C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Double Sded Tape for Headliner

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 02:34 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Double Sded Tape for Headliner

On my 1993 Convertible the headliner on the Factory Hardtop has started to sag and drop on one edge. There appears to be Double sided tape underneath installed by the Factory (American Hardtops) which has lost its' strength. Does any body know what kind of Tape will work to hold the heavy cloth to the fiberglass. I do not want to use liquid glue or spray glue.
Thanks. Barrier
Old 08-01-2018, 03:51 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

Nothing special on the tape. Just go to the hardware store and find some tape that will adhere properly to fabric and metal alike.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:17 AM
JETS C3-C4
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 93 Posts

Make sure the tape is designed for hot temperatures as it is on the roof and sun will get it pretty hot. I would suggest 3M double sided body molding tape. I have used it in high temperature location and has held up. Just my .02

Last edited by JETS C3-C4; 08-04-2018 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:20 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Default Double Sided Tape

Thanks for the responses!
I purchased The Gorilla Heavy Duty Tape, Highest weight rating (30 lbs with temp range -40 to +248). Followed directions, even braced it overnight. Started to fail Sunday morning. It was very hot out and my car is Polo Green which absorbs heat. However the old tape held for 20+ years under same conditions.
Does anyone know of a higher temp range and weight rating. I cannot seem to find any descriptive listings with higher specs for 3M Tapes. The model number and who sells it would help.
Thanks, Barrier

Originally Posted by JETS C3-C4
Make sure the tape is designed for hot temperatures as it is on the roof and sun will get it pretty hot. I would suggest 3M double sided body molding tape. I have used it in high temperature location and has held up. Just my .02
Old 09-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Barrier
Drifting

Default Headliner

I tried this Gorilla Tape. As soon as the Summer Temperature and sun heated the top it started to sag. I used brace to apply pressure. Any other suggestions?
Thanks Barrier

Originally Posted by Barrier
Thanks for the responses!
I purchased The Gorilla Heavy Duty Tape, Highest weight rating (30 lbs with temp range -40 to +248). Followed directions, even braced it overnight. Started to fail Sunday morning. It was very hot out and my car is Polo Green which absorbs heat. However the old tape held for 20+ years under same conditions.
Does anyone know of a higher temp range and weight rating. I cannot seem to find any descriptive listings with higher specs for 3M Tapes. The model number and who sells it would help.
Thanks, Barrier
Old 09-09-2018, 11:32 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Non tape fix

I tried this Gorilla Tape. As soon as the Summer Temperature and sun heated the top it started to sag. I used brace to apply pressure. Any other suggestions?
Thanks Barrier
My headliner cloth also sagged and this is how I fixed it: I removed the top. Set it upside down on a blanket on the floor. I used a putty knife / spatula (thin edge but not too sharp) and carefully pressed the loose fabric material back into the seams. Do this along the rear edge, and a little on the rear sides if needed. It's almost like "stretching a carpet." To keep the material from slipping back, I used a bead of black silicone along the rear edge and carefully smoothed it in/on with my finger. Let it dry for a few hours then carefully replace the top. If you're neat with the silicone bead, it will look good. This technique makes the headliner tight, however it will be pulled a little away from the inner roof top, by about a 1/4" - 1/2". I did this months ago, and this process has held tight even when driving on hot days with the windows down...It works!

Last edited by RetroGuy; 09-09-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:57 PM
Barrier
Drifting

Default Headliner

Thanks for the response RetroGuy, From your photo your car looks to be a Targa top model. my car is a Convertible with the Removable Hardtop. as I recall from my '86 the Targa Top Headliner uses a different type of Headliner. Mine has a free standing Thick pad that is simply attached with a Double sided tape. The tape that was used looks to be original. There is no lip or seams. As I understand these Tops were all made by ASC corperation near Bowling Green. The tape was a Mesh mesh type of Double sided tape that after 25 years softened and lost its grip.
Barrier

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
My headliner cloth also sagged and this is how I fixed it: I removed the top. Set it upside down on a blanket on the floor. I used a putty knife / spatula (thin edge but not too sharp) and carefully pressed the loose fabric material back into the seams. Do this along the rear edge, and a little on the rear sides if needed. It's almost like "stretching a carpet." To keep the material from slipping back, I used a bead of black silicone along the rear edge and carefully smoothed it in/on with my finger. Let it dry for a few hours then carefully replace the top. If you're neat with the silicone bead, it will look good. This technique makes the headliner tight, however it will be pulled a little away from the inner roof top, by about a 1/4" - 1/2". I did this months ago, and this process has held tight even when driving on hot days with the windows down...It works!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:01 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts

Thanks for the response RetroGuy, From your photo your car looks to be a Targa top model. my car is a Convertible with the Removable Hardtop. as I recall from my '86 the Targa Top Headliner uses a different type of Headliner. Mine has a free standing Thick pad that is simply attached with a Double sided tape. The tape that was used looks to be original. There is no lip or seams. As I understand these Tops were all made by ASC corperation near Bowling Green. The tape was a Mesh mesh type of Double sided tape that after 25 years softened and lost its grip.
Barrier
Well, I hope others with a removable targa top (similar to my '96) may be able to utilize my repair technique...
Old 09-10-2018, 02:08 PM
28uniflite
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

My headliner was sagging, so I decided to remove it completely. I carefully cleaned the underside of the fiberglass top, then painted it with a few coats of flat black paint. My car is white, so I don't have any issues with heat from the sun, This may not be the best option for darker colored cars.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:30 PM
car addict
Burning Brakes

Received 225 Likes on 177 Posts

On my 1993 Convertible the headliner on the Factory Hardtop has started to sag and drop on one edge. There appears to be Double sided tape underneath installed by the Factory (American Hardtops) which has lost its' strength. Does any body know what kind of Tape will work to hold the heavy cloth to the fiberglass. I do not want to use liquid glue or spray glue.
Thanks. Barrier
Suggestion: https://smile.amazon.com/3M-38583-Ex...s=3m+trim+tape

I have used this tape for exterior trim, but not headliner. I have been very impressed with its holding power.

There is also an "industrial" velcro at my local ACE

Get notified of new replies

To Double Sded Tape for Headliner

Quick Reply: Double Sded Tape for Headliner