C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

C4 Corvette race car, done.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 PM
Tiptoetherat

Recieved 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI View Post
Oh yeah; power wash the engine, then spray the intake w/"Eagle 1 etching mag wheel cleaner" (or any aluminum brightener) and it will make that engine look pretty fantastic.
We have claimer rules...its better if it looks a bit...used.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:51 PM
Tiptoetherat

Originally Posted by 69427 View Post
Looking good, man.

Just curious. What exhaust configuration are you running after removing the cat and mufflers?
The previous owner removed the mufflers so the car just had a cat on it when we got it. I cut out the cat and installed a massive 3 inch wide 2 foot long cherry bomb in its place, by the rules we have to have a muffler, even if it doesn't do all that much. So...Corvette ram horns into the single cherry bomb then up and over the rear suspension and done.

The exhaust just has to exist out past the driver so we COULD dump it right in front of the rear wheels, but...the engine is not that stout...yet...so we will see if we change things after the first few races.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:04 AM
BillDurant
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Recieved 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is the 2x4 OEM ?
Old 08-22-2018, 08:21 PM
Floridasky
CF Senior Member

Recieved 41 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Very nice. Enjoy it!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Tiptoetherat

Originally Posted by BillDurant View Post
is the 2x4 OEM ?

That's become a joke with the team, we plan to paint it tiger stripe like the rest of the car and keep using is as our hood prop. We are junkyard dogs and proud of it!
Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 PM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

Recieved 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I know it's an old thread but I'm pretty sure I saw your taillights a few times in Joliet this weekend. Never got a chance to swing by because I spent most of my free time under a car questioning my life choices.
The following users liked this post:
carguy604 (04-08-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 09:10 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own either a chainsaw or a handgun.
Recieved 189 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dclafleur View Post
I know it's an old thread but I'm pretty sure I saw your taillights a few times in Joliet this weekend. Never got a chance to swing by because I spent most of my free time under a car questioning my life choices.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:30 PM
Tiptoetherat

Yup! that was us. We got the bugs worked out of the car and it ran great this weekend. Our best result ever!

Which car were you working on?
Old 04-09-2019, 10:56 AM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tiptoetherat View Post
Yup! that was us. We got the bugs worked out of the car and it ran great this weekend. Our best result ever!

Which car were you working on?
It looked great out there, I got a chuckle coming out of a corner behind you and watching the tires try to find some traction in the wet straights, made me wish I had some of that glorious small block torque.

The BMW 535i Bavarian Mechanical Wrecks, we lost a rocker arm in test and tune and didn't have a way to change it out in car so we swapped motors. Lost a few hours of racing but had a great time.
The ride

The Carnage

Last edited by dclafleur; 04-09-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:22 PM
Tiptoetherat

Ah yes, me and my crew saw what you guys were up against. I was the dude in the cowboy hat that stopped by that night.

Well done on getting it back on the track!
The following users liked this post:
dclafleur (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 10:30 PM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

Yeah I remember you guys coming by, it was a good time and I'm already trying to figure out how to get to another event. The '84 give you guys any trouble? Are you guys still rocking a 4+3?
Old 04-10-2019, 11:04 AM
RandomTask
CF Senior Member

Recieved 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Good luck keeping that L83 together the entire race!

Some pointers:

Ditch the C4 brakes up front; they are HORRIBLE. Get some C5 adapters . For early model C4’s, they are really easy to produce.

Ditch the hawk brake pads; go carbotech (XP10’s or 12’s depending on what tire you’re running).

Finally, especially if you have a Z51, you need WAY less spring in the back; car will want to kick its *** out everywhere under braking.

Have fun!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:29 AM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

I think they finished 9 out of 52 teams which is pretty dang good from my teams 41st place finish. Reliability and fueling seems to trump most everything else from my relatively inexperienced position.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:26 PM
Tiptoetherat

Yes indeed the car is still rocking the 4+3. Amazingly it does us well and has never given us any issues.

We are also still rocking the L83...and its on 2 races so far with NO issues. The engine was rebuilt sometime before I purchased the car, apparently the guy that did said rebuild knew what he was doing!

The cars brakes were/are some of the best at the first few races we have been to. Maybe its because of the weight (I gutted it to the bone!) but we are getting great performance out of our stock brakes and Hawk pads. Lots of racers are shocked to see nothing special when the wheels come off the car. The pads last more then 2 races at the moment, and we are NOT going easy on them.

We added a spoiler which helped a bunch to keep the tail lights behind the head lights. But I'll have to see about playing around with the rear spring, thanks for the tips.

