C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reusing Brake Lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 05:55 AM
94c4er
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Reusing Brake Lines

I have another thread here whereas I am in the middle of replacing the ABS Pump on my 94 Auto. I am going through a lot of grief trying to get the lines disconnected from the pump without breaking them. Meanwhile I saw an instructional video that stated that ISO/BUBBLE Flares cannot be reused. Is this a true?? If so, I may as well give up and cut the lines and deal with replacing them!! I feel as though it might not be possible to get them off, however after soaking them for 5 days, I am considering a last ditch effort. I plan making (Line Sockets) by cutting a slit on impact sockets (12mm and 14mm) so as they will slip on the nut and use vice grips on the socket to keep the socket from spreading and see if the nuts will come off without breaking the line. So far, I have stopped as the line wrench starts to spread while applying pressure, so as not to round off the nut. However,if the flares are not reusable I am just wasting my time. Any comments??
Old 07-10-2018, 06:27 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I have seen somewhere that stainless steel replacement lines are available, but don't exactly remember where I saw them. Eastwood also sells flairing and bending tools that with a little careful work you could make up your own lines if need be.

Maybe try a 50-50 mix of ATF and Acetone, it gets into stuff where products like WD40, Kroil etc have failed.
I've also seen flair nut wrenches with differing degree of thickness on them. I've got a set of Craftsman (IIRC) that are thicker than others and so far have not spread while using them.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
94c4er (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 06:39 AM
94c4er
Advanced

I have found that Classic Tube has sets reasonably priced if I can't salvage mine, but looks like a fun job to replace them and that's why I am trying so hard not to go that route. The only easy things I've done on this car has been changing a fuel pump and adjusting air pressure in the tires, so I may as well prepare for the worst!!
Old 07-10-2018, 07:05 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Ive never heard that you have to replace the lines just because you disconnected them.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:40 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by 94c4er
I have another thread here whereas I am in the middle of replacing the ABS Pump on my 94 Auto. I am going through a lot of grief trying to get the lines disconnected from the pump without breaking them. Meanwhile I saw an instructional video that stated that ISO/BUBBLE Flares cannot be reused. Is this a true??
Post a link to that 'instructional video' so that you can get very direct responses. If that were so every time a brake hose was removed the ISO/BUBBLE would be unusable. The same would be said of the lines to a master cylinder. Rather than just saying 'IT AIN'T SO' it would be interesting to see. Now if they mentioned any steel line where the ID of the nut and the OD of the tubing were of questionable condition (exposed to corrosion from road treatment solutions or just plain corrosion) that would change the thoughts. The ISO/BUBBLE itself though ain't no way.

I've done tubing on trucks where it would have bee impossible to reuse because of 'corrosion'.
don hall (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 01:00 PM
94c4er
Advanced

Thanks for the replies, without this Forum I would have given up many times, but I have always managed to get r done with help from those who have done it before!! This is the video regarding reuse Bubble Flare Fittings and I do agree, condition of the flare would normally determine if you reuse it or not, but I have never dealt with ISO/Bubble Flares before. I will be altering the sockets today and then see if I can remove the lines. Guess I shouldn't worry about reusing them until I see how many break!!

Old 07-10-2018, 03:32 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Just happened to see something and thought of this thread. Crow foot flair nut wrenches:
Amazon Amazon

Those look to be pretty thick and I seriously doubt they'd spread and they take a ratchet so should be able to get just about any angle on them you need.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:06 PM
1984c4z51
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive allways had good luck useing knipex pliers they look like channel locks but way better the harder you push the tighter they squeeze
Old 07-10-2018, 04:41 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Have you actually measured the HEX of the nuts? I've absolutely no experience with the later C4 BPM Valve but all of the FSM specs seem to mention 13 lb ft for flare nuts every where (BPM Valve included). The AGS comments regarding never reuse certainly aren't passed on by OEMs in their service manuals. It's NOT even mention to check the condition of the 'bubble', no where is the spec mentioned for the bubble. Yes compression seals it but I can''t see where 13 lb ft would 'destroy' the compression of the connection. I poked around today after seeing your thread and every time the question is asked they seem to point towards that video as a reference or comments that the video has created. I grasp your idea of modifying the sockets and the crow-foots mentioned might be a good idea.

Everyday practice by line-technicians everywhere I'd say raises reasonable doubt and speculation regarding the comments. Would it be 'ideal'? Maybe!

What brand line-wrenches are you attempting to use?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.
94c4er (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018, 02:09 AM
94c4er
Advanced

Again, THANKS for your replies! The sockets I have are too tall for some of the nuts because of the bends, so I sorta used the old (paper in the socket trick) by using some emery cloth around the nut to take up slack between the Craftsman Line Wrenches and the nut. With the added thickness along with the grit of the emery cloth, I now have 5 of the 7 nuts loose. I have the other 2 soaking with PB Blaster again, hoping to get them in the next couple of days. Those 2 are on the sides and are for the Front and Rear Feeds to the unit and I slit some vacuum line and slipped it over the nuts, using the hose to funnel the PBB between the line and the nut, Just spraying them doesn't allow much of it to get there as it just drips off. Fingers and toes crossed.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:08 PM
94c4er
Advanced

Default Update:

Managed to get all lines off without breaking any, thanks to soaking and the purchase of some crows foot line wrenches. The fittings looked good so I installed the replacement pump.

Get notified of new replies

To Reusing Brake Lines

Quick Reply: Reusing Brake Lines