C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need a picture or diagram

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 AM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Default Need a picture or diagram

I am trying to get my fuel average gauge to work, everything else in the dic is working right. When I upgraded my '85 to the 165 ecm I also did the burnoff relay mod. When I did that mod I took the connector out of the wiring because it was broken, I kept it for reference of the colors of wires because the colors coming from the harness were different than the ones on the old module. Now I can't find that old connector and I need to know what the colors and locations were on the burnoff module itself. Mainly I need to know what color wire connected to the green wire on the bo mudule.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I am trying to get my fuel average gauge to work, everything else in the dic is working right. When I upgraded my '85 to the 165 ecm I also did the burnoff relay mod. When I did that mod I took the connector out of the wiring because it was broken, I kept it for reference of the colors of wires because the colors coming from the harness were different than the ones on the old module. Now I can't find that old connector and I need to know what the colors and locations were on the burnoff module itself. Mainly I need to know what color wire connected to the green wire on the bo mudule.
Look at 6E3-52 in the '85 FSM - That shows the BO module wiring and also the connector just above it. Maybe this eBay offering could be used for your wire ID also I have no idea not ever having owned or changed an '85 to '165 ECM. FSM mentions circuit 461 being ORANGE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Ca...-/152480887091

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-13-2018 at 03:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight 85 (07-13-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:30 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Look at 6E3-52 in the '85 FSM - That shows the BO module wiring and also the connector just above it. Maybe this eBay offering could be used for your wire ID also I have no idea not ever having owned or changed an '85 to '165 ECM. FSM mentions circuit 461 being ORANGE.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Ca...-/152480887091
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I already looked at that diagram most of them tell what the incoming colors are but not the color coming out I'm pretty sure the green wire from the old burnoff module is the one I need to figure out, it is the only color I really don't have figured out. There is an orange wire that goes to A8 on the ecm, it is in place. I was able to find a couple different diagrams on Google so once the weekend cruise nights are over I will tie into it Monday. Thanks for the response, I knew you would jump right in to help.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:58 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Thanks, I'm pretty sure I already looked at that diagram most of them tell what the incoming colors are but not the color coming out I'm pretty sure the green wire from the old burnoff module is the one I need to figure out, it is the only color I really don't have figured out. There is an orange wire that goes to A8 on the ecm, it is in place. I was able to find a couple different diagrams on Google so once the weekend cruise nights are over I will tie into it Monday. Thanks for the response, I knew you would jump right in to help.
That diagram shows the pinned colors on the BO Module and if you look at the first section of the wiring diagrams all of the circuit #'s are ID'd by color and function. It appeared to me it was an easy match. In that diagram you can see where #461 ORANGE breaks/spliced directed towards the DIC and the ALCL on it's way to the ECM A8.- it appears to also reference the cavity of the appropriate connectors.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:48 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
That diagram shows the pinned colors on the BO Module and if you look at the first section of the wiring diagrams all of the circuit #'s are ID'd by color and function. It appeared to me it was an easy match. In that diagram you can see where #461 ORANGE breaks/spliced directed towards the DIC and the ALCL on it's way to the ECM A8.- it appears to also reference the cavity of the appropriate connectors.

I'm sure it is an easy match for most anybody with some experience with wires, I don't fir into that category. I've stated many times that I hate electrical problems but I keep trying anyway. At this point I found a loose end of an orange wire and it has continuity to the A8 terminal and the aldl position E. I know this wire was not loose earlier this year because the gauge worked then. I'm going to see what I can find tomorrow.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

don't have any time to add to this thread - heading out in a few minutes to visit an old (very sick) friend. anyway, if you go to the electrical schematics (not the electrical diagrams) in the back of the FSM, they should provide additional information on wiring color coding. locate the burn-off module - it may help. good luck - check back later this evening when I have more time. in any event, you 're in good hands with WV....

Last edited by Joe C; 07-15-2018 at 08:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight 85 (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe C
don't have any time to add to this thread - heading out in a few minutes to visit an old (very sick) friend. anyway, if you go to the electrical schematics (not the electrical diagrams) in the back of the FSM, they should provide additional information on wiring color coding. locate the burn-off module - it may help. good luck - check back later this evening when I have more time. in any event, you 're in good hands with WV....
Thanks Joe, I really appreciate the help from guys like WV and you. I have it pretty much narrowed down now to a broken wire someplace down deep in the dash. I have the orange wire that is showing continuity from the ecm, pin A8, to the aldl pin E and a open ended wire right where the relays are mounted, right where the BO module was. I am not going to chase this any further at this time, once winter sets in then I will dig deeper for the other end of that orange wire. The good news is, I think I have found the cause of my code 36 and if I have then I have made a huge step forward. Don't even ask what I found, just remember I said I was not good at wiring, with that I am out of here, THANKS GUYS.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a picture or diagram

Quick Reply: Need a picture or diagram