88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:06 PM
  #6  
Race Prepared
CF Senior Member
 
Race Prepared's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2006
Location: Burleson Texas
Posts: 872
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Support Bar

Originally Posted by pwrthrob View Post
C4 owners rejoice! Tom Gaspar the original designer and builder of the Anti Flex Support Bar is now selling through Astro Tops. It is available on Ebay. This is the bar originally featured in Corvette Fever back when. It bolts on in place of the C4 roof panel and gives excellent support while driving. As stated Anti Flex. https://www.ebay.com/itm/C4-1989-96-...MAAOSwxQJbCHRo
Item seems to have been removed from ebay.
Race Prepared is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:36 PM
  #7  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Amherst Junction Wi
Posts: 2,969
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

If you call Tom, the price is 475
Pwnage1337 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:46 PM
  #8  
Went
CF Senior Member
 
Went's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2012
Location: Aloha Oregon
Posts: 332
Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Mine was $475 plus some shipping.

Went
Went is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:10 AM
  #9  
WhiteC1
CF Member
 
WhiteC1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Location: Jackson Michigan
Posts: 59
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default AFSB Bar Idea

I just purchased a used 1990 Acrylic top for my 95. It's in pretty nice overall shape, with excellent weatherstripping and only a few minor scuff marks on the lens. I haven't tried to polish it up yet, but it shouldn't need much. Now for my question:

My old top lens is cracked in two places, and the weatherstripping is completely shot. The frame looks to be in excellent condition (no visible cracks). I was thinking of taking the lens out and heliarc welding in a center brace assembly and try to make my own AFSB bar. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what my old top is worth on the market, since it would need a new lens and weatherstripping. Might be an interesting project. Any thoughts?

Regards,
John
WhiteC1 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:36 PM
  #10  
rblakeney
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: Katy Texas
Posts: 130
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WhiteC1 View Post
I just purchased a used 1990 Acrylic top for my 95. It's in pretty nice overall shape, with excellent weatherstripping and only a few minor scuff marks on the lens. I haven't tried to polish it up yet, but it shouldn't need much. Now for my question:

My old top lens is cracked in two places, and the weatherstripping is completely shot. The frame looks to be in excellent condition (no visible cracks). I was thinking of taking the lens out and heliarc welding in a center brace assembly and try to make my own AFSB bar. Has anyone tried this? I'm not sure what my old top is worth on the market, since it would need a new lens and weatherstripping. Might be an interesting project. Any thoughts?

Regards,
John
I'm thinking that is a good idea to try since the top needs work. My guess is that the lens provides some kind of structural support itself as part of the entire top and an empty frame will flex, but if you can reinforce it as you say, then you might eliminate some slop. Maybe two braces instead of just one? Maybe an X?

The thing that bothers me about any of the aftermarket targa bars is that they look like a roll cage and you cannot get the top on the car without removing them.

This topic has me curious and I found a guy that makes a soft top kit for replacing the stock top. He also has a center brace that bolts in.

http://www.blackrock212.com/streetsport/Truss-Bar.html

Anyone tried this?
rblakeney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:50 PM
  #11  
vette196
CF Senior Member
 
vette196's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2015
Location: Park Ridge New Jersey
Posts: 634
Thanked 39 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rblakeney View Post
i'm thinking that is a good idea to try since the top needs work. My guess is that the lens provides some kind of structural support itself as part of the entire top and an empty frame will flex, but if you can reinforce it as you say, then you might eliminate some slop. Maybe two braces instead of just one? Maybe an x?

The thing that bothers me about any of the aftermarket targa bars is that they look like a roll cage and you cannot get the top on the car without removing them.

This topic has me curious and i found a guy that makes a soft top kit for replacing the stock top. He also has a center brace that bolts in.

http://www.blackrock212.com/streetsport/truss-bar.html

anyone tried this?
2018 availability update :

I am no longer making these tops available to the public
vette196 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 11:35 PM
  #12  
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor
 
Pwnage1337's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2008
Location: Amherst Junction Wi
Posts: 2,969
Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by vette196 View Post
2018 availability update :

I am no longer making these tops available to the public
What do we have to do in order to be considered "not public"

Pwnage1337 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Reply
 
 
 

Forum Jump

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: