C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 C4: low torque and vibrations at highway speeds

Old 03-20-2018, 08:13 PM
joshjoshvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 C4: low torque and vibrations at highway speeds

Hello all!

Wanted to see if anyone had this problem or could help me diagnose it.

I've got a 87 4+3 C4 that I've been having some issues with. It seems to be working fine at low to moderate speeds, up to around 45-50mph in 2nd gear OD and 3rd gear. The main issue is when I'm accelerating up to highway speeds. Once I get into 3rd gear and around 50mph, there is almost no torque, i feel like I'm driving a geo prism or something... And as I'm trying to get up to speed in 3rd and 4th gear, the car starts vibrating pretty heavily, engine starts getting loud and feels bogged down. The past 2 days, it was also accompanied by a burning rubber smell. Talked to my mechanic briefly about it and he suspected it could be the clutch due to the burnt rubber smell. The clutch was just replaced about a year ago. (maybe a shitty part?)

Any ideas would be much appreciated. thanks!
Old 03-22-2018, 02:47 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Clutch normally will slip on hard acceleration. Are you running cat converters? Has OD unit been serviced?
Old 07-11-2018, 02:55 PM
joshjoshvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
Clutch normally will slip on hard acceleration. Are you running cat converters? Has OD unit been serviced?
Turned out it was the brake calipers getting locked up. Replaced them and its been good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To 87 C4: low torque and vibrations at highway speeds

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 C4: low torque and vibrations at highway speeds