C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 EGR solenoid replacement mounting situation

Old 08-30-2018, 11:33 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Default 1985 EGR solenoid replacement mounting situation

I just got a new replacement EGR solenoid from Zip Corvette Parts. It stated in the catalog it would fit a 1985-1990 L98. The mounting bracket is different for the one year only 1985 L98. The solenoid itself and the vacuum lines connector looks the same. They will plug in fine. Do you guys think I can just modify the mounting bracket on the new one to mimic the different mounting position my 85?
Old 08-31-2018, 09:23 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I just got a new replacement EGR solenoid from Zip Corvette Parts. It stated in the catalog it would fit a 1985-1990 L98. The mounting bracket is different for the one year only 1985 L98. The solenoid itself and the vacuum lines connector looks the same. They will plug in fine. Do you guys think I can just modify the mounting bracket on the new one to mimic the different mounting position my 85?
Well, being that no one replied yet, I decided to go ahead and get my Dremel tool out and remove the incorrect style mounting plate from the new EGR solenoid. I cut the old mounting plate off of the old original EGR solenoid, cleaned it up, and JB Welded it to the correct position on the new EGR solenoid. It now looks, functions and mounts exactly as the original part did. For all the 1985 Corvette owners following this post, if you need to get a new EGR solenoid, you'll have to reposition the mounting plate also as the 1985 C4 EGR solenoid was a one year only mounting position design. ALL the distributors selling them "claim" they fit the 1985. They do, only you'll have to do as I did to mount it correctly.
The following users liked this post:
Fozzy Bear (02-24-2024)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Well, being that no one replied yet, I decided to go ahead and get my Dremel tool out and remove the incorrect style mounting plate from the new EGR solenoid. I cut the old mounting plate off of the old original EGR solenoid, cleaned it up, and JB Welded it to the correct position on the new EGR solenoid. It now looks, functions and mounts exactly as the original part did. For all the 1985 Corvette owners following this post, if you need to get a new EGR solenoid, you'll have to reposition the mounting plate also as the 1985 C4 EGR solenoid was a one year only mounting position design. ALL the distributors selling them "claim" they fit the 1985. They do, only you'll have to do as I did to mount it correctly.
, and thanks for info....
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 PM
skinnyt
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rockauto order all parts from there.
what you did will not hold for long.
Old 09-01-2018, 07:15 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by skinnyt
no flames, just my 2-cents -- the EGR solenoid for the 85 model year is a one year only part. I doubt even rockauto will have the correct part - no matter what's listed on-line. as far as the OP's mod, it's a maybe, maybe not thing. depends on the level of detail and workmanship the OP put into it.. as far as JB weld itself - all I can say is, if used correctly, that stuff has some serious holding power.

FOURSPEEDVETTE (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 11:58 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skinnyt
You obviously have no idea about this part. No one carries a new original style 1985 "one year only EGR solenoid" with the correct mounting plate. They ALL claim their multi-year part will work, but mention nothing about having to improvise a mounting plate to fit the 1985 one year only version. Look for yourself. All the ones listed from ANY supplier have a large half moon shaped mounting plate and the hard preformed vacuum lines and electrical connection would have to be twisted sideways to try and fit the valve, (not good) and the mounting plate hole is too large. I cut that half moon shaped plate off the new replacement part. I then cut the original mounting plate off the old original part. I cleaned off all the paint to bare metal on both the flat mounting surfaces, about a 1x1 inch flat surface on each part and used JB Weld to attach the old mounting plate to the new part. It is a perfect match. This JB Weld epoxy is good to over 400 degrees and is extremely strong. I've used it on lots of metal repairs and have never been let down. There is never any stress or movement on this part. It only uses one small screw to secure it to the engine. The mount is only to hold it still. Actually you could probably not even use a mounting plate it if you want. But I'm a screwy type purist. I wanted it to look as original.
Fozzy Bear (02-24-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 EGR solenoid replacement mounting situation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 EGR solenoid replacement mounting situation