We did come home in 9th, we would have been 6th but I managed to slide off into the grass during the rain on Sunday.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:36 PM
MatthewMiller
CF Senior Member

Recieved 304 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Tiptoetherat View Post
Yes indeed the car is still rocking the 4+3. Amazingly it does us well and has never given us any issues.
Just curious: on any typical track do you ever really need the +3 OD gears? That is, if the OD unit fails can you still run and not redline on the straight(s)? If an OD unit failure would sideline the car but those OD ratios aren't really used on track, I wonder if there's a way to ditch the OD unit or gut it to eliminate a failure mode. That could also lighten the car some more, too.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:41 PM
Tiptoetherat

Originally Posted by MatthewMiller View Post
Just curious: on any typical track do you ever really need the +3 OD gears? That is, if the OD unit fails can you still run and not redline on the straight(s)? If an OD unit failure would sideline the car but those OD ratios aren't really used on track, I wonder if there's a way to ditch the OD unit or gut it to eliminate a failure mode. That could also lighten the car some more, too.
So far we have raced on Autobahn and Gingerman and NOT needed the OD gears. That being said I THINK we are going to need it when we hit longer tracks like Road America. I put the OD on a switch and took it away from the computer controls. I looked into getting a better transmission for the car, but everything I have seen is super spendy. Since the 4+3 is working great so far, its going to stay. If it blows up...then we will look at our options.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 AM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

If you guys have a way to get it from Oklahoma I'm happy to contribute my old 4+3 as a spare, it needs a new rear seal but it worked fine other than that when I pulled it. I just had a cheap T56 sitting around and a misguided need to tinker. I'm glad to hear the C4 is treating you guys well, I keep hearing reasons why it wouldn't be good but having run a race now, I'm having to talk myself out of finding another one to turn into a race car.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 PM
Tiptoetherat

If you guys have a way to get it from Oklahoma I'm happy to contribute my old 4+3 as a spare, it needs a new rear seal but it worked fine other than that when I pulled it. I just had a cheap T56 sitting around and a misguided need to tinker. I'm glad to hear the C4 is treating you guys well, I keep hearing reasons why it wouldn't be good but having run a race now, I'm having to talk myself out of finding another one to turn into a race car.
Oye, about the only way I can think of would be to crate it up and let the UPS man do it! We are in Wisconsin so thats a bit of a trip.

How hard was it to do the T56 swap??

Like I said before the 4+3 is working great but I think I'm gonna need a taller gear when we go to Road America. I'm not 100% sure we won't have problems if I start to actually use the overdrive at a long track like that. If I can make it live, I'd be happy to keep it. The looks I get from people are worth it.

We lucked into the C4 corvette and so far we love it. With some more range (fuel cell!) we would have been able to take the win this past weekend, the car was fast enough, and has been rock solid reliable thus far.

I'm doing a club race at Road America coming up next month, and we will do BIR later this year.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:34 PM
dclafleur
CF Senior Member

T56 swap wasn't bad, biggest issue is that our early C4 motors have a 2 piece rear main seal which required a pricey flywheel from Spec (I'd have to check I ordered it years ago now). A bracket needs to be fabricated to mount the T56 to the C-beam but isn't outrageous for a modestly experienced welder.

There's a lot of little things that may or may not matter in a race car, I've got a dakota digital speedometer converter to feed my stock speedometer. Since the stock shifter is mounted to the body a hole has to be cut into the tunnel, either a fiberglass patch or a metal patch will replace it, not a big deal but was my first time playing with fiberglass. I don't have a rear-lockout currently on my transmission but you'd want one for the track since I tend to grab fifth slowly to make sure I don't accidently push it to reverse, a lockout wired into the brake light signal would solve that. More economical and easier to source might be a T5, process is pretty similar but you can find take-outs from other vehicles and it was used in cars with a 2 piece RMS from the factory. The 2nd overdrive on the T56 would sit unused on the track, I'll also add in the T56 is one heavy lump I can pick up and shove into place smaller transmissions I don't even like to pick up the T56 to set on a jack without a second set of hands.

I'm not sure if I'll make another race this year but I'll keep an eye out for the car in the news! It's a lot more photogenic than the grey shoebox I was driving!
Old 04-12-2019, 08:58 PM
Tiptoetherat

T56 swap wasn't bad, biggest issue is that our early C4 motors have a 2 piece rear main seal which required a pricey flywheel from Spec (I'd have to check I ordered it years ago now). A bracket needs to be fabricated to mount the T56 to the C-beam but isn't outrageous for a modestly experienced welder.

There's a lot of little things that may or may not matter in a race car, I've got a dakota digital speedometer converter to feed my stock speedometer. Since the stock shifter is mounted to the body a hole has to be cut into the tunnel, either a fiberglass patch or a metal patch will replace it, not a big deal but was my first time playing with fiberglass. I don't have a rear-lockout currently on my transmission but you'd want one for the track since I tend to grab fifth slowly to make sure I don't accidently push it to reverse, a lockout wired into the brake light signal would solve that. More economical and easier to source might be a T5, process is pretty similar but you can find take-outs from other vehicles and it was used in cars with a 2 piece RMS from the factory. The 2nd overdrive on the T56 would sit unused on the track, I'll also add in the T56 is one heavy lump I can pick up and shove into place smaller transmissions I don't even like to pick up the T56 to set on a jack without a second set of hands.

I'm not sure if I'll make another race this year but I'll keep an eye out for the car in the news! It's a lot more photogenic than the grey shoebox I was driving!

Yea I thought about the T5 as well....BUT.. at the moment I think we will stick with the 4+3. Seeing as there is only ONE track that we will need to use the overdrive, MAYBE it will live. I put a big cooler on it and have changed the fluid twice. I have heard that if you stay on top of them they do OK.

The car turned out better looking then I could have imagined. I laid down the black paint, EVERYTHING else was thanks to my team mates. One of them works for a late model stock car team (hence the numbers and the spoiler) and two of us are model car guys, so the details got some extra love when the car was built.

Thanks for the info and hope to see you at another race, if not this year then next.

Tip

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Corvette race car, done.

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: