C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Planning on having motor rebuilt, looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:26 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Bfenty,

Before you make any decisions on whether you can or you cannot do the work yourself, I would really recommend you invest a
few dollars into a book such as David Vizards "How to rebuild your small block Chevy".

Amazon Amazon

Not only would it show you how but it would give you a bit more knowledge of the process if you decide to have someone else do it for you. Then they wouldn't be speaking "Greek" as it were. A few bucks spent on a book (or books) and some nights/days reading such can save you a lot of money in the end and help you determine whether or not you could do it for yourself.

In my opinion, the hardest part of doing a stock, or even mild build is getting the engine out of the car. Especially if just doing stock it is a case of following the directions meticulously as the process was refined decades ago.

There are also other considerations involving a 1985 and that is the 85's computer. While a stock build won't require anything computer wise, an other than stock build could require the computer be tuned and the 85's is a bit lacking. There is lots of info on the web that talks about the 85's ECM, whether to keep it, to swap it out for a newer one with more capabilities, etc.

use this as a Google search

upgrading 1985 corvette computer

lots of information

the old saying about a little knowledge never hurt anybody is really true, especially when a fair amount of money could be involved

Last edited by drcook; 06-27-2018 at 08:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bfenty (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 08:33 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by drcook
Bfenty,

Before you make any decisions on whether you can or you cannot do the work yourself, I would really recommend you invest a
few dollars into a book such as David Vizards "How to rebuild your small block Chevy".

https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Y.../dp/1557880298

Not only would it show you how but it would give you a bit more knowledge of the process if you decide to have someone else do it for you. Then they wouldn't be speaking "Greek" as it were. A few bucks spent on a book (or books) and some nights/days reading such can save you a lot of money in the end and help you determine whether or not you could do it for yourself.

In my opinion, the hardest part of doing a stock, or even mild build is getting the engine out of the car. Especially if just doing stock it is a case of following the directions meticulously as the process was refined decades ago.

There are also other considerations involving a 1985 and that is the 85's computer. While a stock build won't require anything computer wise, an other than stock build could require the computer be tuned and the 85's is a bit lacking. There is lots of info on the web that talks about the 85's ECM, whether to keep it, to swap it out for a newer one with more capabilities, etc.

use this as a Google search

upgrading 1985 corvette computer

lots of information

the old saying about a little knowledge never hurt anybody is really true, especially when a fair amount of money could be involved
All great advice, thank you
Old 06-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

The last time I rebuilt a motor, P.A.W. was still around, they had an AMAZING catalog! But not sure what happened to Performance Automotive Warehouse, just know they aren't around anymore. It could be possible to source a shortblock, change the cam, and put on the heads of your choice, it is an option...

And building a motor isn't that difficult, building it right, it takes attention to detail, and being absolutely clean with everything. There are lots of books, tutorials, and probably now, stuff on you tube to show you how, and what you should look for, and do.

Just thoughts.

D.
Bfenty (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 05:50 PM
BlowerWorks
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

If you have no experience you want to learn on your engine >>>>>>>> ??????????
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:25 PM
drcook
Safety Car

I had no experience the first time I completely took the suspension out of a C2 Corvette and built it back factory new, nor had I ever tore the heads off a motor and did some motor work. Nor did I have experience with diesels when I took out the charge air cooler (intercooler) replaced it and the hot and cold side pipes, put an auxiliary radiator behind the bumper along with fabbing up the bracketry to put in a larger trans cooler.

It is all in the prep work and acquiring the proper tools. Prep yourself and get the knowledge, get the tools and then get the experience. Rebuilding a SBC is not rocket science. Working with and prepping an engine for forced air induction, sure, that is a science so you don't blow up the motor, but even that is doable with the right prep work.

Part of the prep work is acquiring the knowledge of what to do yourself and what to source out to someone that has the special skills and knowledge, like valve jobs and/or other machining type processes, etc etc.

Then all you have to do is meticulously follow the directions.
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:51 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

You need to have a goal. You want a reputable shop to do it. Any mods may require tuning. You want to know if that it can be done.

There is alot of pride with the " Built not bought" bs. If I could drop off the car pick it up in 10 weeks with xxx hp and driving like a dream on budget, I would be good with. Spending hundreds to thousands on tuning will get old quick. Just dealing with the maintenance would be good enough.
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 07:16 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Any mods may require tuning. You want to know if that it can be done.
that is it in a nutshell. however, if a person doesn't have all the money to pay someone to do a stock rebuild, I believe it is within the average persons capabilities to do so. (stock rebuild not modded).

dealing with a 1985 and its computer shortcomings is another matter entirely. you get into a situation like the ones of us that have 1996's. not a lot of folks tune them. in between 85 and 96, lots of folks still can

you also have to determine if the basic platform can handle more than a stock rebuild. how tired is the chassis ? does the suspension need refreshed ? how about the transmission. I don't remember in this thread if the OP said auto or manual. either could need work due to increased performance of the engine which will add money to the build.

today's shop hourly rate adds up quick, so if someone isn't really cash flush, paying a shop to do all the work can do a big hit.

