C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Grease Sleeves in Poly Pushings?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:51 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Grease Sleeves in Poly Pushings?

Fellow Vetters,
After a poly bushing has been installed, should the inside of the steel sleeve and the bolt that passes through it be greased too? If so, I assume that white grease would be the best to use, especially if the car is driven year round. Thanks in advance!

SnorT91Man
Old 07-15-2018, 07:34 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by SnorT91Man
Fellow Vetters,
After a poly bushing has been installed, should the inside of the steel sleeve and the bolt that passes through it be greased too? If so, I assume that white grease would be the best to use, especially if the car is driven year round. Thanks in advance!

SnorT91Man
to be honest, I've never seen anything in the instructions about any lubrication on the INSIDE of the steel sleeves. personally, I put a light film of the same silicone grease as used with the poly bushings. pretty sure there was no additional lube used at the factory. my 2-cents -- it can't hurt anything.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:09 AM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I use anti seize on the bolt so it doesn't rust together with the sleeve.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

I've done poly on two vehicles and I grease EVERYTHING.....no problems.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:50 PM
MatthewMiller
Le Mans Master

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,291 Posts

Originally Posted by metal tech
I use anti seize on the bolt so it doesn't rust together with the sleeve.
I'd probably do it that way, and for the same reason. That's the only reason to put anything inside the sleeve. The sleeve and bolt should not be rotating against each other - the bolt cinches the frame tabs to the inner sleeve so that the sleeve remains stationary while the urethane bushing rotates around the outer surface of the sleeve.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:40 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

I greased all the parts on my POLY installation on my C3. Six months later they started squeaking and they only stop when I spray liquid graphite around the bushings. I hope that the Polyurethane products have improved, I did mine over 22 years ago and they are still tight, they just squeak when they get a chance. I have found that the graphite does the best at quieting the bushing down so every spring I spray the bushings well.

Now that I am getting older I don't hear it as much, maybe there are benefits to getting old with a Corvette!
The following users liked this post:
Red 91 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 08:50 PM
auburn2
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Not Vette specific, but my rule is when doing suspension work I put silicone grease on everything that slides, rotates, pivots or compresses. The only exception is things fitted with a zirk fitting, they get chassis grease of course. From my point of view it can't hurt and one thing that totally sucks is taking apart a new suspension to stop a squeak (ask me how I know)

Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM
kael
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 189 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Actual poly used makes a difference. For example Energy Suspension Red polys tend to squeak eventually. Black, on the other hand, are graphite impregnated, lube built in. I use the grease on the black anyway, makes them install easier if nothing else.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:54 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I greased the poly bushes liberally in and out with the lube that came with them, was good for a year and got the odd squeak now and then.
I ended up going to Banski heim jointed struts and trailing arms, no more squeaks from the rear .
Have been toying the idea of grease nipples to the front upper and lower control arms to grease the polys from time to time....
Water spray will eventually get in there, the grease gets absorbed a little I think.
A lot on this forum say they need to be removed and greased every 10 or so years, but my case is every 2 to 5 .....

Get notified of new replies

To Grease Sleeves in Poly Pushings?

Quick Reply: Grease Sleeves in Poly Pushings?