C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Tuning for TPI

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 01:10 PM
Steves LS6
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Soon as you say "band aid", it doesn't speak well of you in my book. With what you have said, I'm thinking he is relying on the MAF to compensate for his lack of skills. I'd definitely give WBD a look if you want something close to you. Call them first and see if they will work on it. Not even sure if LPE works on them anymore. The guy who tuned my setup is now in North Carolina with Joe Hornick Racing.

Right now you have 30 so if they are newer, I'd try to see if the tuner can make it work before buying 24. Go with what the tuner thinks he can do with what you have.
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call this afternoon and see if it is something they would be interested in working on.
Old 08-22-2018, 01:14 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Steves LS6
Thanks for the info. I will give them a call this afternoon and see if it is something they would be interested in working on.
I read that our system can double fire if enabled so you might be able to get away with smaller injectors. Following that theory, it would be easier for the tuner to get it down to a better idle. Still, calculation says that at 0.45 BSFC, 26 is (whether they have it or not is another issue) ideal or at 0.5 you can use 30 pph. Again, tuner's call.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:03 PM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

I read that our system can double fire if enabled so you might be able to get away with smaller injectors. Following that theory, it would be easier for the tuner to get it down to a better idle. Still, calculation says that at 0.45 BSFC, 26 is (whether they have it or not is another issue) ideal or at 0.5 you can use 30 pph. Again, tuner's call.
TPIs tend to run better with a smaller injector and higher pressures. This is part of the reason later port injection systems have been made to run on higher pressures, the fuel mixes better with the air. Trying to use an extremely short pulse width is difficult to control the fuel flow accurately and as I said above, you have to have air velocity as well. Fuel injection systems have always struggled with big cams because low vacuum means low air velocity in the runners.

Though, you need to communicate with your tuner before making any changes. I am only dangerous when it comes to tuning. I know the basics, but I wouldn't want to try to start from scratch on a tune. So make sure your tuner also feels he will be able to dial it in better with a different set of injectors.
Old 08-22-2018, 03:43 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KyleF
TPIs tend to run better with a smaller injector and higher pressures. This is part of the reason later port injection systems have been made to run on higher pressures, the fuel mixes better with the air. Trying to use an extremely short pulse width is difficult to control the fuel flow accurately and as I said above, you have to have air velocity as well. Fuel injection systems have always struggled with big cams because low vacuum means low air velocity in the runners.

Though, you need to communicate with your tuner before making any changes. I am only dangerous when it comes to tuning. I know the basics, but I wouldn't want to try to start from scratch on a tune. So make sure your tuner also feels he will be able to dial it in better with a different set of injectors.
Not sure what the 87 pressure is but I think mine is a 91 running 43 psi.

I wish that before doing mods, people would find a tuner to advise them instead of getting the tuner to make their setup they cobbled bits and pieces from an internet forum or two work.
The following users liked this post:
KyleF (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 08:03 AM
KyleF
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 173 Posts

Not sure what the 87 pressure is but I think mine is a 91 running 43 psi.

I wish that before doing mods, people would find a tuner to advise them instead of getting the tuner to make their setup they cobbled bits and pieces from an internet forum or two work.
Agreed on that last statement. I also wish people would have a general plan of where they want to go before starting with major components. Sure, do the exhaust, CAI, but once you start on any engine components... have a full plan.

I am 95% certain all MAF TPIs ran a base 43PSI vacuum line off for fuel pressure. However, a lot of them respond very well from bumping this up once mods have started. Unfortunately, GM set them up to run rich. I have seen a lot of custom tunes where they drop the fueling table, but have the owner bump the Fuel Pressure to 45 or so PSI and get increases in power. Obviously, this is not on a stock motor as they wouldn't be getting custom tunes without some modifications.

To the original poster, I know a forum that has a very specific ECM tuning section that caters to these years. I won't post it here as I am not sure the rules allow it, but PM me and I will give you the site.
Old 08-23-2018, 10:19 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

Originally Posted by KyleF
Agreed on that last statement. I also wish people would have a general plan of where they want to go before starting with major components. Sure, do the exhaust, CAI, but once you start on any engine components... have a full plan.

I am 95% certain all MAF TPIs ran a base 43PSI vacuum line off for fuel pressure. However, a lot of them respond very well from bumping this up once mods have started. Unfortunately, GM set them up to run rich. I have seen a lot of custom tunes where they drop the fueling table, but have the owner bump the Fuel Pressure to 45 or so PSI and get increases in power. Obviously, this is not on a stock motor as they wouldn't be getting custom tunes without some modifications.

