C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Stuck Pressure Plate?

Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM
JAbraham03
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck Pressure Plate?

I have a 84 with the 4+3 and I can not get the car to go into gear when running. It does go into gear fine when off. I also just replaced the master and slave and bled out the line and can see the slave pushing the fork under the car. I am thinking that my pressure plate is stuck. How do I pry them apart?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

If you're sure the hydraulics are ok and the fork is pushing the throwout bearing correctly, there is not much you can do except pull the tranny and see what is happening with the pressure plate. Can't fix it from under the car. Can you start it in gear with the clutch pedal depressed (make sure nothing is in front of the car when you do this)?
Old 03-30-2010, 11:24 AM
jhammons01
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

A clutch that is not releasing is most likely still your hydraulics.

If you put the Slave in, most likely it is still air in the lines or within the Slave body.

Keep trying.

Put the fluid into the slave...keep it up right (the hole for the line) and slide it in...then attach the line...then bleed.

A worn clutch will slip....but release when a properly working pedal is depressed.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 AM
redrose
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JAbraham03
I am thinking that my pressure plate is stuck. How do I pry them apart?
has the car been sitting for a few weeks ?...over the years i've bought probly a dozen cars with a clutch that would not release, was just minor 'adhesion' of the clutch disc to the flywheel due to corrosion or ?...jack the rear wheels off the ground, engine NOT running, select high gear, press clutch pedal in, have two friendly apes turn the rear wheels...others (not recommended by me for safety reasons) just put in high gear, press clutch pedal, turn key to start, car jumps forward a few feet before disc breaks free, don't try this at home.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
JAbraham03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redrose
has the car been sitting for a few weeks ?...over the years i've bought probly a dozen cars with a clutch that would not release, was just minor 'adhesion' of the clutch disc to the flywheel due to corrosion or ?...jack the rear wheels off the ground, engine NOT running, select high gear, press clutch pedal in, have two friendly apes turn the rear wheels...others (not recommended by me for safety reasons) just put in high gear, press clutch pedal, turn key to start, car jumps forward a few feet before disc breaks free, don't try this at home.
I have tried to start it in 4th, it lerches forward but does not release. Maybe I still have some air in the lines, but I think the plate is still stuck. Will try pumping more fluid in tonight.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM
vettme
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JAbraham03
I have a 84 with the 4+3 and I can not get the car to go into gear when running. It does go into gear fine when off. I also just replaced the master and slave and bled out the line and can see the slave pushing the fork under the car. I am thinking that my pressure plate is stuck. How do I pry them apart?
Ive had this problem on my '96TA. it was a bad pilot bushing,
Old 03-30-2010, 07:27 PM
JAbraham03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vettme
Ive had this problem on my '96TA. it was a bad pilot bushing,
I tried to drive it up and down the street today. I am unable to get the clutch to unstick. Can anyone direct me what to do next? I have a feeling it is tranny/clutch time. How hard/impossible is this to do without a lift? What would be the average price in FL or a shop to do this. I know labor rates are about 85 an hour but I ment time wise and such. Thanks all.

Get notified of new replies

To Stuck Pressure Plate?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Pressure Plate?