C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 05:35 PM
rjacobs
Melting Slicks

Received 521 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by PoprocksC4
The back spacing wasn't perfect but I ordered them anyway.
Originally Posted by PoprocksC4
I didn't have enough information before I ordered the wheels. Didn't know what I didn't know. Ya know?
Sorry but I call BS on your second statement since in your OP you admit to the fact that you knew the back spacing wasnt right....but ya ordered them anyway...and here we are.

Im with the "sell em and buy something that fits right" camp....because you will NEVER fix your issue by stiffening the suspension unless you install steel pipes in place of the shocks to keep the suspension from compressing at all. If you ONLY address the rear suspension to attempt to "rectify" your ordering mistake, the car will ride and handle like **** because the rear and the front will be completely differently sprung and valved as well as having less travel in the rear(which is essentially what you are trying to accomplish)...not a good idea IMO.

Get the correct wheel on the car.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:28 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Here's a site that might help you out of this mess: https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wheel1=245-50-16X9.5ET38&wheel2=255-40-18X9.5ET40&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr =0mm

I used this site when I redid my 86. I went from 9.5x16 +38 rims with 255x50x16" tires. I ended up getting 9.5x18 +40 rims with 255x40x18" tires. They fit just like the originals and no interference or rubbing.

Check the site I noted using your original tire and rim information and what you want and it will tell you what will fit and what won't.

PS I agree unless you want to hog out your wheel wells and put on some ungodly flairs, those rims and tires you have are only going to damage your car.

Last edited by hcbph; 08-20-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:53 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

The OP has used 2 very similar 'USER ID' since May it seems. At some point in the past couple days he's seen his errors and will stack these in 'the corner'. I was going to suggest Cray in this thread but I stumbled upon his 'other' thread and realized that I guess he's shopping Cray presently.

Ridiculous - maybe!!!

This is one of his others

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4137415-desperately-seeking-more-info.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4137417-jdc-desperately-seeking-more-info.html

Who will he be next time he forgets his password?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 08-20-2018 at 08:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 PM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The OP has used 2 very similar 'USER ID' since May it seems. At some point in the past couple days he's seen his errors and will stack these in 'the corner'. I was going to suggest Cray in this thread but I stumbled upon his 'other' thread and realized that I guess he's shopping Cray presently.

Ridiculous - maybe!!!

This is one of his others

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4137415-desperately-seeking-more-info.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4137417-jdc-desperately-seeking-more-info.html

Who will he be next time he forgets his password?
EVERYONE on the forum has been so incredibly helpful. YOU being the exception.
I joined Corvette forum recently because I'm quite aware of my ignorance. Thank you so much for pointing that out.
No-one likes a Mr. Know-it-all, but to insult my lack of knowledge (while I'm tying to learn) just to make yourself feel superior is childish.
ALL OVER SOME WHEELS? REALLY?
I came asking for advise but you seem more than happy to troll me with your high and lofty facts about the C4 and cut me down with in-depth detective work. GET A LIFE! I feel sorry for you bro. When you lose your ability to forgive, you lose your ability to have friends.
I know you are a very lonely and bitter person. I forgive you.

Go ahead. Throw your next insult if it gives you something to do while you're sitting on the toilet. More fun than Readers Digest I suppose. I 'll read it and feel sorry for a very sad person. I'm done.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:05 PM
Red 91
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

WVZR-1 has spent more time researching and helping people on this forum than any other member that I am aware of. You on the other hand are someones child that got his daddys vette for free, then bought a set of wheels and tires for it that do not fit. I am not impressed.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:14 PM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Haters gonna hate.
it's not my goal to impress anyone. I just came looking for information from guys that know more than me. Had no clue early C4s were so different from later C4s.
I didn't come here looking for insults from the high and mighty Corvette gods. Forget this. This thread left the advise category long ago.
I loved my dad so I wanna take care of his Vette. That's why I'm here. I'm really a mustang guy. My dad worked at the Super Duty plant in KY. Along with his back and sweat, Ford put food on my plate and a roof over my head.
Nice that you feel the need to defend your buddy from a newbie owner.
I enjoy sharing my 25 yrs experience with homeowners that want to the project done right. But I certainly don't insult them over their lack of knowledge. Just saying he doesn't have to be a jerk about it.

Last edited by PoprocksC4; 08-21-2018 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:01 AM
PoprocksC4
Instructor

Default Problem solved! FYI

MOSTLY . New KYB shocks REALLY helped a lot. I also stacked about a half inch of washers under the long bolts behind the rear wheels ( controls the ride hieght) to raise the drivers side. Tire rub is 99.9% gone.
It was riding low on one side. I figure a bushing kit is in my future this winter.
The wheels look really cool sticking out a little bit with only +30mm offset on a 10 inch rim. However, i will be looking at something with a +45-51 et for my next set. I don't mind changing wheels every other year. Its a whole new look to the car. And you get decent return on wheels that have good tires already mounted.
thanks for the suggestions.

Quick Reply: Suspension issues