C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Champion radiator installation and fit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:10 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Champion radiator installation and fit...

This is in regard to a 1996 CE Coupe, LT4/ZF6...

Okay, not to be rude, but I know I am going to get a lot of replies like "Dewitt's", and not much else...but honestly, I can't and won't spend $500 on a replacement radiator right now.

With that out of the way...My radiator was leaking. "Why not upgrade", I thought. I went middle of the road, and got a Champion 3-row. Maybe shoulda gone 2-row, but we're past that point. Trimmed the bushings on bottom towards the condenser, then trimmed the plastic surrounding that area as it's thicker than stock.

Trimmed the top shroud bushings, and used a little foam, as it's about 1/4" shorter than stock too. All in all, a lousy fit! Looks like I either need to trim more towards the condensor, or trim my fan frame...which I am not doing.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has installed this same 3-row radiator. Are you satisfied with fit? Seems some just pop it on top of the bushings and bolt it down, but I'm not comfortable with that fit. I'd like it to be cradled in the bushings like the stock one is.

Thanks for any helpful input...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racerseks
This is in regard to a 1996 CE Coupe, LT4/ZF6...

Okay, not to be rude, but I know I am going to get a lot of replies like "Dewitt's", and not much else...but honestly, I can't and won't spend $500 on a replacement radiator right now.

With that out of the way...My radiator was leaking. "Why not upgrade", I thought. I went middle of the road, and got a Champion 3-row. Maybe shoulda gone 2-row, but we're past that point. Trimmed the bushings on bottom towards the condenser, then trimmed the plastic surrounding that area as it's thicker than stock.

Trimmed the top shroud bushings, and used a little foam, as it's about 1/4" shorter than stock too. All in all, a lousy fit! Looks like I either need to trim more towards the condensor, or trim my fan frame...which I am not doing.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has installed this same 3-row radiator. Are you satisfied with fit? Seems some just pop it on top of the bushings and bolt it down, but I'm not comfortable with that fit. I'd like it to be cradled in the bushings like the stock one is.

Thanks for any helpful input...
Not doing too well here, so I guess I'll open it up a bit. How about any 3-row replacement, or the 2-row Champion? I've seen posts about installing aftermarket radiators. Anyone with fitment issues? How did you resolve? I've got a back-up plan, but hoping to get some input before going any further...
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

I can't help with your fitment issue, but I do have a leftover '95 radiator shroud and cover that's already been cobbled up a little bit (under where the air filter housing covers). Not sure where you're located, but I can make you a deal on these pieces if you want to cobble them up further. Also have the stock radiator and condenser, but it doesn't sound like you need those. Let me know.

Regards,
John
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM
Courtney H.
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not doing too well here, so I guess I'll open it up a bit. How about any 3-row replacement, or the 2-row Champion? I've seen posts about installing aftermarket radiators. Anyone with fitment issues? How did you resolve? I've got a back-up plan, but hoping to get some input before going any further...
I installed a Champion 3-row in my '96. It did require more trimming than they lead you to believe. I did hafta trim the fiberglass/smc that the bottom cushions rest in. Also had to trim top cushions, if memory serves me well. But don't think I had to trim top shroud itself. I didn't hafta touch fan shroud, at all. If you are thinking about resale value, you could buy used parts, to cut up, and save originals.
The following users liked this post:
racerseks (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 01:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Count on having to do something, most aftermarket Bolt On parts dont unless you screw with something.
True, some just stuff parts in and they work, if you want it "right" spend a little time on it. They say 2 rows are better than 3 but gotta imagine eithe are better than the stock one is.
You may need a stronger fan to pull the air through a thicker core. Or not-

You may find overall running temps arent much different but when moving or the fan running temps will drop quicker. Put a DeWitts in an A body that was my experience.
Wish they made a reasonable priced one for the 00-up Chevy truck. $900? Ill pass.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:13 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WhiteC1
I can't help with your fitment issue, but I do have a leftover '95 radiator shroud and cover that's already been cobbled up a little bit (under where the air filter housing covers). Not sure where you're located, but I can make you a deal on these pieces if you want to cobble them up further. Also have the stock radiator and condenser, but it doesn't sound like you need those. Let me know.

Regards,
John
Thanks, but I am pretty set with what I have. Just looking for people's experience with fitment.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:16 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Courtney H.
I installed a Champion 3-row in my '96. It did require more trimming than they lead you to believe. I did hafta trim the fiberglass/smc that the bottom cushions rest in. Also had to trim top cushions, if memory serves me well. But don't think I had to trim top shroud itself. I didn't hafta touch fan shroud, at all. If you are thinking about resale value, you could buy used parts, to cut up, and save originals.
Thanks for the input!
Sounds pretty much what I did, but might have to take a bit more out on the bottom fiberglass (?) part where the bushings are. Is that part fiberglass, or plastic?

Yea, you're led to believe you just have to trim the bushings, but it won't fit right with that alone. I started trimming the bottom "tub" a bit, and just not sure if I want to take more off or not. Have any pics? Were you able to get a fit you're satisfied with?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:23 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Count on having to do something, most aftermarket Bolt On parts dont unless you screw with something.
True, some just stuff parts in and they work, if you want it "right" spend a little time on it. They say 2 rows are better than 3 but gotta imagine eithe are better than the stock one is.
You may need a stronger fan to pull the air through a thicker core. Or not-

You may find overall running temps arent much different but when moving or the fan running temps will drop quicker. Put a DeWitts in an A body that was my experience.
Wish they made a reasonable priced one for the 00-up Chevy truck. $900? Ill pass.
The disturbing part is, I know that all too well, and almost always just go with stock replacements. But with these cars running as hot as they do, I thought it might be a good idea. I was so close to just going stock...ugh!

That's what I am thinking, It doesn't really seem like that much of an upgrade...for the hassle it has been. A stock one would drop right in, and I'd have been back on the road in a couple of hours.Seems no matter what brand you go with, there's some cutting and fitment issues to deal with...and the "upgrade" of it "maybe" cooling just a bit faster, is probably not worth the hassle of wondering about the fit...in my opinion.

Thanks for your input!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:37 AM
Courtney H.
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the input!
Sounds pretty much what I did, but might have to take a bit more out on the bottom fiberglass (?) part where the bushings are. Is that part fiberglass, or plastic?

Yea, you're led to believe you just have to trim the bushings, but it won't fit right with that alone. I started trimming the bottom "tub" a bit, and just not sure if I want to take more off or not. Have any pics? Were you able to get a fit you're satisfied with?

Thanks!
I'm not sure what that black material is. Might be considered plastic. But it seems to have a fiberglass-like quality to it. I know the body panels(fenders, etc), are called smc "sheet molded compound". Yes, I got it to fit great, by trimming as much as necessary at the bottom. I was impressed with my work, to be honest, considering it was more involved than anticipated. I recommend the Champion radiator, to anyone. The only reason I was skeptical of it, was because it was so much cheaper than DeWitt's, Be Cool, Griffin... Keep at it, you will be pleased when you are done. Also, the best part of the upgrade is that you have a stronger radiator. The stock units plastic tanks are trouble waiting to happen. That's where mine blew. The stock unit also seems to be the absolute minimum they felt would get the job done. No wiggle room, as far as performance upgrades in my opinion. And if someone didn't maintain their car well, cooling efficiency would degrade rapidly.

Last edited by Courtney H.; 08-07-2018 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Needed additional input.
racerseks (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:54 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure what that black material is. Might be considered plastic. But it seems to have a fiberglass-like quality to it. I know the body panels(fenders, etc), are called smc "sheet molded compound". Yes, I got it to fit great, by trimming as much as necessary at the bottom. I was impressed with my work, to be honest, considering it was more involved than anticipated. I recommend the Champion radiator, to anyone. The only reason I was skeptical of it, was because it was so much cheaper than DeWitt's, Be Cool, Griffin... Keep at it, you will be pleased when you are done. Also, the best part of the upgrade is that you have a stronger radiator. The stock units plastic tanks are trouble waiting to happen. That's where mine blew. The stock unit also seems to be the absolute minimum they felt would get the job done. No wiggle room, as far as performance upgrades in my opinion. And if someone didn't maintain their car well, cooling efficiency would degrade rapidly.
I was gonna ask what "SMC" was, so thanks for addressing that. Yea, it does have some sort of fibers in it it, and it does make you itchy.

It does seem to need to be cut quite a bit down there, with the border for the bushings and all. How did you go about it? I did a lot of measuring etc., but it still seems to need to go forward more., I hate taking that shroud off over and over again to test fit...especially around those AC lines...With 20-30+ year old plastics...that's when stuff breaks.

I hear ya...I don't go cheapest, and I don't go costliest. I always go for best value, and this seemed to be it. They all seem to need to be modded anyway. Have not seen any aftermarket performance replacements that just drop in.

Mine too...leaking on passenger side tank. Would have left it in otherwise.

Okay, thanks again...any info, pics etc., on how you got a satisfying fit appreciated.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:26 AM
Courtney H.
Heel & Toe

I was gonna ask what "SMC" was, so thanks for addressing that. Yea, it does have some sort of fibers in it it, and it does make you itchy.

It does seem to need to be cut quite a bit down there, with the border for the bushings and all. How did you go about it? I did a lot of measuring etc., but it still seems to need to go forward more., I hate taking that shroud off over and over again to test fit...especially around those AC lines...With 20-30+ year old plastics...that's when stuff breaks.

I hear ya...I don't go cheapest, and I don't go costliest. I always go for best value, and this seemed to be it. They all seem to need to be modded anyway. Have not seen any aftermarket performance replacements that just drop in.

Mine too...leaking on passenger side tank. Would have left it in otherwise.

Okay, thanks again...any info, pics etc., on how you got a satisfying fit appreciated.
Sorry, I didn't take any pics. And that was how I did it, many trial fittings. You want the cushions to be protruding just a wee bit above the plastic edge that surrounds it, so it doesn't contact the tanks. If I remember right, there was a minimal amount of the hard plastic edge left, when I was satisfied. Just enough to keep the cushions from moving or wiggling. You want only the rubber cushions touching the radiator. My a/c was evacuated anyway, so I had disconnected the fittings, to gimme more room to work.
racerseks (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:15 AM
ChumpVette
Safety Car

Received 1,275 Likes on 861 Posts

Not sure why you were expecting it to be a direct bolt in. You are fitting a 3 row in a spot where a single row used to sit. You can't move it forward, so it has to be pushed back. Either you use a spacer (Like what Dewitt's supplies) or you cut the fan shroud to accept the protrusion.I looked at the instructions from Ecklers, and not to pick on them because they probably got them from Champion,

NOTE: This Application Requires Notching The Rubber Tabs On Your Saddle Radiator Mounts To Make Them Square. This Is Because The Factory Tanks Are Molded Round And Champion Radiator Tanks Are Fabricated Square. This Modification Can Easily Be Performed By A Qualified Mechanic. Click Photo To See Thumbnail Of Before And After Modification.
I don't know WTF they are thinking saying the factory radiator has round mounts. The top rubber mounts need to be cut to allow the thicker radiator to fit, and the bottom mounts need to be trimmed along with *ALL* the bottom plastic ridges. The rubber mount still has the retention tabs that pull through the shroud, and once everything is tightened down, it's not going anywhere.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:16 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ChumpVette
Not sure why you were expecting it to be a direct bolt in. You are fitting a 3 row in a spot where a single row used to sit. You can't move it forward, so it has to be pushed back. Either you use a spacer (Like what Dewitt's supplies) or you cut the fan shroud to accept the protrusion.I looked at the instructions from Ecklers, and not to pick on them because they probably got them from Champion,

I don't know WTF they are thinking saying the factory radiator has round mounts. The top rubber mounts need to be cut to allow the thicker radiator to fit, and the bottom mounts need to be trimmed along with *ALL* the bottom plastic ridges. The rubber mount still has the retention tabs that pull through the shroud, and once everything is tightened down, it's not going anywhere.

I was never expecting a direct fit, but as your quote points out, it only mentions cutting the bushings...and it's not because they're square. It's because, as you pointed out...the thickness. Never says anything about having to cut into the shroud or tub. Had I known that, I would have just gone with a factory type replacement. $75, and just replace it whenever the tanks leak. First one lasted 22 years...good enough for me at $75. Plus, it's really not that big of a deal to swap once you've done it. All the cutting and measuring is much more work...and I'm just not that convinced there's much to gain, if anything...Certainly not at $500, in my opinion.

There is some space to move it forward a bit. I'm sure that's how it was accomplished without the spacers mentioned.

Yes, I agree on your last fitment declaration...

I got it now, so I'll probably follow through. Wouldn't do it again though. Really hate chopping my car up.

Thank you.

Last edited by racerseks; 08-07-2018 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:30 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Sorry, I didn't take any pics. And that was how I did it, many trial fittings. You want the cushions to be protruding just a wee bit above the plastic edge that surrounds it, so it doesn't contact the tanks. If I remember right, there was a minimal amount of the hard plastic edge left, when I was satisfied. Just enough to keep the cushions from moving or wiggling. You want only the rubber cushions touching the radiator. My a/c was evacuated anyway, so I had disconnected the fittings, to gimme more room to work.
No problem...worth asking I guess, huh? Thanks for the tips. Yea, the AC out of the way would be nice. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2018, 05:42 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

I have the Champion 3 row in my 94, it’s been too many years for me to remember exactly what had to be done to install it but I do remember trimming bushings and possibly some plastic. It does fit and once installed you wouldn’t know that it wasn’t an exact fit. Years on, no issues. I thought the quality of the radiator to be very good with really nice welds.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:44 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The aluminum should be better than that wafter thin thing GM called a radiator, it will be worth it long term.
Mines 16 yrs old cant believe it hasnt split yet just havent seen a fair value on an alum. replacement yet.
Maybe a perfect stocker and good fan is enough but like said, doesnt seem to be any room for errror. 230 or 240 degrees is not "normal" in my book, too thats freaking hot and shortens the life of everythign under the hood!
Old 08-11-2018, 08:15 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jmgtp
I have the Champion 3 row in my 94, it’s been too many years for me to remember exactly what had to be done to install it but I do remember trimming bushings and possibly some plastic. It does fit and once installed you wouldn’t know that it wasn’t an exact fit. Years on, no issues. I thought the quality of the radiator to be very good with really nice welds.
Yea, the quality doesn't seem to be an issue...but it does need more than just the slight bushing trim most advertise it as, huh? Thanks..

Get notified of new replies

To Champion radiator installation and fit...

Old 08-11-2018, 08:20 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Does the Champion have plastic side tanks ?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:22 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
The aluminum should be better than that wafter thin thing GM called a radiator, it will be worth it long term.
Mines 16 yrs old cant believe it hasnt split yet just havent seen a fair value on an alum. replacement yet.
Maybe a perfect stocker and good fan is enough but like said, doesnt seem to be any room for errror. 230 or 240 degrees is not "normal" in my book, too thats freaking hot and shortens the life of everythign under the hood!
Yea, problem is...that wafer thin one is the only one that really drops in. It lines up right with the fan frame, where you don't have to worry about doing any trimming to it...not so with any of the aftermarkets out there. None of them have the border on there that keeps the fan frame a comfortable distance. if you look on you tube, even the $500 ones involve trimming of the frame, which I find unacceptable at that price. If the upgrade in quality is desired, seems a single row might be the way to go., but I say go stock replacement on this. The one on my '86, is 32 years old, and still original. Definitely an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" kinda thing. Is yours running that hot?
Old 08-11-2018, 08:27 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Does the Champion have plastic side tanks ?
No, it's all aluminum...but a pretty crappy fit.

Quick Reply: Champion radiator installation and fit...