To the original poster, I know a forum that has a very specific ECM tuning section that caters to these years. I won't post it here as I am not sure the rules allow it, but PM me and I will give you the site.
I understand what you mean when you say "people need a plan" before modding a car. But sometimes people over promise their abilities and things don't turn out the right way. It sucks spending thousands and not having your car run right because someone over promises. Through out this whole process I questioned the cam in this motor and when he was done putting everything together I thought he had used the 22lb injectors that were on the motor that was in the car. He told me after the fact that he used the 30lb injectors that came with the intake I bought and I asked are you sure the tune is going to be correct. I assured me it was going to be fine. I later found out he must have done 20 tunes before he gave me the car back and when I went to pick it up right before he started it he says "the idle isn't right and I am still looking into it." I let him know that the car died in the middle of the Kennedy expressway (on the south side where there are no shoulders to pull off). When he came into town to try and figure out the issue he just raised the idle till it ran fine and then looks me dead in the eye and his last words were "don't worry I got you on this." Now the story is "sorry I can't figure it out find someone else or get a new ecu that will solve your problem".
Old 08-23-2018, 10:38 AM
aklim
Team Owner

But sometimes people over promise their abilities and things don't turn out the right way. It sucks spending thousands and not having your car run right because someone over promises.

find someone else or get a new ecu that will solve your problem".
Who was this moron anyways? Just so we know to steer clear of him in future?

Do that, I would. He is worthless at best and a hinderance at worst
Old 08-23-2018, 11:09 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

Who was this moron anyways? Just so we know to steer clear of him in future?

Do that, I would. He is worthless at best and a hinderance at worst

I don't feel comfortable throwing this guy under the bus because he is a friend of a friend and besides the tune, he did a great job putting everything in. Plus, I will run into him again, and I don't want to deal with the BS, or ruin it for the person that referred me to him. He only works on cars for people that he knows or were referred to him through his network of friends. It's more of a hobby, not a business. So I am sure nobody on this board will ever run into him. I can not recommend him to anyone because he didn't complete the job, he made sure I paid him before he gave me the car back. The lesson I learned is you get what you pay for.....

Last edited by Steves LS6; 08-23-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:11 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I don't feel comfortable throwing this guy under the bus because he is a friend of a friend and besides the tune, he did a great job putting everything in. Plus, I will run into him again, and I don't want to deal with the BS, or ruin it for the person that referred me to him. He only works on cars for people that he knows or were referred to him through his network of friends. It's more of a hobby, not a business. So I am sure nobody on this board will ever run into him. I can not recommend him to anyone because he didn't complete the job, he made sure I paid him before he gave me the car back.
No, He threw HIMSELF under the bus with his work. I guess this is why I prefer to pay more to a credible shop than some fly by night moron.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

No, He threw HIMSELF under the bus with his work. I guess this is why I prefer to pay more to a credible shop than some fly by night moron.
I can't say he is a moron. But what I can say that is a dick move that he pulled on me.
Old 08-23-2018, 11:21 AM
aklim
Team Owner

I can't say he is a moron. But what I can say that is a dick move that he pulled on me.
With the nerve to ask for payment for an incomplete project, throwing YOU under the bus for his incompetence before giving the car.

Joe Hornick Enterprises
155 Bevan Dr.,
Mooresville, NC 28115

Bian Ebert can tune your "Oh, so difficult" car. He did my 91. I'm not sure HiTech wants to do it anymore since Brian left but they are in MN. Have you contacted LPE in Decatur, IN?
Old 08-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Steves LS6
Racer

With the nerve to ask for payment for an incomplete project, throwing YOU under the bus for his incompetence before giving the car.

Joe Hornick Enterprises
155 Bevan Dr.,
Mooresville, NC 28115

Bian Ebert can tune your "Oh, so difficult" car. He did my 91. I'm not sure HiTech wants to do it anymore since Brian left but they are in MN. Have you contacted LPE in Decatur, IN?

I haven't contacted LPE. I will try contacting these places along with WBD and see what happens. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:44 PM
htrdbmr
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I understand what you mean when you say "people need a plan" before modding a car. But sometimes people over promise their abilities and things don't turn out the right way. It sucks spending thousands and not having your car run right because someone over promises. Through out this whole process I questioned the cam in this motor and when he was done putting everything together I thought he had used the 22lb injectors that were on the motor that was in the car. He told me after the fact that he used the 30lb injectors that came with the intake I bought and I asked are you sure the tune is going to be correct. I assured me it was going to be fine. I later found out he must have done 20 tunes before he gave me the car back and when I went to pick it up right before he started it he says "the idle isn't right and I am still looking into it." I let him know that the car died in the middle of the Kennedy expressway (on the south side where there are no shoulders to pull off). When he came into town to try and figure out the issue he just raised the idle till it ran fine and then looks me dead in the eye and his last words were "don't worry I got you on this." Now the story is "sorry I can't figure it out find someone else or get a new ecu that will solve your problem".
He said he used the injectors that came with the intake you bought- this opens up a whole 'nother can of worms. Is one or two of them bad? How would he know what the injector constants are to put in the bin? I looked at the specs for your engine, and the cam doesn't look that aggressive. A stock bin and injectors should not have been too far off the mark.

Quick Reply: Tuning for TPI