my future transmission build is in that situation. I talked with the guy that I will have build the trans. he asked "we pull it or you pull it". so I asked what will the labor be and the answer was 1500 if we pull it. the labor hours of pulling the trans will pay for the parts that I want installed (since I have done business with him before and he knows I buy quality, he has no issues with me buying the parts). so unless I get to the point where I physically can't pull it anymore, I will.

but that is just my opinion
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 01:00 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
It's a 1985-sorry I post often enough that people usually know my car, but I should have stated that for clarity
does the $2500 quote include pulling / rebuilding / reinstalling the engine? or just machine shop labor and you pull and reinstall the engine yourself ? I know you're interested in keeping your car original...but before spending $2500 on a rebuild; I'd consider A BRAND NEW factory engine from chevy: they offer two long blocks for two piece rear seal, flat tappet cam engines pn# 12681429 @ $2,145 and pn# 19355658 @ $2,400. I'm sorry but this forum IS LITTERED, yes LITTERED with threads of persons just like yourself who get led down the primrose path and pay good money to have there engine "rebuilt"; sorry I'm not saying it can't work out right, but so often it doesn't. And NOBODY seems to back up therir work if something goes south. So if in the future you're selling this car, the top dollar would be "all original, never been touched"; the next would be" has new factory engine"...."it's been rebuilt" not so much unless its been rebuilt by some well recognized top end shop with a waiting room filled with trophy's and even then it's no guarantee...except I can guarantee that a rebuild of that quality is gone to be WAY MORE than $2,500. Save yourself a ton of heartache...and probably a bunch of money in the long run...and get a NEW engine with a warranty. Just my two cents.

Last edited by mtwoolford; 06-28-2018 at 01:22 AM.
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 07:48 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Bfenty
I've already got forged pistons so I'd probably keep those (they were stock on '85). Heads sounds like a good idea. A mild cam as well. The guy I took it to actually said that a cam was a bad idea. He said the car never seems to run right with a cam swap (he's THE guy for old chevy motors in this area and comes highly recommended)-however I see people on here suggesting it. I don't think he does tunes and I wouldn't know where to get a tune.
They usually fall into 2 categories. Either it will be close enough to stock where it wouldn't be worth the while and it will run right-ish or it will be a little more radical and won't run right. Get a dyno tune and it probably will. Brian Ebert, formerly of Hitech Motorsport in MN did my tuning. He is in http://jheinc.com and he has the equipment to do it.
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 10:13 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default My suggestion for rebuilt motor...

You'll need a hacksaw to cut an opening in your engine hood.

Last edited by RetroGuy; 06-28-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Bfenty (06-28-2018)
Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Bfenty
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 136 Posts
2017 C4 of Year Finalist

$2500 is I drop it off and 2-4 weeks later pick it up, includes all labor and parts for pulling and rebuilding the motor.

You've brought up some interesting points-a rebuild can cause issues, hadn't thought of it that way. The whole car is in pretty good shape, just 30 years old with pretty much everything original. The previous (original) owner did oil changes and that's about it. Honestly that's been a blessing overall as the last Vette I worked on had been extensively modified and was a huge PITA as nothing was where it was supposed to be.

I've got a lot to think about. If I buy a motor I'd probably go with a 383 for the extra power (that's what I'm told anyway, right?). I'm hesitant to get rid of the original motor, and maybe it doesn't NEED to be rebuilt, though it definitely needs a lot of new seals to stop oil leaking. I've put 2k miles on the car since buying it and changed spark plugs twice-a few of them consistently get fouled from oil getting into the cylinder. I also have oil getting flung onto the underside of the hood (probably from the front main seal leaking onto the harmonic balancer). I guess I thought that maybe it would be better to just rebuild the whole thing and know it's all good rather than plugging leaks one at a time. I plan on keeping the car for the long haul, so I don't mind putting some money into it as long as I'm not just throwing it away.

My goal with this car is a driveable street car that I can take for car shows etc. Extra power is of course wonderful, and something I'd love to have where practical, but it's not my main goal for the car. Even stock it feels powerful and fun to drive.

Thanks for all the advice, lots to think about. Might even just keep replacing spark plugs and topping off the oil for a while.
Old 06-28-2018, 01:04 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

One other thing to consider is buying a motor from a company like Summit Racing or JEG's. They have a variety of engine combinations in both short blocks or long blocks that may work for you and be within your budget. They have a line of GM replacement engines that are very reasonable in cost and their long block engines are assembled and ready to install. Or you can get a short block assembly (even a GM 383 engine) and add your choice of heads.

Even if you have your engine rebuilt locally, it's important that you decide on what it is you want from the new engine. How much extra HP and torque do you want? Is driveability going to be a concern? Is gas mileage an issue? Adding things like headers and a performance exhaust will help to add power, but will the increased noise be a factor? Given the age of the car, you shouldn't have to deal with emissions testing, but make sure you check on that. And as mentioned, a custom tune will be needed if you go with performance parts such as different heads, a cam, more displacement, etc. The ECM uses a replaceable chip, so you will need to find somebody that can do that work.

Quick Reply: Planning on having motor rebuilt, looking for suggestions