C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Where to Apply Syn Grease to Poly Bushings

Old 06-13-2018, 12:51 PM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Default Where to Apply Syn Grease to Poly Bushings

Quick question.... when assembling the poly bushings, the bore of the part is not lubed, nor is the outer portion of the bushing correct?

I should only lube the inner bore and the outer part of the sleeve... is that right?

Old 06-13-2018, 04:34 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I lube everything; Anything that can be lubed is lubed.
The following users liked this post:
ctmccloskey (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 06:17 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
I lube everything; Anything that can be lubed is lubed.
Same. I smothered the shhhh out of mine because I had the grease and didn't want it to squeak.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:02 AM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
I should only lube the inner bore and the outer part of the sleeve... is that right?
That's what I'd do. The sleeve that rides in the inner bore is supposed to rotate within the inner bore. So that definitely needs to be lubed. The urethane is not supposed to spin inside the outer metal shell. So I would not put grease on the outer surface of the urethane.
Old 06-14-2018, 08:01 AM
SLOASC4
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lube everything!

I recently spoke with the tech guy at Prothane, because one of my newly installed poly bushings on a control rod was rotating within the rod. They recommended lubing the bushings anywhere the polyurethane comes in contact with metal. Even the outside diameter of the bushings that gets pressed into the rods. Again, following the lube everywhere the bushing contacts metal, they also recommender to lube the "face" of the bushings where it connects to the brackets or spindles, etc.

He also said that (although not officially recommended by the manufacture,) you can use any type of weatherproof lube, such as an anti seize to lubricate the bushings. Since I was out of the specimen sized tubes of their special lube, I used some Copper based anti-seize on a few of the outside diameters, that are not supposed to move. I would stick to the special lube that the manufacture supplies with their bushings for lubing the inside diameter of the bushing where the metal sleeve is supposed to rotate within the bushing.

Last edited by SLOASC4; 06-14-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Not done
Old 06-14-2018, 08:10 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller
That's what I'd do. The sleeve that rides in the inner bore is supposed to rotate within the inner bore. So that definitely needs to be lubed. The urethane is not supposed to spin inside the outer metal shell. So I would not put grease on the outer surface of the urethane.
This is what Im leaning towards. VB&P also shows a video on doing it this way and it said several times NOT to lube the outer part of the bushing where it fits into the bore. Only lube the "working" parts of the bushing.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:46 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,704 Likes on 1,290 Posts

Originally Posted by 81c3
This is what Im leaning towards. VB&P also shows a video on doing it this way and it said several times NOT to lube the outer part of the bushing where it fits into the bore. Only lube the "working" parts of the bushing.
I agree. I don't think lubing the outer diameter of the bushing or the shell it presses into is a good idea, because that only encourages movement that isn't supposed to happen. We don't want that! in fact, with offset bushings if that rotation happens you will lose your alignment immediately. That makes no sense to me. OTOH...

Originally Posted by adamsullivan44
they also recommender to lube the "face" of the bushings where it connects to the brackets or spindles, etc.
This is something I forgot to include, and I agree with this recommendation. This is an area where the urethane "faces" could make contact with the metal tabs or lugs into which the arms are bolted.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to Apply Syn Grease to Poly Bushings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to Apply Syn Grease to Poly Bushings