C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85C4 auto to zf6 swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:58 AM
Bomvette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85C4 auto to zf6 swap

I知 gonna do swap on my 1985. It is automatic and thinking of putting a ZF6 transmission from a 1989 donor car. I知 doing all the work. It there anyone out there that has done this swap before and can give a few advice before I proceed?
Old 09-19-2018, 06:09 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bomvette
I知 gonna do swap on my 1985. It is automatic and thinking of putting a ZF6 transmission from a 1989 donor car. I知 doing all the work. It there anyone out there that has done this swap before and can give a few advice before I proceed?

I have the perfect FW for you on the swap. It's a steel FW (one piece) from Carolina Clutch custom designed for the 2 piece rear main seal cars (84-85) for the ZF tranny. It is in the FS section.
You can use the clutch and FW from the 89 of course but God knows what kind of shape it is in and the dual mass FW's are hard to find and resurface.

You will want the console from the 89-only year with the ZF and digi-dash.
You can use your existing drive shaft for the ZF with your existing Dana 36 or
Use the Dana 44, and drive shaft from the 89; that would be best.

It can be done- a little bit of work and effort, but if you have the donor car already- BIG HELP.

I would assume the 89 is in real bad shape considering you are not interesting in that car and selling the 85?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 PM
Bomvette
Cruising

The 89 has a front end damage and not worth spending time and money to fix it, But the car has low miles on it. Why would i need the digi-dash on the 89 for the swap?
Old 09-20-2018, 11:23 PM
Connerdsny
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it a few months ago on my 85 auto, I love it. If you look through my profile im sure you can find the thread and feel free to pm any questions
Old 09-21-2018, 09:44 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

The 89 has a front end damage and not worth spending time and money to fix it, But the car has low miles on it. Why would i need the digi-dash on the 89 for the swap?
You don稚 need the digi dash swap. I am referring to the console. It is essential to line up the gear shift for the ZF with the digital dash.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

If you have the attitude for it, by all means. But having done this swap twice now, IMHO, unless it’s a race car where execution doesn’t need to be perfect, it’s not worth it the effort; just buy a manual car.

Outside of the transmission, FW, TO bearing, input shaft bearing, and clutch, other thing you need:

1.) Pedal Assy

2.) Hydraulics; master cylinder, slave cylinder, and plumbing.

3.) Trans Tunnel

4.) Wiring

5.) Console Trim

6.) ECU

I don’t remember if the yolks are different from the 700R4 to the ZF unit, but those might need to be changed as well. Driveshaft length is determined by the rear end, not the trans.

You have to cut out a chunk of your trans tunnel and glass the other portion back in. At this point, I drill two holes w/ a 1” hole saw right above where the trans/c-beam bolts are. I then cover it back up with a piece of sheet metal, zip screws, and some RTV. Makes accessing the top of these bolts way easier when needed. While I cut out all the wiring on my units (don’t need reverse lights or even care about reverse lockout, or even a speedo, you’ll need the wiring for the ZF unit.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:59 AM
Connerdsny
Intermediate

Since you have a donor car, you should be able to find everything you need pretty easy. The problem will be finding a flywheel that works. I bought a stock 4+3 flywheel and extended the clutch pivot ball, but my transmission is super noisy now without the dual mass flywheel. While you have it out, zf-doc has a set of shims that he sells to fix the noise the zf makes.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:47 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Like I said in my previous post, I have a custom FW for a 2 piece rear main seal car, like his. It痴 a steel one piece from Carolina Clutch and it痴 new. It also helps with noise from the ZF. It痴 in the FS section and a great buy.
The following users liked this post:
project C4 (09-29-2018)
Old 09-21-2018, 04:33 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

I came very close to buying almost everything I needed to do the swap. But sold the car last Saturday. You have a donor car, so that is a big help. I'm sure with your motivation and the help here, you'll get it done
Old 09-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Bomvette
Cruising

What about the ECM? Do i have to fiddle around with the ECM to make the swap work ? This is the part where i知 gonna need all the help and advice i can get. Thanks
Old 09-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Bomvette
Cruising

Originally Posted by Connerdsny
Since you have a donor car, you should be able to find everything you need pretty easy. The problem will be finding a flywheel that works. I bought a stock 4+3 flywheel and extended the clutch pivot ball, but my transmission is super noisy now without the dual mass flywheel. While you have it out, zf-doc has a set of shims that he sells to fix the noise the zf makes.
why did you use the 4+3 flywheel instead of the ZF flywheel?
Old 09-21-2018, 11:35 PM
Connerdsny
Intermediate

I didnt mess with my ecu, but I think there are minor differences that some people correct. The flywheel from your donor car is going to have a different bolt pattern since its off a 1-piece rear main engine. Its a dual mass flywheel that helps quiet down the noisy zf. There are also custom flywheels available that are dual mass and drilled for a 2-piece rear main but I chose to not buy one because they're $$$. It looks like 856speed is willing to sell you one cheaper, though.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:28 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Connerdsny
I didnt mess with my ecu, but I think there are minor differences that some people correct. The flywheel from your donor car is going to have a different bolt pattern since its off a 1-piece rear main engine. Its a dual mass flywheel that helps quiet down the noisy zf. There are also custom flywheels available that are dual mass and drilled for a 2-piece rear main but I chose to not buy one because they're $$$. It looks like 856speed is willing to sell you one cheaper, though.
My FW cost me $400.00 and will fit the transformation and be lighter than the very heavy dual mass and cut down on the noise. I am selling it much cheaper than that (on the FS SECTION) since I sold the car. The FW is new. The ECM can have a new chip burned through TPIS. Call them, they did it for me.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:22 PM
Bomvette
Cruising

What about the ECM? Do i have to fiddle around with the ECM to make the swap work ? This is the part where i知 gonna need all the help and advice i can get. Thanks
Originally Posted by 856SPEED

Like I said in my previous post, I have a custom FW for a 2 piece rear main seal car, like his. It痴 a steel one piece from Carolina Clutch and it痴 new. It also helps with noise from the ZF. It痴 in the FS section and a great buy.
whats your price on the flywheel?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:01 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

I am selling mine for $100.00 plus shipping. That痴 a bargain for a custom 2 piece rear main FW for a ZF. I have PM you.

The following users liked this post:
project C4 (09-29-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To 85C4 auto to zf6 swap

Quick Reply: 85C4 auto to zf6 swap