Rear end suspension bushings - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rear end suspension bushings

Old 07-10-2018, 10:43 PM
MikieG1971
CF Senior Member

Default Rear end suspension bushings

So i was convinced that the rear bearings were toast. My mechanic has informed me that in fact it is the bushings.
How much $ should this job typically cost?
Old 07-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Inb4 "don't put in poly"

I'm not sure on the cost of doing it. Are they doing every bushing in the rear suspension? It can get pretty involved.

Did they say which bushings were shot, or are you planning on having them all replaced?

Last edited by Pwnage1337; 07-10-2018 at 10:47 PM. Reason: my favorite color is chevy
Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 PM
MikieG1971
CF Senior Member

Yes, i plan to replace all.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:56 AM
Mr. Peabody
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

The bushings (poly) themselves are not that expensive but there is a lot of labor time involved in taking the rear suspension components apart and in many cases using a press to get the old bushings out and getting the new ones in. If you're going to own your C4 for any length of time this pretty much will have to be done at some point. The shop should be able to give you an estimate for time and materials although there are several real mechanics on here that can probably tell you pretty close. You can do this yourself and there are any number of people on here who have. It helps to access to a press.

Old 07-11-2018, 06:46 AM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

If you plan to keep your car and like to drive briskly, it will cost more than just bushings but at least consider the Banski suspension kit. The Bansi kit uses heim joints instead of bushings so the suspension parts can articulate better.

Old 07-11-2018, 08:29 AM
MikieG1971
CF Senior Member

What are the preferred bushings and who do we get em from?
Old 07-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Jaye Bass
CF Member

I'm having Banski stuff installed in my build. Its expensive vs an all poly setup but in the end a better technical solution. We'll see about the downstream wear/noise issues.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by MikieG1971 View Post
What are the preferred bushings and who do we get em from?
prothane or high energy. prothane cost less. There are serveral videos on replacement. It can be done with out a press by drilling a bunch of holes through bushing until you can force the remaining pieces out. New bushings can installed by hand and a block of wood.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:22 PM
hcbph
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jaye Bass View Post
I'm having Banski stuff installed in my build. Its expensive vs an all poly setup but in the end a better technical solution. We'll see about the downstream wear/noise issues.
I've had mine on for going on 2 years now. No additional noise, better handling. 2 things with mine, one is related to the product itself. The bottom end of the knuckle where the camber rod connects, not every car is the same. IIRC Banski set is measured for 1.7", turned out mine was 1.64" so I ended up having to adjust the spacers to fit. The other thing I did was every bolt I could get to the ends on I drilled for cotter keys (and castle nuts). I figured I did not want anything to ever come loose unexpectedly, and they haven't. If you look at the picture you'll see some of the cotter keys added to my install.

The Following User Says Thank You to hcbph For This Useful Post:
Jaye Bass (07-11-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM
zachaeous
CF Senior Member

I just finished installing poly bushings in both front and rear of my 84. I only needed a press for the front upper control arm bushings. I did everything else with a bench vice. The rubber on my original bushings was so deteriorated I could almost push a lot of them out with very little effort. Some of them I did use a drill and drilled holes all around before pushing them out. It did definitely improve the ride of my car and would do it again.

I think I had about $150.00 in purchasing the bushings. I got most off of them off ebay. The Banski parts are great but no more than I drive my 84 it was just not feasible for me to spend that much more money. Energy Suspension was the brand I purchased.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:05 AM
MikieG1971
CF Senior Member

What do you folks think of this set?
https://www.corvettepartscenter.com/collections/c4/products/late-1988-1996-corvette-suspension-bushing-kit
Old 07-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Fastnail
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '16

I'm not familiar with the material that is used in that set of bushings. I would want to see what someone else's experience is with them before purchase. Some folks do not like poly bushings, but have had a full set on my 96 for over 2 years, with some track time as well as street driving and have been very happy with them. I haven't experienced the binding that others have, but I may not be pushing mine as hard as they are. I believe you can get a full set of poly for about the same price.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Kevova
CF Senior Member

They are poly also. Never knew anyone using super pro. There is no head to head test I could find. They all are probably pretty close in characteristics.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear end suspension bushings

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: