C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What affect will replacing resonator with X pipe have?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:06 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 311 Posts
Default What affect will replacing resonator with X pipe have?

I have a '96 LT1 with one stock cat on each forward side, a stock resonator in the middle, and two Magnaflows (one each side) in the rear. What would happen to the sound if I were to replace the resonator with an X pipe, and keep the rest the same? I'm asking since I do have some cabin drone when accelerating. I luv the look of the stainless Magnaflows a lot and really want to keep them. Just wondering if there was a way to change out the resonator to X pipe (or something else) to reduce drone?

Last edited by RetroGuy; 08-05-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Resonators job is to quiet things down, think if you removed it youd get more volume.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:14 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

I had almost that exact setup years ago.

short tubes, stock cats, x pipe, magnaflow resonator, magnaflow mufflers. I removed the resonator and personally hated it. It was way loud and the drone was unbearable.

I now have a Frankenstein’s system with an x-pipe, no resonator and stock mufflers - and that, I love. It sound s great, keeps the volume in check and has no drone. Removing the resonator brought out a lot more V8 burble sounds, I really recommend for stock mufflers. With aftermarket (typically louder) mufflers you risk going over the top on volume and creating a lot of headache inducing drone. But everyone has their preference, I went through many exhaust iterations before finding my current combination that I like.
The following users liked this post:
RetroGuy (08-05-2018)
Old 08-05-2018, 10:15 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

I wonder if my 22 year old stock resonator can be replaced with another type that would be a little quieter...

Last edited by RetroGuy; 08-05-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:17 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

I replaced my stock resonator on my 91 with a Magnaflox X-flow resonator. It is the best of both worlds.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:26 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When replacing the stock resonator did you keep the OEM cats?
Old 08-05-2018, 09:50 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I replaced my stock resonator on my 91 with a Magnaflow X-flow resonator. It is the best of both worlds.
So, how did the sound/drone change after adding the Magnaflow resonator?
Old 08-06-2018, 12:15 AM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also have a 96. I first deleted the mufflers. Sounded great outside but the drone in the cabin would give you a headache. UNTIL, I got rid of the resonator and installed an X-pipe. Same great sound outside but what a.difference in the cabin. You can actually have a normal conversation without yelling.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:02 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
I also have a 96. I first deleted the mufflers. Sounded great outside but the drone in the cabin would give you a headache. UNTIL, I got rid of the resonator and installed an X-pipe. Same great sound outside but what a.difference in the cabin. You can actually have a normal conversation without yelling.
So...You have an X-pipe, no resonator and no mufflers? Please clarify.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RetroGuy
Can you post a photo of your set-up?
Old 08-06-2018, 10:55 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by billschroeder5842
I replaced my stock resonator on my 91 with a Magnaflow X-flow resonator. It is the best of both worlds.
I believe I found the Magnaflow resonator "Bill S" has in his photos posted earlier above. This has the internal x-pipe design, on Magnaflow's site. If it gets rid of the drone with my Magnaflow mufflers, it would be totally worth it. I just have to find out what size pipes I have leading to the stock resonator, then get the Magnaflow X-pipe resonator that has same size or slightly larger inlet/outlets to avoid restriction/constriction of flow. Anyone know the size of stock pipes leading to the resonator on a 1996 LT1?

Last edited by RetroGuy; 08-06-2018 at 11:05 AM.
mrodoc (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 09:03 PM
billschroeder5842
Zen Vet Master Level VII

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,140 Likes on 845 Posts

So, how did the sound/drone change after adding the Magnaflow resonator?
I really cant replace the cats as this car has a LT5 so the cats and manifold are basically the same piece. I have zero drone as the only swap I did was the resonator- everything else is factory. The OEM 91 was SUPER restrictive so this change is a no brainier. I attached a picture of the OEM and the MF resonator..... Nuff said

The exhaust nor is ever so slightly louder but certainly not loud. When you punch it, you get way more engine "spool" sound from an LT5 verses the exhaust.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:13 AM
RetroGuy
Drifting

I have a '96 LT1 with one stock cat on each forward side, a stock resonator in the middle, and two performance Magnaflows (one each side) in the rear. What would happen to the sound if I were to replace the resonator with an X pipe, and keep the rest the same? I'm asking since I do have some cabin drone when accelerating. I luv the look of the stainless Magnaflows a lot and really want to keep them. Just wondering if there was a way to change out the resonator to X pipe (or something else) to reduce drone?
I've decided to experiment: Replace the stock resonator with a Magnaflow #12468 which has an "interval X-pipe." If that doesn't decrease the drone from my Magnaflow "performance straight through" mufflers, I'll replace them with new OEM stock mufflers. I'll post again in the near future my sound results.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:19 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 205 Likes on 164 Posts

Experimenting with exhaust is the approach I took to chase the sound I wanted at the near stock volume I wanted. It took a number of iterations to get there. If you can do your own welding it isn’t too expensive in parts especially since you can sell off what you don’t end up using in your final combo.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

Correct. This is what my car sound like with no mufflers, no resonator and installing an xpipe and it's quiet in the cabin. When the resonator was on, the drone was deafening.

Last edited by Dr_Shakalu; 08-09-2018 at 03:16 PM.
JimLentz (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 04:43 PM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If I understand your original post; your 96 has a completely stock exhaust with the exception of two lovely looking mufflers and you have drone inside the cabin that you would like to reduce. It's fairly well agreed upon that on the LT1 the stock dual exhaust system doesn't produce drone at highway speeds. You're intended solution to reduce the drone is to replace the stock resonator with an aftermarket one from the same company that makes the aftermarket mufflers.

I've got two shiny pennies that says your drone level is going to get worse after this change.

Do you still by any chance still have the stock mufflers that came on the car? (I understand that you didn't buy it new so the mufflers may have been changed out prior to you owning the car) New OEM mufflers are not going to be easy to find.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:46 PM
mrodoc
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr_Shakalu
Correct. This is what my car sound like with no mufflers, no resonator and installing an xpipe and it's quiet in the cabin. When the resonator was on, the drone was deafening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8wtUVL1VvM
I would have thought it would be a lot louder, that sounds really good. I have an LE2 build on a 1994 with LT headers and magnaflow mufflers only, no cats, no resonator. I just don't like the sound. No drone, just funky sound at idle. Does anyone out there have the magnaflow x-pipe with headers, no mufflers, no resonator, no cats? I'm about ready to run straight pipes, maybe this will be less obtrusive to law enforcement.. I love the sound with open headers and the choppy idle (cam is 227/234/ 110 LSA)

Get notified of new replies

To What affect will replacing resonator with X pipe have?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:50 PM
Dr_Shakalu
Racer

This is the x-pipe that I bought. From Amazon of all places. It was recommended to my by another Corvetteforum member.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003M2IKVE/ref=oh_aui_i_sh_in_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-09-2018, 10:35 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr. Peabody
If I understand your original post; your 96 has a completely stock exhaust with the exception of two lovely looking mufflers and you have drone inside the cabin that you would like to reduce. It's fairly well agreed upon that on the LT1 the stock dual exhaust system doesn't produce drone at highway speeds. You're intended solution to reduce the drone is to replace the stock resonator with an aftermarket one from the same company that makes the aftermarket mufflers.

I've got two shiny pennies that says your drone level is going to get worse after this change.

Do you still by any chance still have the stock mufflers that came on the car? (I understand that you didn't buy it new so the mufflers may have been changed out prior to you owning the car) New OEM mufflers are not going to be easy to find.
HA HA...I'm hoping to collect those two shiny pennies. My theory is: If the original stock resonator is just two perforated pipes running straight through muffler packing material without crossing each other (like an X pipe), then I just might get a lower amount of drone with this Magnaflow X pipe style resonator. If not, I'll probably just gain a tiny bit of performance increase. In that case, I already found some "reproductions" of the GM factory mufflers for late model C4s in my area, which I'll install as a last resort.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:41 PM
RetroGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmgtp
Experimenting with exhaust is the approach I took to chase the sound I wanted at the near stock volume I wanted. It took a number of iterations to get there. If you can do your own welding it isn’t too expensive in parts especially since you can sell off what you don’t end up using in your final combo.
Yes exactly...If I have to install a stock style exhaust, I'll be selling my very good condition performance "Straight Through" polished stainless steel Magnaflows with long curved inlet pipes attached. I think I ran out of adjectives in that run-on sentence.

Quick Reply: What affect will replacing resonator with X pipe have?