C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! :mad

Old 10-23-2002, 04:13 AM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK!

'85 A/T.

There is a small but long 'Y' pipe from the air pump and it splits and extends to both sides of the exhaust system.

Maybe it's called a head pipe or maybe even a 'Y Pipe'. It's not a big pipe, like the main 'Y' pipe of the exhaust that hooks to the mufflers.

This 'Y' pipe was discovered to have a hole in it when my shop is replacing the head gasket. So hopefully that gives a general idea around where this pipe is located. If you guys need me to, I can get a digital camera and take it to the lot and get a close-up.

Here's the SUCK part. Besides the head gasket costing upwards of $2000 to fix (mostly labor), just last week someone broke onto the lot and busted into 7 cars, mine included. They busted out the lock, in the process of prying the lock out of the handle they used the fiberglass surrounding it for leverage, busting the hell out of it, the handle and the paint.

The only things these low lifes took from all 7 vehicles was spare change.

It just breaks my heart to see my baby hurt. Then to add insult to injury: The repair guys, whom I have a great relationship with and have always been very honest with me, say "We have a sign that says we aren't responsible" and says that I am completely responsible for it. They hand it to me entirely. We're talking about $600-700 damage.

I don't think I am. I think I'm going to fight it, but I'm not sure on what technical grounds yet. Doesn't it seems like they should have liability? :confused: When the car is under my care, it's parked in a garage. I trusted it to these guys to take care of and while in their care, it was damaged. If I decide to do something about this, I unfortunately can feel small claims coming. :boxing

Worse yet, when I called my insurance to make a claim, they told me I don't have comprehensive on it. Incredible. I thought for sure I had because I recently had a loan on the car. Banks don't loan money to people that don't have comprehensive insurance. They require it. But this somehow slipped through the cracks. Yuk. Well needless to say, I've since added the comprehensive. :cuss

What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot.

Shayne Spackman

[Modified by sspackman, 2:48 AM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-23-2002, 04:32 AM
Reneiria
Instructor

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (sspackman)

You'd think that at those labor rates the outfit could afford insurance to cover their customers cars while under their control. :mad The "right" thing for them to do is repair the damage for you. I'm sure their costs to do so are less than what you will pay. I don't think you will do well at small claims but I don't think I'd do business with that shop again.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:35 AM
ROME
Racer

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (sspackman)

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug bro. Maintain a good insurance policy is about the only lesson to be learned from this situation. I think I'll double check my comprehensive as well :eek: If passive isn't satisfying enough, you could always blow off some steam by fillabustering the lot owner :D Make him pay for his complacent irresponsibility :jester
Old 10-23-2002, 10:38 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

While they may not be responsible for anything left in the car, they are responsible for any damage to the car while they have it. For $700 it probably it's worth getting a lawyer, so tell them you'll go to small claims court if they don't take care of it. :smash:
Old 10-23-2002, 10:44 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (ROME)

For the damage at the shop, contact your insurance company and let them handle it. That's why you pay insurance.
Old 10-23-2002, 11:05 AM
War Machine
Le Mans Master

Location: Airport Cruise-in 1 Veteran Airport Cruise-in 2 Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Damn! I don't know what else to say but Sorry to hear! I'd definately look into getting an attorney. I'm double checking my policy asap!
Old 10-23-2002, 11:28 AM
Black87c4
Pro

Doesn't matter what they say or what sign they have they are responsible for the damage to your car. Might take small claims court but there's no way I'd pay the deductable or take the insurance hit on that one.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:31 PM
USCZBT
Instructor

'85 A/T.

There is a small but long 'Y' pipe from the air pump and it splits and extends to both sides of the exhaust system.

[Modified by sspackman, 2:48 AM 10/23/2002]
I believe the part you are referring to is the Air Injection check valve pipe, referred to in the catalog as "PIPE, AIR INJ ENG CHK VLV" #14100852; the old fiche I have shows that that part number was dicontinued, but maybe it was superceded with another #. Good luck and sorry to hear about the damage to your car.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:39 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (USCZBT)

It depends on the local laws. I think you will find that, that posting that sign absolves them of responsisbility.
Kinda like parking at the mall. Is the mall liable for door dings?
This would be an easy lawyer Q.
Old 10-23-2002, 01:09 PM
his touch
Instructor

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (ZylaRace)

I think I will post a sign at my house saying I am not responsible for dog bites. Will that relieve me of the responsibility if my dog bites someone?
Posting a sign does not relieve them of responsibility, otherwise they could just leave the keys in the car. A supermarket has signs saying theyare not responsible for damage from carts, but if youfile a claim youwill get paid.

Find out who their insurance company is and file a claim with them on your own. Attach a copy of the police report.

Ron
Old 10-23-2002, 03:45 PM
fullboogie
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (his touch)

Somebody asked for input from a lawyer, so here it goes:

This situation is called a bailor/bailee relationship. Unless there is a local law to the contrary (not likely), the shop, as custodian of this guy's car, IS responsible for any damage to it while it's in their possession. They can post all the signs they want, but it doesn't change their responsibility.

Here's the catch - the shop's insurance policy probably has a provision that absolves them of paying any claims if the damage is caused by a third party, in this case the burglar. So my advice is this: if you've got a "good relationship" with these guys, tell them to chip in on the repairs, or you'll take you business and your money elsewhere. And while you're at it, you'll tell every living soul within a 100 mile radius to do the same thing.

[Modified by fullboogie, 1:47 PM 10/23/2002]
Old 10-23-2002, 04:07 PM
jparr
Drifting

CI 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

SSpackman i have been there done that!! MY 90 beretta gtz was broke into and the shop told me it was not there fault.I looked into every thing i could do and there is basically nothing jus turn it over to your ins and let them fix it. I know what your going thru and it sux big 1's JAY :mad
Old 10-23-2002, 04:28 PM
Ramanstud
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! (jparr)

any word on the lawyer yet? If memory serves, those "acceptance of liabilty" waivers people always sign (or the 'not responsible for' signs) are vulnerable if you can prove negligence on the shop's part. Maybe there wasn't adequate security in a high-crime part of town, etc. A parable is the "if I die" clause for skydivers. Everybody has to sign one, but if you bounce and your kin can prove it was negligence on the business's part (Who packed the chute? I didn't pack it- did you?), then you can still bend them over your proverbial car.

Definitely raise hell with the owner and promise scathing reviews to every medium you can get your hands on: internet forums, Better Business Beuro, car shows... they might change their minds.

:mad:

`luck, man
Old 10-24-2002, 01:30 PM
B84RADR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks a lot for all of the responses. Everyone that wrote is really cool!

I am thinking that I will look a lot closer at what my responsibility is and theirs. Do you guys know what it takes to get into the door to replace the lock on a Vette? I've done it on my Mazda 626 I used to have a long time ago, and it was no big deal, but I think I remember reading that Corvettes are a whole different story when you are getting into the door.

L8R--

Shayne
Old 10-24-2002, 02:46 PM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

I'd be collecting bricks.. :jester ... And working on my long throws.. :D

Get notified of new replies

To Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! :mad

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you identify the name of this part? And criminals SUCK! :mad