C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Reserve Why

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 04:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by fake
I am looking at C4 vettes that are showing reserve on there fuel gauge. Why would you scvange off the bottom of the tank all the crud? When i see cars like that on line i just delete them, it just shows lack of care or no knowlege of how they are affecting mechanical operation of car
Show me your knowledge of gravity. Does it flow upwards or downwards? Fuel does NOT go to the top of the tank for the pump to pickup. Pickup is at the BOTTOM which is where the crud is. Assuming there is any crud.

Why suck the sock or what ever so it loads up with debrie I guess the crap flows on top and when you run on low fuel this does not get sucked in to your fuel filter and than to your injectors or carb.
The sock is always going to be having suction from the pump. There is a filter on all 3 parts. The tank, after the pump and in the fuel injector. Bigger issue will be the varnish build up in the fuel path INSIDE the injector.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:38 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

At this point our cars are so old, I don't know that it matters? My car is 33 years old. It was completely unsurprising to find a small amount of debris in the bottom of the tank when I changed the pump.

I just mopped it out. It's fine.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:24 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Why suck the sock or what ever so it loads up with debrie I guess the crap flows on top and when you run on low fuel this does not get sucked in to your fuel filter and than to your injectors or carb.
Frank, don't forget the rather large, high pressure fuel filter on the chassis before it gets to the fuel rail. If that thing is changed on schedule, getting debris in your injectors should not be much of a concern.

On a side note, I was forced to store my '85 when it was only 6 years old, for a 3-year overseas tour. I had planned for my Dad to start it and run the engine from time-to-time so I left fuel in the tank. Of course he never bothered to start the car and one thing led to another so it ended up stored inside my car trailer for 9 years. When I finally did remove it from storage it needed a new battery and fuel pump, and to rebuild the clutch slave. Changing out the fuel pump was almost the easiest task and while the pump was rusted, the tank was spotless. After removing the old fuel and changing the few items, the car started and performed flawlessly. Over all, it seems like a pretty robust fuel system.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-14-2018 at 07:25 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 08-15-2018, 11:16 AM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
Frank, don't forget the rather large, high pressure fuel filter on the chassis before it gets to the fuel rail. If that thing is changed on schedule, getting debris in your injectors should not be much of a concern.
What exactly is the schedule for fuel filter replacement? I have scoured the owner's manual and found lots of info on the oil filter, air filter and automatic transmission filter, but not a single word about this chassis-mounted fuel filter. I know exactly where it is on the car, and I actually have a new one to be installed in the near future. I just want to know about the service schedule. Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 AM
LT4Runner
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with the car lot owner about this when I picked up my 96. According to him they keep the fuel level low so that if/when the gas goes a bit stale after sitting, all they have to do is add a few gallons of fresh and then the car is good to go.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
What exactly is the schedule for fuel filter replacement? I have scoured the owner's manual and found lots of info on the oil filter, air filter and automatic transmission filter, but not a single word about this chassis-mounted fuel filter. I know exactly where it is on the car, and I actually have a new one to be installed in the near future. I just want to know about the service schedule. Thanks
If I'm driving my car much, I like to change it annually or at 10k miles. Filters aren't expensive and injectors are, so I may be overdoing it.

I found these procedures on another Forum and I think they pretty much cover it...

1. Do this when the engine is stone cold!
2. Remove gas cap to relieve pressure.
3. A "crows foot" socket on the end of a 3/8" drive 12" extension will work wonders.
4. Loosen the small screw holding the filter bracket. Do NOT remove. Just loosen the screw enough, so the filter can rotate inside the bracket.
5. After disconnecting the rear fitting, use a socket on the end of the filter to help remove it.
6. Be prepared for a gasoline shower.
7. Make sure the o-rings on the fuel lines are in place and in good shape before installing new filter. Lube both o-rings to facilitate installation.
8. Tighten everything so no fuel leaks.
9. Remember to tighten your gas cap!
10. Start engine and check for leaks.

I would just add one more thing, and that is before loosening any of the fittings around the filter, release the fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the Shrader valve where you normally would attach a fuel pressure gauge to check line pressure.

Good luck... GUSTO

Last edited by GUSTO14; 08-15-2018 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:27 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by DGXR
Every 30k is typical.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:29 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by confab
At this point our cars are so old, I don't know that it matters? My car is 33 years old. It was completely unsurprising to find a small amount of debris in the bottom of the tank when I changed the pump.

I just mopped it out. It's fine.
This. ^^
Old 08-15-2018, 10:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by GUSTO14
If I'm driving my car much, I like to change it annually or at 10k miles. Filters aren't expensive and injectors are, so I may be overdoing it.

I found these procedures on another Forum and I think they pretty much cover it...

1. Do this when the engine is stone cold!
2. Remove gas cap to relieve pressure.
3. A "crows foot" socket on the end of a 3/8" drive 12" extension will work wonders.
4. Loosen the small screw holding the filter bracket. Do NOT remove. Just loosen the screw enough, so the filter can rotate inside the bracket.
5. After disconnecting the rear fitting, use a socket on the end of the filter to help remove it.
6. Be prepared for a gasoline shower.
7. Make sure the o-rings on the fuel lines are in place and in good shape before installing new filter. Lube both o-rings to facilitate installation.
8. Tighten everything so no fuel leaks.
9. Remember to tighten your gas cap!
10. Start engine and check for leaks.

I would just add one more thing, and that is before loosening any of the fittings around the filter, release the fuel pressure on the fuel rail at the Shrader valve where you normally would attach a fuel pressure gauge to check line pressure.

Good luck... GUSTO
I'd do it in a well ventilated space and no open flame. Let it air before starting anything.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:26 PM
marksp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
LOL is right. This, folks, is "Worryin' about **** that ain't worth worryin' about".
WOW.......There should be an IQ test before posting in the tech section
Old 08-15-2018, 10:32 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Originally Posted by marksp
Who is it that you might think will fail ?
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 PM
marksp
Advanced

The original post.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:00 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Who is it that you might think will fail ?
X2. :
Old 08-16-2018, 07:07 PM
marksp
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
X2. :
Sorry guys I wasnt referring to either of you. I was commenting on the original poster. I thought what Tom said was hilarious. I guess I'm the idiot now

Last edited by marksp; 08-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 08:24 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Sorry guys I wasnt referring to either of you. I was commenting on the original poster. I thought what Tom said was hilarious. I guess I'm the idiot now
Go vote for the c4 as Corvette of the year and all will be forgiven.
Heres a link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-2019-a.html
Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 PM
marksp
Advanced

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Go vote for the c4 as Corvette of the year and all will be forgiven.
Heres a link.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...or-2019-a.html

Quick Reply: Reserve Why