C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Need more power

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 12:07 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleF
Because not everyone wants to be the same. Not everyone wants to deal with the headaches of getting all the accessories working. I have seen a lot of LS swap threads get out of control and be $10-$12k into it... to do it right. If you just want a motor in there that runs it can be done cheaper. Also, an L98 looks better IMO. It is one of the coolest looking intake EVER!

Additionally, anywhere you go there will be someone who is faster. Personally, I love the pursuit, having projects, learning, and the therapy of spending time in my garage. I do not have a lift, an engine hoist, or the room to just be "swapping" motors. I like that my car (specifically my C4) looks stock, very stock.... but it has secrets. So does my L98 IROC.

I can't even remember the last time I raced someone on the street. At near 40 years old, I have pretty much learned better. I am certainly not interested in financing all the broken parts from drag racing on the weekends. With two kids and a house, I wouldn't have time if I wanted to. Not everyone is trying to build a race car. Some like what they wanted as a kid, some just want something fun to drive and tinker on, and some like sleepers. Lot's of reasons not to engine swap in general. If you can afford an LS Swap done right, you can afford a C5 or LS F-Body. That seems to be a better route to go IMO so when you have issues, you have shop manuals and people that can help you get them corrected. When you have swapped and LS, there starts to be so many questions about how it was done, what did you use, what functions did you bypass, who did the tune... etc.

I like LS cars, but I will never swap one into something else at this point. The cars they cam in are just too affordable now and the new LT crate motors are out pacing the LS's.
Fully agree with you I looked into it before but I'm extremely finicky about getting everything working and even today, the DIC annoys me because the info isn't accurate so I would probably spend a bunch to get the LS working the way I want. Probably in the 15k range since nobody wants to make me a quote even and I'm not comfortable with a black hole project. For that money, I'd rather upgrade to an LS based car when my L98 motor breaks and I send it to be scrapped.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He hasnt made any specific suggestions, just pointed me in the right direction. The research is up to me. I am confused about the cam sizing so am looking for help there. Also headers, as I want to make a purchase that wont lead to huge install headaches but also give me best bang for buck ( around $850 if poss.) . Now I came across heads discussions and a new rabbit hole has opened up for me...so much to learn lol. I do know I have a late year production 86 so not sure if that car has the "113" heads or not. How can I find out?

Finally, what am I looking at as far as the "tuning" goes. Like I said. this is my first project car so I am beginning my journey so if some of these questions seem silly, I apologize but I am leaning into the experts here to help me along the way.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:32 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

86 has the 128 Im pretty sure. They can be improved if you arent looking for an internet hero # and expectations are realistic.
TPI is the wrong motor to go chasing hp #s. Optimize what the car is, a tallish gear that makes good low/midrange torque. Start changing stuff as if it was an older carb'd setup youll be changing everything from radiator to the differential. $$$
A small cam, port the stock heads/intake, a decent exh system, tune & stop there. If that isnt enough get an LSx car.
THey are NOT cheap to mod like everyone says. Price an intake, set of heads youll see why doing an LS swap makes no sense $ if you want a reliable 350-400hp.
Lsx engines arent magic, just better to start with thats all. The only way an LS swap will be cheap is if you can do it all yourself, be ok with a high mi junkyard motor.
Dont be fooled, many swaps cost a LOT more than some let on or they are fd up hack jobs.

Gm sells some nice LSx pkgs say an LS3 setup. For the money not bad but making everything work, fit etc is where it gets expensive. So if youre gonna spend over 10k hell just get a nice C5 instead

Last edited by cv67; 10-20-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:03 AM
aklim
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brianfiske
He hasnt made any specific suggestions, just pointed me in the right direction. The research is up to me. I am confused about the cam sizing so am looking for help there. Also headers, as I want to make a purchase that wont lead to huge install headaches but also give me best bang for buck ( around $850 if poss.) . Now I came across heads discussions and a new rabbit hole has opened up for me...so much to learn lol. I do know I have a late year production 86 so not sure if that car has the "113" heads or not. How can I find out?

