C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
Isaiah_moski
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds

Hey all, I gotta 86 corvette that has started squeaking very slightly after being parked on a slant for a couple days. It is only noticeable at low speed while going straight or slightly right. When I turn left it goes away. Any ideas? On another note, the rubber on one of my hoses seems to be melting. Is this just due to age? It does run a little hot sometimes, up to 235 in traffic.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:57 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

From my experience the c4 suspension will make an occasional squeak due to its design geometry. Parking on a slant will definitely put different pressures on different suspension angles. If the squeak goes away in a short amount of time, I'd not worry too much. If the noise is persistent, I'd get it looked at.

Can you give more information on the melting (A picture would be great) hose? You are a bit vague with your description.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:08 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaiah_moski
Hey all, I gotta 86 corvette that has started squeaking very slightly after being parked on a slant for a couple days. It is only noticeable at low speed while going straight or slightly right. When I turn left it goes away. Any ideas? On another note, the rubber on one of my hoses seems to be melting. Is this just due to age? It does run a little hot sometimes, up to 235 in traffic.
Is the sound based on speed, or is it over bumps?
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM
Isaiah_moski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
From my experience the c4 suspension will make an occasional squeak due to its design geometry. Parking on a slant will definitely put different pressures on different suspension angles. If the squeak goes away in a short amount of time, I'd not worry too much. If the noise is persistent, I'd get it looked at.

Can you give more information on the melting (A picture would be great) hose? You are a bit vague with your description.
As I looked closer it wasn't a hose melting it was just a small leak and the fluid burnt and it looked like oil, so never mind about the burning hoses. Thanks though!
Old 07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Isaiah_moski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
Is the sound based on speed, or is it over bumps?
More based on speed, I don't hear it when going above 30ish, bumps don't help though. It is more noticeable on bumps but only when going slow.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:42 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

It’s an old car! No worries!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi

Jack the rear up get under and spin the wheels, listen for squeaks at the half shaft universal joints.
The outer ones closest to brakes usually loose their grease and become a rusty powder, I replace the universal joints every 5 years on average.

Push / pull the half shafts and look/ feel for any play when moving wheel back and forward.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 PM
TheBlaster9001
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Isaiah_moski
More based on speed, I don't hear it when going above 30ish, bumps don't help though. It is more noticeable on bumps but only when going slow.
Follow what the other guy said about spinning the wheels and listening for the noise. Also, go ahead and grease the hood spring and latch assemblys, they can squeak some if dry.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Isaiah_moski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi

Jack the rear up get under and spin the wheels, listen for squeaks at the half shaft universal joints.
The outer ones closest to brakes usually loose their grease and become a rusty powder, I replace the universal joints every 5 years on average.

Push / pull the half shafts and look/ feel for any play when moving wheel back and forward.
Will do, thanks!
Old 07-14-2018, 02:05 PM
Isaiah_moski
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by TheBlaster9001
Follow what the other guy said about spinning the wheels and listening for the noise. Also, go ahead and grease the hood spring and latch assemblys, they can squeak some if dry.
Alright thanks for the advice.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds

Quick Reply: 86 corvette slight squeaking sound at low speeds