Oil dipstick tube came out - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Notices
C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Oil dipstick tube came out

Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 AM
kcorus

Default Oil dipstick tube came out

Hey all. Having a hard time searching this forum and the web on this topic but I'm sure its out there. I have a C4 w/ an L98. The dipstick tube has been loose since I purchased the car. Yesterday, checking the oil, of course it popped out. I usually am pretty gentle pulling the stick but not this time. Can anyone tell me where on the block the tube inserts? I know the problem is common (loose and popping out or breaking) but I cant find the hole where to put it back in. No way I can actually see it either so I'm feeling for it w/ the tube. I'm seeing a lot of solutions on firming it up a bit though. An exploded view or a pic would help greatly also. Thanks in advance for any advice
Old 07-11-2018, 10:36 AM
TheBlaster9001
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kcorus View Post
Hey all. Having a hard time searching this forum and the web on this topic but I'm sure its out there. I have a C4 w/ an L98. The dipstick tube has been loose since I purchased the car. Yesterday, checking the oil, of course it popped out. I usually am pretty gentle pulling the stick but not this time. Can anyone tell me where on the block the tube inserts? I know the problem is common (loose and popping out or breaking) but I cant find the hole where to put it back in. No way I can actually see it either so I'm feeling for it w/ the tube. I'm seeing a lot of solutions on firming it up a bit though. An exploded view or a pic would help greatly also. Thanks in advance for any advice
I can get you a few pics after work. I used a boroscope to find where it slips in. You can feel it by hand, or if you get at a low enough angle (eyes above and towards the back of the car from the passenger front tire) you can see it. I can share a pic of how I mounted mine - I couldn't use the factory mount when I switched to longtube headers, so I had to improvise.

I don't think you'll be able to find it with the tube - if you take your left hand, stick your thumb up, and feel around, you can find it.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:10 AM
RWDsmoke
CF Senior Member

The dipstick tube is pressed in, it should fit really tight and is normally very difficult to remove. It should also have a bracket and bolt to hold it in place. I would replace it, new ones are cheap enough . Loose dipstick tubes can also leak.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:40 AM
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RWDsmoke View Post
The dipstick tube is pressed in, it should fit really tight and is normally very difficult to remove. It should also have a bracket and bolt to hold it in place. I would replace it, new ones are cheap enough . Loose dipstick tubes can also leak.
on my L98, the tube was not pressed in or a tight fit - snug/friction fit, but not tight. was able to remove it with minimal effort. basically, a twist and pull. referencing the FSM, fairly sure they call out a sealant with installation. I ran a small bead of black RTV around the bottom of the tube just below the bottom flange, and just pushed it back in place. the flange sets the depth of the tube at installation. zero leaks.

OP - since you didn't specify the year, i'm going to assume an L98. around the #6 cylinder where the oil pan and block mate, you'll see a slight bulge in the oil pan. just above that, on the block is the hole for the dip stick tube. near the top of the tube is a welded bracket. that bracket attaches to the aft stud (#6 exhaust port) holding the exhaust manifold. can't seem to find a really good pic of the assembly. first pic is somewhat generic. installation can be a bit tricky. hopefully you can get the idea --

best I can do...

Last edited by Joe C; 07-12-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:52 AM
kcorus

Thanks you guys for the assist. I took another look last night and was able to see it. The tube went right in, kind of easy, as in too easy. A new one is a must. The mounting bracket on it is totally rusted, half gone. Back on the web to shop for vette parts, thatís the fun part.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:43 PM
kanvasman
CF Senior Member

Before you go buy a new one, try pulling the tube out and put the end that goes into the block into a vise. Gently crush it so that it is not perfectly round. That will help hold it in place and put the RTV on it before you slide it in. Give the RTV time to cure before you start the car. Might not work ( it has for me over the years on various cars) but it is worth a shot. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:01 AM
kcorus

Originally Posted by kanvasman View Post
Before you go buy a new one, try pulling the tube out and put the end that goes into the block into a vise. Gently crush it so that it is not perfectly round. That will help hold it in place and put the RTV on it before you slide it in. Give the RTV time to cure before you start the car. Might not work ( it has for me over the years on various cars) but it is worth a shot. Good luck.
I'll pick up some RTV in the next few day's. As for the rusted bracket I'll be creative. Maybe a conduit hanger shaped to fit.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:20 AM
Joe C
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by kcorus View Post
I'll pick up some RTV in the next few day's. As for the rusted bracket I'll be creative. Maybe a conduit hanger shaped to fit.
- be creative. you'll be surprised what a little aluminum and a couple pop rivets can do. just a heads up - these tubes and dipsticks are not universal. you yours is model specific - just not a matter of running out to autozone for a replacement. try and salvage what you have before any replacement.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:31 PM
ctmccloskey
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

If your bracket is rusted then you go buy a fuel line mounting clip, I am not sure what they are called but a clamp with the rubber on it to protect the hose. I have used these to make oil dipsticks stay in their prospective holes. Cheap and easy!

When I built my big block using a non-stock oil pan it forced me to change my dipstick. I simply made the part that slips into the hole a little less "round" and used silicone to seal it. Then I added 8 quarts, ran it for about five minutes and marked a new "full line". I used a little file to mark the upper and lower ranges, probably still there.

IF you use silicone be sure to use the absolute minimum as you do not want a chunk of silicone floating around your lube system. All you need is a very small amount to "seal" the tube in the hole. I had one car where I put an o-ring under the flat part that stops the tube from going further into the oil pan. That worked great and it never leaked.

"Joe C" That engine of yours is "Too" clean! I have tried but have never been able to duplicate that beautiful work you do! You must work on aircraft or something....... You seem to think outside of the "normal" car tricks! Keep up the great work helping these fellow Corvette owners!

Good Luck keeping the oil where it belongs and at the right level, all at the same time, without leaking dinosaur juice on the asphalt!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil dipstick tube came out

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: