C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2002, 10:01 AM
WAY2FAST
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4?

The previous owner didn't address this issue either, more worried about performance and racing then interior work - but hey! My question is that the door panels are loose and seem to pull out if you try to close the doors. I am assuming that it just missing alot of plastic fasteners, but I don't know for sure. Can someone tell me if this was a common problem with C4s, and where a resource would be to remedy this annoying issue!

Thanks
W2F
Old 10-23-2002, 10:06 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4? (WAY2FAST)

What year? There were three different door panels all attached differently.
Old 10-23-2002, 10:21 AM
Mike_87conv
Intermediate

Default Re: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4? (WAY2FAST)

Howdy,
I have fixed this on my 87 by buying some of the metal "Armrest savers" . They replace the plastic insert where you grab the armrest to close the door. Helped alot!
Also the bottom of the door panel is held on by typical interior screws into plastic bathtub nuts. These nuts can be removed and turned around so the screws will cut into an unused part, or you can get new ones at most auto parts stores.
Also helps to get some new screws like you see in the line of "Help" parts at Parts stores. Some longer ones for the armrest savers helps alot.
If you just pull a door panel off I think you will see clearly what the problem is.
MIKE
Old 10-23-2002, 08:26 PM
jackdaroofer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4? (Mike_87conv)

:cheers: Mike, you have mail

Old 10-23-2002, 08:31 PM
greg84
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4? (Mike_87conv)

hi,if you pull your door panel apart, do yourself a favor and go to any good body and paint store and buy a box of the plastic bathtub nuts ,a box of 50 only cost me 7.00 and change and it made a big differance on the fit of the door panel.good luck,greg84
Old 10-23-2002, 09:10 PM
Wadoka
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04
Cruise-In 1-2-3-4-5 Veteran

Default Re: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4? (greg84)

If it's floppy and loose at the top when you close a door, then you're probably looking at buying a new door panel. The molded plastic retaining rim at the top of the panel just breaks with age, losing chunks of material that used to hold it tight at the top of the door. I know, both of my door panels are flopping.

At about $500 each, they're a long-term project for me. And I'll figure out a really good way to reinforce the new panels, and always close my doors gently.

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4?

Quick Reply: What is the best way to tighten up loose door panels on C4?