C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stumbles, Pops and backfires if she isnt warmed up for 1 min after start

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 PM
zjiejun
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stumbles, Pops and backfires if she isnt warmed up for 1 min after start --- FIXED!

Hey guys, this is a 94 auto coupe with 125k miles.

After starting the car, if i dont let her warm up for a minute, she stumbles on acceleration, even light accel at 1500 or 2000 rpm. she barely moves and i can make about 15mph.

When the car is stationary and i rev her up, the revving is good, but as the rpm revs down it sounds like the engine is backfiring thru the exhaust, and i can hear many pops from under the hood. Does that sound like she's running rich?

But when the MAF is unplugged and i start her up, she runs great without any pops or stumble. I've replaced the MAF with no change at all.

This MAF thing is confusing, because with it unplugged, the car seems a lot more responsive at low rpm, and seems to have a little more power.

No codes, no SES light.

What else happens with i unplug the MAF? does it affect the closed or open loop? im thinking it might not be a MAF problem since a new MAF didnt solve the stumble or pops.

Is it true that most cars are designed to start rich? Is that programmed in the ECM? might mine be overly rich? or are some other sensors making her rich?

FIXED!

it was the MAF!

my bad, the first time i put the new MAF in, i didnt actually test drive the car and i called it bad. thats because i revved the engine in the parking lot and it "burped" many times from the exhaust like she was backfiring. i thought that meant that the stumble would still be there... so i didnt take her out for a drive.

a week later i sprayed electrical cleaner all over the MAF, and voila! no more stumble! woohoo! thanks guys for all your help!

Last edited by zjiejun; 10-30-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:15 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Also don't forget that the MAF wiring and connectors might not be doing their job of moving current to the right place if they're damaged or shaking loose occasionally. Or the MAF logic on the PCM might not be being carried out, god forbid. It would be nice if you could get a live feed through something like auterra of what the MAF is reading when the problem happens.

Last edited by LouisvilleLT4; 10-21-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Rimcrew
Pro

I have the same problem...
Old 10-22-2007, 09:27 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I have the same problem and I am suspecting maybe my MAF is bad.

Do you have someone who can swap their MAF temporarily with you?
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RUKWKR
I have the same problem and I am suspecting maybe my MAF is bad.

Do you have someone who can swap their MAF temporarily with you?
The answer to this question occurs twice in the original post.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:38 AM
tcr75
Racer

same thing here! yesterday mine started missing throughout the rpm range though. Today driving back from work the check engine light came on, was dying on me. 4 blocks from home at a stop light she died and would not start. had her towed home. Last week I scheduled an appointment to drop her off tomorrow on my way to work. It wont happen now! It acted like a bad TPS. Just my luck I cant find one anywhere local!
Old 10-23-2007, 04:42 AM
nocturnalsilence
Advanced

I had two MAF's go out on me. One was while driving back from town. Driving along fine and then seemed to become very sluggish, hesitation was bad and if I let of the gas the Vette would die. Took for ever to start back up, got her back on the road and started acting up again. Finally made it home and changed the MAF. Luckily I had one sitting around.

The other time I went to the bank and the car died in the parking lot and no matter what I did she wouldn't start up. Had a friend bring over a spare MAF and put it in. She stared right up.

How is your Opti... sounds like a timing problem except for the unplugging of the MAF and the Vette runs better.

Not sure but when the MAF is unplugged doesn't the computer go into a speed density setup. Seems I heard someone talking about that before. I might be full of it but wouldn't hurt to check your vacuum hoses and intake. If the computer does go into a speed desity setup then that could acount for the better response if you do have a vacuum leak because the computer would try and compensate for the extra air. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I guess I am thinking out loud here.

Dave
Old 10-23-2007, 05:27 AM
wilsonbh
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Similiar symptoms but turned out to be my Opti

I had the exact same symptoms as described here, but my situation turned out to be the optispark.

I'm come to the conclusion that Corvettes are a collection of "single point failures" throughout the car.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

What does the coolant sensor read when the car runs bad?
Old 10-23-2007, 06:07 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
The answer to this question occurs twice in the original post.
Well I only see it once and he doesn't specify where the other one came from.

So let me rephrase, because heaven forbid we repeat a question here on the forum, can you swap with a known GOOD MAF?

In other words are you sure the new MAF is good? If not you could use one from someone's car who is running right.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:36 PM
tcr75
Racer

Like I said my car was doing this and yesterday finally gave up and would not start. The check engine light came on a few miles before. This morning I loaded her up on the trailer behind the suburban and hauled her the few miles to the dealership. They pulled the codes for free and it was the MAF. I bought the parts right there at a huge discount, changed it and she fired right up!! So home I went to take her off the trailer. I was so happy that I left a celebrational burn out!
Old 10-30-2007, 01:36 AM
zjiejun
6th Gear

Default Fixed!

it was the MAF!

my bad, the first time i put the new MAF in, i didnt actually test drive the car and i called it bad. thats because i revved the engine in the parking lot and it "burped" many times from the exhaust like she was backfiring. i thought that meant that the stumble would still be there... so i didnt take her out for a drive and returned the brand new MAF to the dealer.

a week later i sprayed electrical cleaner all over the old MAF, and voila! no more stumble! woohoo! thanks guys for all your help!

Last edited by zjiejun; 10-30-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:40 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Great!

Now I need to do the same thing.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:47 PM
zjiejun
6th Gear

what air filters do you guys use? K & N? im trying to figure out if the car likes a free-flowing filter like the K&N, or if that would cause lean backfiring.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:21 AM
toptechx6
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Over oiling the K & N filter on MAF cars has been a problem for some, I don't know the exact symptoms but suggest searching the archives, good luck.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:35 PM
DVNCI
Melting Slicks

Yep, actually I think that is what killed mine.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by toptechx6
Over oiling the K & N filter on MAF cars has been a problem for some, I don't know the exact symptoms but suggest searching the archives, good luck.
I was thinking that, too. Although, I had a longtime member on here tell me he had never heard of a single instance where over-oiling lead to problems...I told him it happened to me, and he dismissed it, anyway. Another case of a dirty/oily MAF causing a problem in our cars.

to the OP...have you changed the air filter since the problem occurred? If not, you should.

Last edited by buckmeister2; 08-16-2018 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,932 Posts

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
to the OP...have you changed the air filter since the problem occurred? If not, you should.
Holy Resurrection, Batman. It has been 10 years so he either has solved it or moved on and looking at the correction, solved it seems to be the case.

Get notified of new replies

To Stumbles, Pops and backfires if she isnt warmed up for 1 min after start

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stumbles, Pops and backfires if she isnt warmed up for 1 min after start