C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Preventative Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
appledeveloper
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preventative Maintenance

We have a 1990 with 69,000 miles that was my wife's mothers car so we're the original owner.
We maybe drive it 2,500-3,500 miles a year and store it in the winter here in Michigan.
Currently runs great with the exception if it's really hot 90+ and you sit in traffic it might overheat and stall.

We haven't done a lot to the motor other that last summer I replace the spark plugs.

It stalled a couple of weeks ago after driving 200 miles. It would turn over but not start thought it was the fuel system but ended up being a bad battery and battery side post bolt had crossed threaded.

Should I start replacing or updating things? Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, distributer, radiator flush (it's a nice green color now looks clean)??

I was going to do a throttle body clean this weekend. I use Sea Foam about every other tank of premium gas.

Thanks for any input!
Old 07-17-2018, 03:51 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Me? I'd keep it to simple maintenance. Plugs, wires, cap, filters (air and gas) and fluids. Unless you KNOW your injectors need replacing, I'd leave them alone.

Check in the area between the AC condenser and the radiator as they can fill up with road debris and effect your engine cooling.

Last edited by billschroeder5842; 07-17-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:58 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

no need for the frequent seafoam. Is it still overheating (how hot is hot)?
Wondering if you got some kind of ignition gremlin going on (like a coil) sometimes when components get weak they act up when they are hot.

Last edited by cv67; 07-17-2018 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:12 PM
appledeveloper
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My guess is 220-230 for the temp it drops pretty quick once you get moving, I'll cut back on the sea foam. What are your thoughts about changing the fuel pump out?

What all could I change on the distributor cap? Do you think doing the throttle body will help?

The stalls only happen when idling i forgot to mention that.

Thanks again!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:02 PM
Cruisinfanatic
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Clifton Park, NY ..............Clearwater, FL ... 85 Original Owner
Received 553 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by appledeveloper
We have a 1990 with 69,000 miles that was my wife's mothers car so we're the original owner.
We maybe drive it 2,500-3,500 miles a year and store it in the winter here in Michigan.
Currently runs great with the exception if it's really hot 90+ and you sit in traffic it might overheat and stall.

We haven't done a lot to the motor other that last summer I replace the spark plugs.

It stalled a couple of weeks ago after driving 200 miles. It would turn over but not start thought it was the fuel system but ended up being a bad battery and battery side post bolt had crossed threaded.

Should I start replacing or updating things? Fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, distributer, radiator flush (it's a nice green color now looks clean)??

I was going to do a throttle body clean this weekend. I use Sea Foam about every other tank of premium gas.

Thanks for any input!
What in the world for?

Old 07-18-2018, 04:31 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Changing the fuel filter, ATF & filter, engine oil & filter would be advised. If a fuel pressure check shows a strong FP I would not mess with it. If coolant looks clean and system holds pressure well it's fine, IMO.

Since she overheats in traffic I would check condition of the air dam, debris between condenser and radiator and in front of condenser.
Also I would run a 160deg F T-stat and unplug the hi-side A/C fan switch to run the fan all the time, at least in hot weather. I've always run my '88s (for >18yrs now) with the low temp T-stat and love the (slightly) increased performance as well as a cooler running engine.

Get notified of new replies

To Preventative Maintenance

Quick Reply: Preventative Maintenance