C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 corvette cam change

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 701 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by 85 CRVET
I couldn’t pull the motor, I don’t have the tools or skill to do that. I don’t mean to just find a bunch of different parts and mix up whatever combo I think of, I’m trying to think of the best combo to put on it that isn’t super expensive. I figured with the Edelbrock hi flow base and extrude honed plenum and runners it would be like stock except for flow better for higher rpms and the 185 cc heads would help this too and then whatever cam comp cams helps pick out would be the best to match with them heads and intake is what I am hoping. I’m going to have to see if I can find someone with the pro flo base and see if that fits without many modifications because that seems like it would be a good intake, a mix between the mini and super ram. That gmtuners.com place never got back with me, maybe I will email them again because it looked like they would tune it because they worked on older cars and it would be a dyno tune that way.
speaking of tools, how's your tool set? you are going to need a good supply of metric and fractional - both wrenches and sockets. in addition, you'll need torque wrenches, torx bit sockets, all kinds of 1/4",3/8" and 1/2" drive ratchets and accessories, and a host of other odds and ends. just getting the plenum and runners off is a bit of a challenge requiring a few specialty items. some stuff you can borrow, but don't make a habit it. as I always said, if you have to borrow a tool more than once, you need to go out and buy your own. a decent compressor, and associated air tools can be really helpful. you will also need support equipment - a decent floor jack and jack stands, just to name a few. again, do you have a FSM - a real factory manual, and not a chiltons or haynes manual.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:23 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

I couldn’t pull the motor, I don’t have the tools or skill to do that.

I don’t mean to just find a bunch of different parts and mix up whatever combo I think of, I’m trying to think of the best combo to put on it that isn’t super expensive.

I would think it would be easier to pull the motor than to jiggle it around and risk breaking something. YMMV
Why not solicit the advice of the person doing the tuning first. That should narrow down the list of stuff that you need to consider
Old 09-22-2018, 12:35 AM
85 CRVET
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

No, I don’t have the fsm I’m going to get one sometime. I have a socket set of course and some other tools but I know I need more I am planning on getting a torx bit set and a torque wrench for sure and then see what other tools I need when it comes time to do it. I am starting to think that pro flo intake would be the best now, I have read that it just clears the hood and you will need a 90 mm ls1 throttle body and an adapter to fit the ls1 to l98 throttle body plug in and a small cap hei distributor which I’m not sure where to find yet. I found this thread
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-flo-xt-2.html
and midnight 85 seems to like the intake a lot, I will be sending him a message to see what all he needed to do for it to fit good. I think it would perform well and it looks great under the hood because it looks like it was made to be there. When I figure out who can tune it then I will be asking advice from them to see if they think this combo is good. Thanks again for all of the help you guys have given me.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:37 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

http://www.wongsperformance.com/

your tune
The following users liked this post:
jazfe (03-14-2020)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:47 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I sent an email to wongsperformance to see what they say and I also sent another to gmtuners.com because they never got back with me. I am thinking that pro flo intake will be a really good intake because I messaged two other members who have it and they like it and say there is some things you have to change but not too many things. I am starting to think I will get the headers and intake changed first and wait to get the tune until I get the heads and cam done. I figured if I do the intake without the heads and cam that would give me more time to figure out everything that needs to be done to the intake without worrying about the heads and cam yet. From what them other two members said there isn’t that much, just you need the pro flo fuel rails, an ls1 throttle body with different cables to reach to the passenger side, and a small cap external coil distributor. Then you just need to get the wires to hook up to the harness and the intake looks and send to perform really good. Here’s is a link to the intake https://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7137/10002/-1
Old 09-22-2018, 04:54 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 295 Posts

A subscription to alldatadiy.com is a close second to the FSM.. (Most of it is the FSM)

Frankly, it's better in some ways because you can do things like print out a wiring diagram, drag it all over the car with you, and then throw it away.

Most of the basic tools you can source anywhere.. You're going to want high quality torx bits, swivels and ratchets at a minimum.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:56 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

For curiosity: I thought some guys were cutting up LT1 or Lt4 manifolds and making them work for the L98?

Those any good? Should be cheaper.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by confab
For curiosity: I thought some guys were cutting up LT1 or Lt4 manifolds and making them work for the L98?

Those any good? Should be cheaper.
yeah, some people do that but those intakes wouldn’t be much of an upgrade from what I’ve heard. Plus they are made for higher rpm so you would be losing more low end torque than with the pro flo. I think I have decided that I will be getting the pro flo, it just looks like it fits right in the engine and it performs good. Other intakes just don’t look right, like the lt1 on an l98.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:59 PM
aklim
Team Owner

yeah, some people do that but those intakes wouldn’t be much of an upgrade from what I’ve heard. Plus they are made for higher rpm so you would be losing more low end torque than with the pro flo. I think I have decided that I will be getting the pro flo, it just looks like it fits right in the engine and it performs good. Other intakes just don’t look right, like the lt1 on an l98.
How much low end do you need? If you cannot get traction, you might have too much to use. Sure, it's impressive but unless you have slicks, what would the point be? As far as looking right, well, I spend most of the time with the hood down so not sure how good it is.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:31 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

I like that intake.. If you're dumping heads too, I believe they make a Vortec pattern version of it.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:54 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by aklim
How much low end do you need? If you cannot get traction, you might have too much to use. Sure, it's impressive but unless you have slicks, what would the point be? As far as looking right, well, I spend most of the time with the hood down so not sure how good it is.
sorry for the late response. I don’t mean that intake was made for low end, it is just a mixture of low and high end power some people say it is in between the mini ram and super ram which I think would be perfect. It has plenty of high end because it’s range goes way beyond what an l98 would need, especially an auto, but it also keeps some of that good low end torque too. I know you don’t see under the hood much, but I just know that I am always trying to clean up the engine or paint something to make it look better and if I got the lt1 I would regret it because it doesn’t look right on an l98 engine, there’s just too many gaps around it and it doesn’t fill it in it looks like to me and he Edelbrock pro flow performs better. I have been talking with midnight 85 who put that intake on his and he told me what needs to be done and there isn’t that many hard things to do.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:58 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I like that intake.. If you're dumping heads too, I believe they make a Vortec pattern version of it.
the 7137 Pro Flo fits perfectly onto the engine of an l98, just the distributor and throttle body needs changed. I think I’m getting long tube headers and that intake, then staying without a tune until I save up enough to get heads and a cam then. Then get a tune and take it to a dyno to see how the power has changed
Old 09-24-2018, 11:39 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

You might want to make sure that intake fits under your hood.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:41 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
You might want to make sure that intake fits under your hood.
I know the HSR does NOT but you can make it work with a hood scoop
Old 09-24-2018, 12:10 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Yeah, I was checking the clearance and it does fit. It just clears the hood, so I wouldn’t drop the hood to close it or anything but the throttle body part sits just under the hood, like a 1/2 inch or so away.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:24 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Interesting...that’s good to hear. Not many aftermarket intakes fit under a C4 hood other than SR and miniram. Then you need to figure the throttle linkage to the aftermarket TB.....But these are small things compared to the many other issues you will have for support. You realize to make an 85 run fairly strong by today’s standards, it takes a significant budget along with a lack of support for tuning. I built an 85 that I owned for 17 years so I can tell you. The MAF is a one off deal too. The coupling that goes from that MAF to the throttle body won’t fit either.

I would call Jim at TPIS. They clearly had the parts, know how, and tuning capabilities for an 85 car. Don’t email them, call. Not many other options, I can tell you. And my guess is it will only get worse over time. Something to think about. Especially someone in your position who is learning.

Last edited by 856SPEED; 09-24-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:35 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

Originally Posted by 856SPEED
Interesting...that’s good to hear. Not many aftermarket intakes fit under a C4 hood other than SR and miniram. Then you need to figure the throttle linkage to the aftermarket TB.....But these are small things compared to the many other issues you will have for support. You realize to make an 85 run fairly strong by today’s standards, it takes a significant budget along with a lack of support for tuning. I built an 85 that I owned for 17 years so I can tell you. The MAF is a one off deal too. The coupling that goes from that MAF to the throttle body won’t fit either.

I would call Jim at TPIS. They clearly had the parts, know how, and tuning capabilities for an 85 car. Don’t email them, call. Not many other options, I can tell you. And my guess is it will only get worse over time. Something to think about. Especially someone in your position who is learning.
I think that place someone mentioned earlier called gmtuners.com will be able to tune it with a dyno instead of one of those chip tunes. They said to call Greer performance when I am ready to bring it in and they use their dyno while someone from the gmtuners place tunes it. I found someone who already installed the Pro Flo on their l98 so they have told me that they will help with anything I need and told me what needs to be done to make it fit. I know it’s expesnive but I’m not trying to make it super powerful or nothing I just want the exhaust, intake, heads, and cam. That’s all I could know how to do. I am hoping that once everything is on and they dyno tune it then it will be over 300 rwhp, but whatever it gets after those mods would be what it stays at because I wouldn’t be changing anything else. The intake needs longer tb cables to reach the passenger side, a small cap distributor, the Pro Flo fuel rails, and some of the hoses and connections and that intake coupler.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 corvette cam change

Old 09-25-2018, 12:38 PM
confab
Melting Slicks

PS: There's one hell of a deal on a miniram and headers in the used section right now..
Old 09-25-2018, 01:55 PM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

PS: There's one hell of a deal on a miniram and headers in the used section right now..
uhh yea!!! BIG TIME!

You REALLY need to look at that! That’s a smokin deal!!! That will sell quickly!!

fuel rails, injectors, headers, and torque converter!!!!!???? Jesus!

Trust me, the miniram is a great intake from off idle to high RPM...people that get on here and say it doesn’t work until 7,000 RPM are full of ****. I ran that intake for years and had great off idle torque..flat torque curve is what you want. It delivers!

Last edited by 856SPEED; 09-25-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 PM
85 CRVET
Pro

I sent them a message to see if anything is damaged and told them I may be interested in buying it if it’s still available. That gmtuners place said they could tune my 85’s ram buy the way. They share the Greer performance dyno and someone from gmtuners tunes it. He said it would be around $200 an hour and would probably take 3-4 hours.

Quick Reply: 1985 corvette cam change