Finally, what am I looking at as far as the "tuning" goes. Like I said. this is my first project car so I am beginning my journey so if some of these questions seem silly, I apologize but I am leaning into the experts here to help me along the way.
What exactly does he do? If he isn't doing the tuning, I suggest you find someone that does. I'd be looking for someone to rewrite the program based off what the dyno says. If he can't do that, you are hobbled with having to come close to stock or have someone "guess a tune" and hope it is as close as possible.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:44 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Also headers, as I want to make a purchase that wont lead to huge install headaches but also give me best bang for buck ( around $850 if poss.) .
For headers, on my car, the TPIS ones fit well but it is also easy to work around. I toss plugs at it every year so I can check what it is doing compression wise. Easy to get to and don't have to go under the car, take the starter out, etc, etc. #6 and #8 are really easy. My plug wires run along the valve cover since they are centerbolt and drop down to the plug area at the right spot. One guy has said that his headers didn't install without a lot of work but many have had it go in easily.

Y-Pipe $186
Y-Pipe that is NLA
Headers $895
Headers with AIR

I'd find the guy who tunes and tell him you are going with this set of headers, that set of goals and what intakes and cam he recommends so he can tune it and has had success with it.
The following users liked this post:
brianfiske (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 08:10 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

My guy will be helping me with the tune. I bought the car from him. He has been a mechanic out of his garage for over 25 years, has a lift, full tool set, scanner etc. Ive also been friends with him for over 30 years so I am fortunate to trust who I am working with and where the car came from. Can you tell me about the tuning process. Is this a matter of setting the timing and air/fuel ? I know we will be reprogramming the computer after the emissions parts are removed so that will all be done regardless. Is this a car where it would be worth it to add/change the performance chip in it. Again, may be silly questions, but thank you for the wisdom. It does help point me in the right direction.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:16 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Btw, my goals for this car are to be able to have a drivable 300-320 hp car that sounds great and drives great. I am planning on taking it to the 1/4 mile after this is all done to see what it does there in addition to the track up hear has a 2 day race course class that you can bring your own car too and the instructors will teach you how to drive your car to its limits and potential.

My wife doesnt like to ride in the car as the rails are so high its hard for her to get in and out of with her back and hip issues so I will be looking at getting a C5 auto for her. She doesnt want any mods, she just wants to drive...I on the other hand want to play lol
Old 10-21-2018, 08:33 AM
aklim
Team Owner

My guy will be helping me with the tune. I bought the car from him. He has been a mechanic out of his garage for over 25 years, has a lift, full tool set, scanner etc. Ive also been friends with him for over 30 years so I am fortunate to trust who I am working with and where the car came from. Can you tell me about the tuning process. Is this a matter of setting the timing and air/fuel ? I know we will be reprogramming the computer after the emissions parts are removed so that will all be done regardless. Is this a car where it would be worth it to add/change the performance chip in it. Again, may be silly questions, but thank you for the wisdom. It does help point me in the right direction.
Yes it is about the fuel and spark but they will strap down the car, try different adjustments to get it at the best part before you are done. It gets the best performance from what the combination can run. If he does not have a dyno, he isn't doing that. So like in my case, we got to 420 at the wheels and tried another setting which pulled it back to 415 so back to the last best settings. That is getting a performance chip NOT that Hyper junk that promises all power for a couple hundred bucks.

If you are OK with the mods being close to stock you can let the tuning go. But you don't get much either or it will freak out the ECM program when it is out of the adjustment window
Old 10-21-2018, 08:37 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Originally Posted by project C4
Full length headers with a true dual exhaust. 2.5" or 3 pipe depending on intended future goals for power, 2.5" is good for most anything
I looked at your album on your 86,very very nice build. I have a couple questions for you.

