C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1994 will crank and sometimes start

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 12:03 PM
sunrise7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1994 will crank and sometimes start

I have this issue where the car will sometimes start but other times will crank and not run. No diag codes. Can the VATS allow the car to crank but not start or will it not even allow the car to crank ? The engine has about 100Kmiles on it and the ICM has been replaced. I want to rule out VATS before I start doing tests on the Opti and coil. Thanks!!!
Old 09-15-2018, 01:24 AM
victorialimo
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like opti spark .. i had the same problem with my 96 camaro..
Old 09-19-2018, 12:47 PM
sunrise7
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1994 Corvette LT1 sometimes starts ......

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
Does the tach indicate RPM while cranking? If = NO, there aren't any ignition reference pulses.
More details on the issue with this LT1.
When cranking to start it, tach will sometimes show about 500rpm, other times nothing or needle moves negative.
It will sometimes start and run fine for about 10 minutes then start to develop a rough idle, misfire intermittantly and then stall.
Right after that sequence it will not restart. You have to let it sit for hours.
Previous owner installed a new ICM but I am wondering if he put thermal grease where it needs to be, and if not, that maybe the ICM
gets too hot after 10 minutes. Anyone know how to test the ICM while car is running ???
Reason I am not ready to suspect the Optispark just yet is that the engine will run nicely for about 10 minutes or so, until it heats up...
Other factors.... the car has a bad battery that will not hold a charge very long .... I don't think that can cause the running issue....
Coil has not been changed, it there a way to test that ?
Any suggestions ??
Thanks....
Old 09-20-2018, 11:03 AM
RandomTask
Race Director

Received 276 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by sunrise7
More details on the issue with this LT1.
When cranking to start it, tach will sometimes show about 500rpm, other times nothing or needle moves negative.
It will sometimes start and run fine for about 10 minutes then start to develop a rough idle, misfire intermittantly and then stall.
Right after that sequence it will not restart. You have to let it sit for hours.
Previous owner installed a new ICM but I am wondering if he put thermal grease where it needs to be, and if not, that maybe the ICM
gets too hot after 10 minutes. Anyone know how to test the ICM while car is running ???
Reason I am not ready to suspect the Optispark just yet is that the engine will run nicely for about 10 minutes or so, until it heats up...
Other factors.... the car has a bad battery that will not hold a charge very long .... I don't think that can cause the running issue....
Coil has not been changed, it there a way to test that ?
Any suggestions ??
Thanks....
Opti will fail just like that; had one fail in that exact same manner. Would make 3 laps around VIR, then start missing, then completely sputter and would not start.

Old 09-23-2018, 10:41 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Having read all the info above, this would be the time to check for codes to see if there are any for the opti.

Codes are not the final word for anything and in this case if you lose the low or high resolution pulse it will set a code. But if both pulses are lost no code is set. Codes and selftest is not a perfect world.

Get notified of new replies

To 1994 will crank and sometimes start

Quick Reply: 1994 will crank and sometimes start