C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Swapping between two exhaust systems

Old 06-14-2018, 09:33 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist
Default Swapping between two exhaust systems

I've got a 100% stock 1985 Corvette, which I would like to keep that way. I don't really plan on reselling it, but I like having a 100% original car.

That said, I'm missing the loud exhaust from my previous Corvette (I believe it was a flowmaster system, although I didn't buy it myself). It was a call cat delete, and it was LOUD. Annoying at times, for sure, and droned terribly, but it was so much fun to get down on it.

So here's the question: I still have that old system. It was welded on but my local shop has assured me he can fab it up to be a bolt-on part. If I were to keep my factory exhaust completely as-is, but make the Flowmaster bolt-on, how much work is it to swap between them? I'd like to put on the loud stuff for some shows etc. and then swap back to the tamer factory. I don't know if that's really a feasible thing to do, however, having never swapped exhaust systems.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 AM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Without seeing the system--and more importantly where the "bolt on" occures-- my quick guess is that your fab shop should be able to create a bolt on swap that would take 30-45 minutes to change over.

You are just dealing with a few bolts and some hanger. The C4 system is really pretty simple and lots of people just "drop" the system with very little time.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
Without seeing the system--and more importantly where the "bolt on" occures-- my quick guess is that your fab shop should be able to create a bolt on swap that would take 30-45 minutes to change over.

You are just dealing with a few bolts and some hanger. The C4 system is really pretty simple and lots of people just "drop" the system with very little time.
Sounds like the info I needed. I wouldn't want to swap it out constantly, but it would be nice to be able to switch and still go back to stock when I want to. So there aren't any 'gotchas' or anything that would cause me trouble.

Thank you!
Old 06-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Mike Holmen
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

On my car I went from the flowmaster 2in exhaust system to a home made 3in exhaust. Was a pretty easy swap, as I have a bunch of 3in exhaust laying around. I just reused the flowmaster mufflers. The car is actually quieter now than with the 2in exhaust, well that is until I floor the throttle.
Bfenty (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:25 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

When my car was a street/strip car, I had a one piece exhaust system that spanned from the header collectors to the exhaust tips. Unbolting the exhaust from the header flanges and two rear brackets took only a few minutes on jackstands. I used a jack under the whole system to wheel the assembly out from under the car.
Bfenty (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 383vett
When my car was a street/strip car, I had a one piece exhaust system that spanned from the header collectors to the exhaust tips. Unbolting the exhaust from the header flanges and two rear brackets took only a few minutes on jackstands. I used a jack under the whole system to wheel the assembly out from under the car.
That's more or less what I want to do, so I can swap it out when I want to be loud but don't have to deal with the drone the rest of the time.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:03 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

The 85 has a single cat that bolts between the front "Y" and the rear "Y" to the mufflers. It is a quick unbolt and replace with a different rear "Y" and mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To Swapping between two exhaust systems

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Swapping between two exhaust systems