C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Which is the best exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2002, 06:55 AM
KIWI KID
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which is the best exhaust

I recently bought my first corvette-95 LT1. Ive taken it out racing on the track a few times and now I want it to go faster and improve its sound.Ive decided to start with a new exhaust. From what I've read I've pretty much decided that the Power Effects or the Corsa Power Pluse would be the best.

Why I like the P/E is- they are very well made, tuneable, great sound and 55% increase in air flow giving the biggest increase in horsepower and torque ---- are these points all TRUE????
What I don't like is the price and from what I read there is an annoying resonance tone at about 2-2300 rpm ? can anything be done about this?

Why I like the Corsa is - they are well made, quiet when cruising and loud when racing and absolutly no resonance 42%increase in air flow and the price is good --all True??
What I don't like is that it makes the car sound like a motorboat,what can be done about this?

Which exaust will give the best overall boost in racing preformance?

I live all the way over in New Zealand 1200 miles from USA so its hard to verify information I'm given and I can't just go down to the shop and get info - listen to examples - or look at any examples - I have to just fly the goods over here and hope for the best!! To make things worse- $1.00 NZ dollar only buys $0.45 cents US --could be an expensive mistake!!

Also I want to remove all the Cats. we don't need them here in NZ.
Who sells the pipes to go in their place?
Will it effect my performance ie are there sensors on the cats?
What effect will this have on either chioce of exhaust?
ie resonance, tone etc.

Hopefully somebody can give me some good clear facts.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:09 AM
388 SOLid RoLLeR
Pro

Default Re: Which is the best exhaust (KIWI KID)

Id reccomend the B&B exhaust. it looks the best, and sounds the best but you might get ressonance. otherwise id go with the corsa exhaust although 1 member complained of installation problems. If you want to eliminate cats, then i suggest the best route to take is to buy full length headers. The cat back exhaust should bolt on to the headers with adapters or so. My exhaust required a adapter only on both exhaust pipes.

BUT... in my honest opinion. I would reccomend buying full length headers, and leaving the stock exhaust. They stock exhaust arent that restrictive. With headers you will have a quiet ride and loud roar when floored.

Good luck :cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 07:55 AM
GS345
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11

P/E..... :yesnod:

:cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 08:49 AM
KIWI KID
Cruising

Default Re: Which is the best exhaust (388 SOLid RoLLeR)

Headers are an interesting alternative.Why don't more people put just these on?are you telling me that I will get more horses and torque ?Which is the best brand?
Old 10-24-2002, 11:45 AM
92TripleBlack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P/E is great. No resonance if you keep the baffles on quiet. B&B has the most resonance of any you can buy. If you get them from the maker, http://www.powereffects.com they cost under $800, with one forum member recently quoting $730 so new they are less than corsa and flow better. The B&B flows more still but if you haven't gone to a 396 stroker with addtional add ons you won't get any benefit from the extra flow potential. The thing I like about the corsas and B&B more is looks. The P/E has black tips that to me look like plungers but I'm going to have mine Jet-hot coated so they look good. Headers are also a good thing but you should do the exhaust first to get the full benefit of the headers. You could do both at once. TPIS, Hooker, and Exotic Muscle make great headers for LT1 cars. Just make sure you get long tube and not "shorty" as the shorty ones don't give you any performance benefit

Removing the cats will make the car much louder, save weight, and increase flow and performance. With long tubes you should be able to mount them right to the exhaust if you remove the cats. Its usually a PITA to keep the cats with the headers.

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 10:48 AM 10/24/2002]

[Modified by 92TripleBlack, 10:55 AM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 12:08 PM
C4-Wolf
Pro

Headers are an interesting alternative.Why don't more people put just these on?are you telling me that I will get more horses and torque ?Which is the best brand?
Right now you have exhaust manifolds on your car. They are the first set of tubes exitting your engine and they travel into the front Y pipe. This area is generally more of a restriction than the rest of the exhaust. You can replace the exhaust manifolds with headers. Use longtube headers (not shorties) if at all possible because they will give a pretty good gain in power. You will need a new front Y pipe if you do headers, and you will likely be getting rid of your pre-cats. Headers run around $500 and a Y pipe will run about $150 or so.

If you want to change the sound of your exhaust and or free up the rest of the exhaust airflow you should do a cat-back setup. Many companies make these. I would suggest using one with at least a 2 3/4" tubing, and it sounds like you have already seen the prices. As far a sound goes many people here can post sound files and you can decide. I have a Borla setup and the sound is very nice, but I think B&B makes some of the best looking units. Good luck.

[Modified by C4-Wolf, 9:09 AM 10/24/2002]
Old 10-24-2002, 12:18 PM
bhamvett
Safety Car

Default Re: Which is the best exhaust (C4-Wolf)

Tri-flo looks good to me!
bhamvett
Old 10-24-2002, 12:30 PM
383 Stroker
Safety Car

Power Effects.

Now if you're going to do it right, you've got to get headers as well.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:43 PM
Raistlin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Which is the best exhaust (C4-Wolf)

KIWI KID and C4-Wolf,

LT1's do not have a Y pipe, they have dual exhaust from the factory.

Cat back's will not hook directly to headers, but any exhaust shop can connect them together with some pipe.
:cheers:
Old 10-24-2002, 12:50 PM
John Row
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the looks and sound of the P/Es. I doubt they add any real HP by themselves, but you sound like you are going a lot faster. You would likely benefit more with P/Es if you install long tube headers.

Downside of P/Es is the resonance. Even closed, it can get annoying on a trip (but not bad enough to take them off:D ). At WOT and wide open the sound is awesome.

Corsas just about eliminate the resonance and sound pretty good.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

Get notified of new replies

To Which is the best exhaust

Quick Reply: Which is the best exhaust