Where did you get the wheels from? what intake did you use so that you wouldnt need to cut a hole in the hood? just wondering and admiring your work.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:47 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

He said that we would be getting it dyno tested and a knows the place where we would get it done as he has brought his cars there so he may be a hands on during the test.
Just so I understand, would I purchase a performance chip to mate with the new parts or re program the current ecm to accept and adapt to the new upgrades?
If I am purchasing new, do you have a suggestion?

I should have mentioned that the car has the 4+3 and cat back exhaust work already done . Should I eliminate the cats all together or purchase performance cats. Living in Minnesota I dont have emissions worries here
Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 AM
project C4
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I looked at your album on your 86,very very nice build. I have a couple questions for you.

Where did you get the wheels from? what intake did you use so that you wouldnt need to cut a hole in the hood? just wondering and admiring your work.
Absolutely, Thank you Brian! I got the wheels and tires from the Tire Rack. I bought from them because they had the Goodyears in stock also. Jeg’s and Summit have the wheels also. They are American racing torque thrust “m” 10.5x17,44mm offset.The intake manifold is an Edelbrock performer EPS but more important is the air cleaner base.It is the absolute lowest available, L88 corvette drop base.
brianfiske (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 AM
project C4
Pro

Brian, I will add. Your goal of 300-320hp can easily be obtained with a regular 2101 performer intake which is a little lower. With that intake a regular drop base air cleaner will work.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:10 AM
aklim
Team Owner

He said that we would be getting it dyno tested and a knows the place where we would get it done as he has brought his cars there so he may be a hands on during the test.
Just so I understand, would I purchase a performance chip to mate with the new parts or re program the current ecm to accept and adapt to the new upgrades?
If I am purchasing new, do you have a suggestion?

I should have mentioned that the car has the 4+3 and cat back exhaust work already done . Should I eliminate the cats all together or purchase performance cats. Living in Minnesota I dont have emissions worries here
Reprogram the old chip.

You can run without cats but it makes it more noisy.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:21 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

my current plan is to port match and polish the intake and heads. I believe I have the aluminum "113" heads as this is a late model 86 which has the forge cast pistons and 4+3 manual trans.

would you recommend scrapping idea and going with a new intake and heads. This would seem to push my budget a bit as I am already getting long tube headers and going full dual exhaust.

I found another thread on cam upgrades. some discussions out there.... Again, I am a relative novice here so some of the information is over my head. Some recommend zz4 and some zz9 tpis cams. Also 1.6 full roller rockers. These are terms out of my knowledge spectrum so I am trying to gobble up as much info as I can. Any help in finding out where to purchase or research or any other help would be much appreciated.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:24 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

THANK YOU,

My current exhaust is about as loud as I like, although would the performance benefits out way the increase of exhaust volume in your opinion?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:55 PM
Space387
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a part number on the heads that ends in 128 or 113. If I remember correctly the 113 heads are late in the L98 life span. There should be an aluminum casting between the 86 iron heads and the 90-91 113 heads.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:11 PM
brianfiske
Advanced

would I also be able to find out through the vin?

Get notified of new replies

To Need more power

Old 10-25-2018, 07:00 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

thinking about this.... does this mate up with the current engine system, basically what Im asking is it an almost bolt on or will it involve a lot of mods?
Old 10-25-2018, 07:01 AM
brianfiske
Advanced

Originally Posted by project C4
Brian, I will add. Your goal of 300-320hp can easily be obtained with a regular 2101 performer intake which is a little lower. With that intake a regular drop base air cleaner will work.

thinking about this.... does this mate up with the current engine system, basically what Im asking is it an almost bolt on or will it involve a lot of mods?
Old 10-27-2018, 05:31 AM
project C4
Pro

This would be a swap from tpi fuel injection to carburetor so yes, it does involve a lot of modifications. In my profile you have seen a lot of what needs to be done. If you decide to go this route and have any specific questions I will be glad to help.
brianfiske (10-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Need more power