C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette cam change

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 12:30 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt the car someway if I left it without a tune after the intake and headers. I wouldn’t want to pay $600 for a tune just to put a cam or heads in and pay for another tune.
Old 09-12-2018, 12:57 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET
I just wanted to make sure it wouldnt hurt the car someway if I left it without a tune after the intake and headers. I wouldn’t want to pay $600 for a tune just to put a cam or heads in and pay for another tune.
Call it a test run.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:01 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Save up do it all at once. Yes an in person tune is the way to go but if theres noone around there are a few mail order places that are decent.
PCM for less isnt bad, Wongs Performance Ive had a couple good experiences with.

If you use an aftermarket base, some used aftermarket runners, a 2teens@050 cam with minimal overlap, headers & exhaust youll have an honest 13 second car that can pass emissions. If you can do even some minor head (bowl/short turn) work it will pick up a tad more. Doesnt cost what a full blown port job would.
You just missed out on a set of nicely rebuilt and ported 113s for 800 in the parts section. That woulda been perfect.

Last edited by cv67; 09-12-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:12 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
If you use an aftermarket base, some used aftermarket runners, a 2teens@050 cam with minimal overlap, headers & exhaust youll have an honest 13 second car that can pass emissions.
He is in Ohio and I think it only needs to pass the greenie weenie test if it is 25 years or newer. He has an 85 which is 33 years old so he can be blowing smoke and they can't make him test it, AFAIK
Old 09-12-2018, 03:22 PM
johno504
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

here is a radical idea : change the car, not the cam. spend the 4-5 K upgrade $ on an lt1 or 4 with 6mt. you'll have a much better driving car than an 85 auto, with or with out mods.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:25 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johno504
here is a radical idea : change the car, not the cam. spend the 4-5 K upgrade $ on an lt1 or 4 with 6mt. you'll have a much better driving car than an 85 auto, with or with out mods.
$5000 to upgrade 10 years might not be easy. Not sure hoe easy to sell what he has to throw in the pot. He may be able to do something if he buys now and sells in spring
Old 09-12-2018, 04:19 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I’m not trading it in, I like my 85 better than later years. I like the older style and I like the car I have now so I wouldn’t sell it. I just like upgrading things when I can is the reason I am trying to figure out what I want to do next, I don’t need more power because I don’t race or anything I just like knowing that it has more power than the stock car of its year. I will probably do the long tube headers first then, and I will save up to get everything I need for the heads, cam, and intake after that. I am getting the car painted over this winter and will probably get long tube headers next year then start saving for the rest. So how much power do you think it would be at after the heads, intake, cam, and long tube headers? I already have an open exhaust and I cut the air lid box. Thanks for helping me figure out my plan on what I want to do next.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:22 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Theres easier ways to gain 50hp than sell his car Id think.
Like early OBD 1 cars less to go wrong.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 PM
aklim
Team Owner

I’m not trading it in, I like my 85 better than later years. I like the older style and I like the car I have now so I wouldn’t sell it. I just like upgrading things when I can is the reason I am trying to figure out what I want to do next, I don’t need more power because I don’t race or anything I just like knowing that it has more power than the stock car of its year. I will probably do the long tube headers first then, and I will save up to get everything I need for the heads, cam, and intake after that. I am getting the car painted over this winter and will probably get long tube headers next year then start saving for the rest. So how much power do you think it would be at after the heads, intake, cam, and long tube headers? I already have an open exhaust and I cut the air lid box. Thanks for helping me figure out my plan on what I want to do next.
Open air lid with the exhaust might make 5 give or take a few on an excellent day. Maybe. It would complement the rest of the system with the matching heads, intake and headers to give you 50 but doubt it's easy to do 100 plus with a stock L98. LPE with the super ram, headers, cam, larger roller rockers and tune used to be 430 advertised. After that you have to worry about the trans and the D36
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Lingenfelter I believe got those #s with some well ported heads too. I found his old book laying around...he used 113s and the old 190 AFRs then put some work to them.
He had some decent combos
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Lingenfelter I believe got those #s with some well ported heads too. I found his old book laying around...he used 113s and the old 190 AFRs then put some work to them.
He had some decent combos
You bet they were dressed out heads. I think I have that book somewhere after the wife got it autographed when we were there
Old 09-13-2018, 07:45 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Ok, well I plan on getting the long tube headers and adding hi flow cats first then I will save up to get the intake, cam, and heads. Once I get them I will have to figure out how to install them and I think I found a place here in ohio called dyno tune motorsports that dyno tunes gm cars and it got good ratings.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:47 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Make sure you check the shop out for doing GM cars this old.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:49 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by aklim
Open air lid with the exhaust might make 5 give or take a few on an excellent day. Maybe. It would complement the rest of the system with the matching heads, intake and headers to give you 50 but doubt it's easy to do 100 plus with a stock L98. LPE with the super ram, headers, cam, larger roller rockers and tune used to be 430 advertised. After that you have to worry about the trans and the D36
who’s LPE? It seems like that car should get just a little more power than what mine would after I get these things on it shouldn’t it because I am getting a new intake, just not the super ram? And that would be a lot more than 50 extra hp.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:50 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by aklim
Make sure you check the shop out for doing GM cars this old.
ok, I will be sure to email them sometime and that way I can ask how much it should be too for what my car will have, it says on the website usually right around $500
Old 09-13-2018, 08:18 AM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

who’s LPE? It seems like that car should get just a little more power than what mine would after I get these things on it shouldn’t it because I am getting a new intake, just not the super ram? And that would be a lot more than 50 extra hp.
Lingenfelter Performance Engineering or LPE
Old 09-13-2018, 01:20 PM
84 4+3
Le Mans Master

Received 1,373 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Can you GET the balancer off and on in an L98 with the engine installed? Seems the centerline of the crank is inline with the wonder bar that's 2" in front of the pulley. Kind of tough to get a puller or installer in there with the wonder bar in the way. Have any of the participants in this thread actually DONE this? (I haven't..). Or as usual, just arm-chair mechanics that haven't noticed the details involved?

JoeC is spot-on. Leave it the F alone if you want to have an 85 you can enjoy and drive. Cam changes in a C4 are a tough job, and should not be attempted by beginners or novices with limited knowledge or tools. The mods you propose is an avenue to a car that never runs well enough, or reliably enough to ever enjoy again.. Don't do it. Get an old Camaro or Chevelle. Those are easy to change a cam in. C4's are not.
Didn't have an issue getting the balancer out on mine...

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette cam change

Old 09-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Can you GET the balancer off and on in an L98 with the engine installed? Seems the centerline of the crank is inline with the wonder bar that's 2" in front of the pulley. Kind of tough to get a puller or installer in there with the wonder bar in the way. Have any of the participants in this thread actually DONE this? (I haven't..). Or as usual, just arm-chair mechanics that haven't noticed the details involved?

JoeC is spot-on. Leave it the F alone if you want to have an 85 you can enjoy and drive. Cam changes in a C4 are a tough job, and should not be attempted by beginners or novices with limited knowledge or tools. The mods you propose is an avenue to a car that never runs well enough, or reliably enough to ever enjoy again.. Don't do it. Get an old Camaro or Chevelle. Those are easy to change a cam in. C4's are not.
IHBD - you can get the balancer off a L98/C4 with the engine installed. don't recall the details, but did it a few years ago when I changed out the timing chain.
The following users liked this post:
IHBD (09-13-2018)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:09 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

I pulled mine apart for a head gasket.. Then, ya know you're looking at the valves and you shake them.. You pour solvent in the ports and it leaks.. And then you're looking at the timing chain, because it's sloppy and before you know it, you have a perfect, rock solid excuse to put vortec heads, rings, bearings and a cam in it! And you can do it all in the car. W@@T!!!

It's not for beginners, though. It's a pretty big job and it's not cheap. If you mess the cam install up you can damage things.

If you think you can handle it, I used a Lunati Voodoo computer grind that seems to work well without a tune.

If you don't think you can handle it, you shouldn't mess with it because you'll be sorry.

Last edited by confab; 09-13-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 05:20 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

PS: I'm torn here because I don't want to discourage anyone from learning about their car, but I don't want to see them have a bad outcome and be unhappy..

However, having said that.. If you DO decide or are required to pull the intake off this thing for any reason whatsoever, one of the very best things you can do before you put it back on it to change the junk fuel injectors out for Bosch III's from John at Fuel Injector Connection. (Google them)

Seriously.. I would not do all that work and put it back together with the stock injectors for any reason. If you pull it apart, replace them.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette cam change