C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ZF six speed problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Weird.

for me he had me take a measurement with calipers and give him the measurement.

a few weeks later i got a new shim that measured several thousandths of an inch thicker, and a new end plug to replace the one i had to pull to get out the shim.

i made my reply because i didnt want the OP to try the shim (and not be thick enough) and then claim the shimming doesnt work.

On a sidenote:
zfdoc is a great guy but im not sure how much time he still devotes to his job repairing the zf anymore.
Old 06-25-2018, 03:13 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
Weird.

for me he had me take a measurement with calipers and give him the measurement.

a few weeks later i got a new shim that measured several thousandths of an inch thicker, and a new end plug to replace the one i had to pull to get out the shim.

i made my reply because i didnt want the OP to try the shim (and not be thick enough) and then claim the shimming doesnt work.

On a sidenote:
zfdoc is a great guy but im not sure how much time he still devotes to his job repairing the zf anymore.
ZFdoc still works on them. As a matter of fact I just got off the phone with him. He lives near Phoenix, I live in Tucson. He's going to be coming to Tucson next week, I'm going to meet him and let him drive the car and see what he thinks is wrong with it and go from there. I told him what's going on with it and he thinks that it's probably a combination of a possible unsprung clutch disc (the car has a Fidanza aluminum flywheel and a Carolina Clutch stage 2 clutch in it, they were already in the car when I bought it) and a countershaft shim issue. I figure that letting the ZF guru drive the car himself would be much better than just trying to figure out what's going on with it over the phone. I'll post what he says later on next week after he drives the car.

Last edited by TheGreek!; 06-25-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGreek!
How many shims are in the kit?
1 shim.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:56 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

IMHO - your comment that it's quieter when cold is quite telling. Most likely the oil in the tranny is thicker when it's colder - and that is doing a better job of keeping the gear noise in check.

Point 1 - pulling the ZF gearbox is NOT a fun job - I've done it more than once and while there are some tricks that make the job a bit easier - the ZF box weighs over 125 LB, and there is nothing flat on the underside of the ZF tranny to let it lie flat on a tranny jack.

Look - you know the Previous Owner changed the clutch - so it's likely that he changed the trans fluid as well - who knows what fluid is in the box now ... Drain it out - and replace with something like Redline, Amsoil, or whatever fluid you prefer - as I said in my reply to your other post - do some searching on this forum about fluid choices - lots of info out there - but If I were you - I'd stay with the thicker fluids as they will help attenuate the gear noise - but without a DMF - don't expect the tranny to be quiet - it ain't gonna happen - particularly when the fluid is "warm".

Old 06-27-2018, 09:54 PM
mvettewhite
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Purple92
IMHO - your comment that it's quieter when cold is quite telling. Most likely the oil in the tranny is thicker when it's colder - and that is doing a better job of keeping the gear noise in check.

Point 1 - pulling the ZF gearbox is NOT a fun job - I've done it more than once and while there are some tricks that make the job a bit easier - the ZF box weighs over 125 LB, and there is nothing flat on the underside of the ZF tranny to let it lie flat on a tranny jack.

Look - you know the Previous Owner changed the clutch - so it's likely that he changed the trans fluid as well - who knows what fluid is in the box now ... Drain it out - and replace with something like Redline, Amsoil, or whatever fluid you prefer - as I said in my reply to your other post - do some searching on this forum about fluid choices - lots of info out there - but If I were you - I'd stay with the thicker fluids as they will help attenuate the gear noise - but without a DMF - don't expect the tranny to be quiet - it ain't gonna happen - particularly when the fluid is "warm".
Can you tell me what some of the tricks are?
Old 06-28-2018, 07:21 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Its my belief the dual mass flywheel is a heavy, performance robbing POS which is better suited as a boat anchor.

This heavy flywheel falls in with the l98 TPI low end TQ / other philosophies that GM has since abandoned.

the car is not a cadillac
Old 06-28-2018, 06:28 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mvettewhite
Can you tell me what some of the tricks are?
Sure...
1. Get the car up in the air - try to get the car a good foot in the air. Having the car way up in the air also helps to be able to tilt the tranny more aggressively to allow the shift lever to clear the body.
2. The "C" Beam (a.k.a. Torque arm) is not fun to remove - but if you pull the two bolts that hold the "batwing" (a.k.a. the rear diff mount) in place - the angles get a lot better to deal with. (Put a jack under the diff to control the rear diff assembly while doing this).
3. If the tranny comes out - but the bellhousing just doesn't want to come off - it could be that the release bearing is holding things up (this frequently happens with very worn clutch discs). If that is the case - pop the little cover that's installed over the rear access to the pivot ball. Use an allen wrench (12mm ???) to "unscrew" that pivot ball (remember - you're working backwards - so unscrewing from the back is "tightening". Once the pivot ball is unscrewed - the bellhousing should come right off.
4. The shift **** sounds like something that should be very easy to remove - sometimes that is NOT the case - I once had to cut one off with a hacksaw. Once you pop the plastic piece with shift pattern label - you will see a "square" metal pin that has to be removed in order to unscrew the shift know. That pin has to come straight Up (as in towards the car's roof). Sometimes small vice grips will get it out.- if not try drilling and tapping it - screwing in a bolt and prying it out that way..

