C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP!!! 1992 LT1 Lurches, backfire through exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 02:57 PM
Brendahlz
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! 1992 LT1 Lurches, backfire through exhaust

So I purchased a 1992 Corvette LT1 Base coupe last year with 57,000 miles on it. Since I purchased the vehicle I have replaced 2 injectors, all new spark plugs and wires, new water pump. After the water pump was installed (around 61,000 miles) I started to experience a few different things. The car started to backfire through the exhaust it sounds like and the car wants to jump forward while in drive. There is a rough idle when in drive as well. The vehicle will backfire when it gets into about 3rd gear. once up to to speed it doesn't seem to do it. Took the vehicle to a repair facility and they told me that they believe it is because the Opti needed to be replaced. After replacing the Opti, they informed me that it didn't fix the issue. Car is still at the shop right now but don't really feel comfortable with them at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:57 AM
C4hillbilly
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be low fuel psi, have the shop check the fuel pressure.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:48 AM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Brendahlz
So I purchased a 1992 Corvette LT1 Base coupe last year with 57,000 miles on it. Since I purchased the vehicle I have replaced 2 injectors, all new spark plugs and wires, new water pump. After the water pump was installed (around 61,000 miles) I started to experience a few different things. The car started to backfire through the exhaust it sounds like and the car wants to jump forward while in drive. There is a rough idle when in drive as well. The vehicle will backfire when it gets into about 3rd gear. once up to to speed it doesn't seem to do it. Took the vehicle to a repair facility and they told me that they believe it is because the Opti needed to be replaced. After replacing the Opti, they informed me that it didn't fix the issue. Car is still at the shop right now but don't really feel comfortable with them at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall.

Engine running rough, backfire always start with fuel then spark (ignition), standard procedure. 1st test fuel pressure, at idle then WOT (tape the gauge to the windshield). Why not all the injectors replaced? Only 2?
Old 09-13-2018, 12:33 PM
s carter
Melting Slicks

Received 438 Likes on 398 Posts

Back Firing is usually caused with a Problem in Ignition/Timing, Since the Opti has been Changed with no improvement has anything been done with Ignition Control Module or coil? I would even take a look at the TPS & O-2 values, and Knock Sensor for any Activity, While I had on a scan Tool. Which they Should Have.

Last edited by s carter; 09-13-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:19 PM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

In order of easiest/cheapest:

-Check spark; take boot off plug, take spare plug and hold against engine. Should be CONSISTENT bright spark. Failing opti will still fire, but spark will look weak and intermittent.

-Check fuel pressure. Should be around 45psi. (Will need a fuel pressure gauge, can rent for free from auto store)

-Check injectors via noid light. Look for consistent firing.

-While I severely doubt it would be the cause, do a compression check on the motor just for the hell of it.

As an aside, I’ve installed brand new opti’s that were bad right out of their packaging.

In fact, last motor build (LT4), the brand new Opti was bad and did the above things. Still getting spark and all, but just intermittent and weak. The motor actually was backfiring so badly, the motor ran in reverse for a solid 5 seconds (not exaggerating). The replacement opti died (at the track) about 13 hours later. Replaced with ANOTHER brand new unit that was AGAIN bad out of the box. Replaced w/ a 3rd used unit.

Quality control on (most) opti’s is garbage and they’re super sensitive to manufacturing defects.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP!!! 1992 LT1 Lurches, backfire through exhaust

Quick Reply: HELP!!! 1992 LT1 Lurches, backfire through exhaust