C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 auto to manual parts list

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 10:36 AM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default 1986 auto to manual parts list

Let me begin by acknowledging that the smart way to do this conversion is to sell my automatic and buy a manual C4. I'm aware this is the way to go but my '86 is too important for sentimental reasons. Unfortunately I also HATE automatics (particularly in sports cars). I need basically, a shopping list of all the parts needed to convert an auto to a manual while keeping the D36 rear. I do not intend on driving the car aggressively. I also need viable transmission options. whether and stock ZF or DN 4+3 or any other aftermarket solutions/conversions. I'd even consider the T5 swap but I've been unable to locate a T5 out of a 3rd gen F-body 305 car. Sadly, there is a 4+3 vette for sale, cheap, a hour away that I could buy for all the parts. My wife has made it quite clear that there is absolutely NO way a 6th car is coming to our house, even if its just temporary to rob parts off of. Thanks for any input.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:39 AM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by L98auto
Let me begin by acknowledging that the smart way to do this conversion is to sell my automatic and buy a manual C4. I'm aware this is the way to go but my '86 is too important for sentimental reasons. Unfortunately I also HATE automatics (particularly in sports cars). I need basically, a shopping list of all the parts needed to convert an auto to a manual while keeping the D36 rear. I do not intend on driving the car aggressively. I also need viable transmission options. whether and stock ZF or DN 4+3 or any other aftermarket solutions/conversions. I'd even consider the T5 swap but I've been unable to locate a T5 out of a 3rd gen F-body 305 car. Sadly, there is a 4+3 vette for sale, cheap, a hour away that I could buy for all the parts. My wife has made it quite clear that there is absolutely NO way a 6th car is coming to our house, even if its just temporary to rob parts off of. Thanks for any input.
Grow a set and tell her if she doesn't want six cars then sell hers just before you buy the parts car.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:25 PM
L98auto
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, hasn't anybody heard of happy wife, happy life?
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 PM
arbee
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by L98auto
Hey, hasn't anybody heard of happy wife, happy life?
I have heard that saying. I think it was first said by a caveman standing in line at the burdizzo store.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:39 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

I have your ZF 6 speed for sale. It’s in great shape and the price is listed in the FS with pics. It came from a 94 car and works great.

Make me an offer!

Old 08-20-2018, 09:41 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

BTW;

Your auto drive shaft will work with the ZF and Dana 36.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:05 PM
Newtomevette
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I’m new to Corvettes, but I’ve been a gear head for over 30 years. Outside of the transmission itself, here’s what comes to mind: a pedal cluster, a different ECU, switches for cruise, brake, neutral safety, flywheel, clutch, starter (maybe), manual trans bell housing, clutch master & slave, shift panel, shifter, etc. A second set of hands and a lift would come in handy as well. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Newtomevette
I’m new to Corvettes, but I’ve been a gear head for over 30 years. Outside of the transmission itself, here’s what comes to mind: a pedal cluster, a different ECU, switches for cruise, brake, neutral safety, flywheel, clutch, starter (maybe), manual trans bell housing, clutch master & slave, shift panel, shifter, etc. A second set of hands and a lift would come in handy as well. Good luck.
If you are easy, probably can get by with regearing the rear end otherwise you'll need a D44. The C-Beam is different between the auto and manual. You're going to have to do some rewiring in all likelihood. That's the ones I can add from what I've read others have done.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:34 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

The 700 R4 driveshaft and c beam will work with the Dana 36 with the ZF swap. You don’t don’t HAVE to do a gear swap in the differential either, although I would recommend it. The ECM will also work from the automatic. You should have a chip programmed for the ZF however. The car will still start and drive w/o the new prom however.

Not new to C4’s here and have done it.

Do do a search on the subject and there are more than one good thread on this.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 auto to manual parts list

Quick Reply: 1986 auto to manual parts list