C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

L98 budget engine upgrades. Will it work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by C4NightRider
Sounds like I might be opening up a can of worms here if I replace the cam. Maybe I'll plan around the mods you mentioned. As long as I get to 280-300CHP I'll be happy. Would building around a hyd flat tappet cam be more beneficial? Apologies if that's a stupid question. Once we get into the more technical stuff, I have no idea.
These two flat tappet cams will work fine for a mild application and may not require a chip change.

Old 07-24-2018, 01:20 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I own a Vette (L98) and an IROC-Z (LB9), both '88s and I could literally swap the intakes, save for possibly some bolt angle issues. In fact, when I suspected a faulty MAF in the Vette, I simply swapped in the MAF from the IROC-Z.

When I built up my prior '88 Vette I installed a slightly larger TB, ported the plenum & runners as well as Siamesed the lower runners into the intake base. These mods allowed the engine to pull pretty well to 6k rpm, as shown on the dyno pulls.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:00 AM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I am in Perth Australia and did the top end upgrades about 6 years ago on my 87 convertible. It was a great project to learn about the C4. I had a lot of help from forum members which I am very grateful for. I did the cam and heads as well as the intake / plenum. I went the superram route. I also went for a hiflo cat and long tube headers. I sourced components from the US, Canada and Australia. I also had a go at tuning it myself. Cost me about $7500 all up but that was when the Aussie dollar was on parity with the greenback. I also had all the emission control removed. My gearbox has now also been shiftkitted and beefed up. I also put some reconditioned injectors in.

I sold my refurbished and skimmed stock ally heads to a club member locally for $1000. He got a good buy I think.

I initially put the long tube headers on and to be honest I didn't notice any improvement.

It goes like a rocketship now. Tune still needs a bit of work around idle but otherwise I am very happy.

Last edited by Lemme; 07-24-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:03 AM
C4NightRider
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking to a guy today who said a good budget option for my power desires would be some vortec iron heads. I also found an article online that said the vortec 170cc iron heads flow 228 cfm, whereas the later model stock l98 alloy heads flow 200 cfm. Could anyone back these statements up? Or would it just be a waste of time and money?
Old 07-24-2018, 07:36 AM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Single plane intake with a throttle body
Old 07-24-2018, 10:44 AM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 465 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by C4NightRider
I was talking to a guy today who said a good budget option for my power desires would be some vortec iron heads. I also found an article online that said the vortec 170cc iron heads flow 228 cfm, whereas the later model stock l98 alloy heads flow 200 cfm. Could anyone back these statements up? Or would it just be a waste of time and money?
Iron vortec heads do flow well and they would make more power then the 113 alum but you need a specific aftermarket intake made by SDPC to make them work. The ports on the vortec heads are taller then standard SBC ports and they may leak to atmosphere without the intake manifold.

Quick Reply: L98 budget engine upgrades. Will it work?