C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C5 to C4 Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:39 PM
sgtcongo
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 8 Posts
Default C5 to C4 Brake upgrade

Hi - I have a C4 with Salad Shooter Wheels, 17" x 9.5" 56MM offset. Is there anyway to Fit the C5 Brakes under these? I put all together and looks like im .25 to .5 inches too wide. Has anyone ever used spacers to get them to fit and would it work? I should have studied a bit before i invested in 2 sets of these wheels for my track car so would like to get them to work with these as opposed to buying new wheels all around. The second Pic is so you can see the Wheels.

Old 08-01-2018, 08:15 AM
blackozvet
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 216 Posts

every mod to a c4 results in a problem, and every fix creates another one !

when I did some reading about the swap others either used adaptors (as opposed to spacers) or machined out the inside of the stock rim.
not sure that cutting out the inside of the stock rim is good for strength or balance but some have done it.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

Minimum thickness on a 'pass through' spacer that retains a 'hub-centric' mount that with your use I'd think requires it is something very near 15mm. I believe mine are 16mm and the fellow who did mine thought he wanted to go no less than what we did. I don't recall - it's been 12/13 years. Also many sanctioning organizations don't allow spacers. Adding a 15mm pass-through allows you to retain the 'hub-cenrtic' feature but requires longer wheel studs also. Studs are no issue.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:20 AM
sgtcongo
Intermediate

I Ordered some 15mm adaptors and I will try those. Should I add a set to the rear as well or is the small difference OK?
Old 08-01-2018, 10:36 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sgtcongo
I Ordered some 15mm adaptors and I will try those. Should I add a set to the rear as well or is the small difference OK?
I didn't think that quality 'adapters' were available in less than maybe 19mm. How about a link to what you've bought. These have a 'hub-centric' to wheel and also the hub feature on the car? You want to 'try before' buying more.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-01-2018 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:54 AM
sgtcongo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I didn't think that quality 'adapters' were available in less than maybe 19mm. How about a link to what you've bought. These have a 'hub-centric' to wheel and also the hub feature on the car? You want to 'try before' buying more.
Here is what i Ordered off EBAY. - https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-HUBCENTRI...53.m1438.l2649
Old 08-01-2018, 11:25 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

The only issue I've seen discussed with a reduced thickness adapter is the stud spinning in the adapter. The splines on the stud is very short. I believe the studs could be pinned to avoid the spinning. It will be interesting to see what you actually find when they're 'in hand'. Frequent wheel/tire changes I'd think would increase the likelihood of stud spinning.

*** If the adapter is drilled through each stud OD to ID it would seem much easier to drive the roll-pin through rather than attempt to remove roll-pin when attempting to replace a stud with a slide-hammer or whatever.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-01-2018 at 12:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
sgtcongo (08-01-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 07:45 PM
tdereggi
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

SGTCONGO,

Im also just about to upgrade my 85 to big brakes. (after reading about a million forum posts on the topic :-). I face the same question.... what I will I do about spacers/adapters, to make my sawblades work?
With all the write ups out there, the one thing that I havent been able to find documented is the caliper overhang measurements of a stock C5/C6 caliper/rotor setup.
(the measurement from the rotor's hat face wheel attachment point to the farthest outside edge of the Caliper). Most after market manufacturers provide that info for their own product models.

Since you are in process of doing the C5 mod, and have the calipers and rotors installed, would you mind measuring that distance and posting it. ?

Im likely going C6 or WIllwood, but I bet the information would help others, regardless of rim type.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:28 PM
sgtcongo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tdereggi
SGTCONGO,

Im also just about to upgrade my 85 to big brakes. (after reading about a million forum posts on the topic :-). I face the same question.... what I will I do about spacers/adapters, to make my sawblades work?
With all the write ups out there, the one thing that I havent been able to find documented is the caliper overhang measurements of a stock C5/C6 caliper/rotor setup.
(the measurement from the rotor's hat face wheel attachment point to the farthest outside edge of the Caliper). Most after market manufacturers provide that info for their own product models.

Since you are in process of doing the C5 mod, and have the calipers and rotors installed, would you mind measuring that distance and posting it. ?

Im likely going C6 or WIllwood, but I bet the information would help others, regardless of rim type.
Sure I'll get my spacers in a couple of days I'll post it then. I raced this year with C4 brakes, but once I get the spacers I'm reinstalling the C5 units.

Last edited by sgtcongo; 08-02-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: wrong data
Old 08-04-2018, 01:24 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

I run the c5 setup on my champ car; use some 15mm spacers and you should be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
sgtcongo (08-06-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C5 to C4 Brake upgrade

Quick Reply: C5 to C4 Brake upgrade