The following users liked this post:
mvettewhite (06-29-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

True but it's not a Mack truck either. But the transmission sure sounds like it's from a Mack. Hell the trans in a Mack truck is probably quieter. I hate it and I'm going to fix it one way or another.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Its my belief the dual mass flywheel is a heavy, performance robbing POS which is better suited as a boat anchor.

This heavy flywheel falls in with the l98 TPI low end TQ / other philosophies that GM has since abandoned.

I don't disagree with you - but one of the main reasons that GM put the DMF in the car was to make the trans "quieter". Audi and other manufacturers still use DMF's today. Some buyers are very concerned about quietness - others don't give two. Unfortunately GM feels that they have to cater to all. Remember the demographics of the C4 - most buyers were over 50, and back then auto transmissions outsold manuals by a 3:1 margin.

If it were up to me - all Vettes would come with the Z51 handling package - and if you don't like the ride - Tough **** - the Cadillac dealer is just down the street - but that is NOT how the GM execs feel....
Old 06-28-2018, 07:04 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Everyone has focused in on the elements that cause the "ZF RATTLE"....but that is a rattle. Are we sure that's the problem?
The zf trans in my 96 sounds like crap, it makes a very loud buzzing sound when accelerating in all six gears.
The noise is from the countershaft rattling back and forth in its bore.
I think the problem may be something else. ZF rattle doesn't typically happen when underway/under load. And trans whine should diminish in higher gears....with none in 4th gear. I think it's something else.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:24 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
Everyone has focused in on the elements that cause the "ZF RATTLE"....but that is a rattle. Are we sure that's the problem?

I think the problem may be something else. ZF rattle doesn't typically happen when underway/under load. And trans whine should diminish in higher gears....with none in 4th gear. I think it's something else.
We'll know what the problem is soon enough because I'm meeting "ZFdoc" (the guy in Arizona that everybody on this forum with a ZF trans recommends sending their transmissions to) next week and letting him drive the car himself and tell me what he thinks is wrong with it. I'll post what he says the day he drives the car. And then I'm going to do what he says it will need to fix it.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:50 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

This might help; here is my car. '92 LT1/ZF6. This sound is pretty normal. Is this the sound that you're talking about? NOTE: right at the beginning of the vid where I start from a stop, then listen at 0:30 when I go WOT in frst gear.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-28-2018 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:28 PM
TheGreek!
Pro

This might help; here is my car. '92 LT1/ZF6. This sound is pretty normal. Is this the sound that you're talking about? NOTE: right at the beginning of the vid where I start from a stop, then listen at 0:30 when I go WOT in frst gear.

https://youtu.be/Qt_wwhModG8
I cant hear much in your vid, the sound quality isn't that great. I didn't hear anything that sounds like my trans in it. I'll try to make a vid (with sound) of my car this weekend but I have no idea if the sound quality will be decent enough to be of any use.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:15 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I run the Fidanza ALFW with a Stage II Carolina sprung hub clutch; pretty much what you have.

I will bet $100 zf doc will tell you that aluminum FW is the cause of that rattle and he will recommend his shim to solve the problem; or of course finding an EOM stock dual mass FW. There is a huge difference in quietness in the dual mass (in any gear, any speed, w or w/o clutch engaged).

Last edited by 856SPEED; 06-28-2018 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

^ OP didn't say he had a rattle...he said he had a buzzing sound while accelerating. That's not "ZF rattle", as far as I understand it.

I cant hear much in your vid, the sound quality isn't that great. I didn't hear anything that sounds like my trans in it. I'll try to make a vid (with sound) of my car this weekend but I have no idea if the sound quality will be decent enough to be of any use.
For real? Did you listen right at 0:30 when I hit it? Loudest thing in the car for the first 3-4 seconds is the trans. (?)

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 06-28-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:33 AM
TheGreek!
Pro

^ OP didn't say he had a rattle...he said he had a buzzing sound while accelerating. That's not "ZF rattle", as far as I understand it.

For real? Did you listen right at 0:30 when I hit it? Loudest thing in the car for the first 3-4 seconds is the trans. (?)
Maybe its the speakers in my laptop but all I hear is the engine and what sounds like wind noise or something. Were you driving with the windows open? Either way I don't hear any trans noise, at least not the noise that I hear from my trans anyway.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Maybe its the speakers in my laptop
I think that you may have identified the audio issue. Yep, windows open.

Get notified of new replies

To ZF six speed problem

Old 06-29-2018, 08:44 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

semantics...rattle.....buzz....people describe things in their own way. I run that set up and very familiar with what his experiences are, or at least I believe so....we shall see what ZF doc says....aluminum single mass FW’s really let you hear all kinds of noises....and it’s loud...nothing like your video, I can tell ya..
Old 06-29-2018, 11:18 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Copy that.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:19 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

BTW;

another option is to move the idle speed up until the noise is minimal....that’s where mine was annoying...w/o the clutch engaged.

I moved my idle speed up to 1,000 RPM which nearly eliminated the “ rocks in a can” sound w/o the clutch engaged...Now, I run a Holley HP ECM making that adjustment much easier.... but with my cam, the idle is smooth...just not as lumpy like it used to be...

Last edited by 856SPEED; 06-29-2018 at 03:19 PM.

Quick Reply: ZF six speed problem