C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Open and close headlight in a c4 vette

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:07 PM
Corvyman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open and close headlight in a c4 vette

Hi i change the gears of the motors of the headlights in my C4 but when i put it back in the car and turn the light on only opens but when i turn it of still open
I dont know what can it be the problem.
Some sugestions?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Corvyman
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ihatebarkingdogs
What year?
Be sure the headlight switch (84-89) pushes fully in to OFF. Sometimes the **** hits the dash before the switch is completely in and off.
Its a 91 the switch seems to works fine its possible that the headlights actuator is not working?
Old 09-15-2018, 10:25 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

The headlight controller reverses the polarity to shut the door. You can run wires from the side that works to the one that doesn't. If the problem is fixed it's the controller. If not, it's still the motor.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:46 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

With your hood open, can you close the headlight door by rotating the manual control **** on the top of the headlight door motor?

Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 AM
wardie
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvyman
Hi i change the gears of the motors of the headlights in my C4 but when i put it back in the car and turn the light on only opens but when i turn it of still open
I dont know what can it be the problem.
Some sugestions?
It's probably the headlight actuator. I have a spare $25 if you need it PM me. Wardie
Old 09-18-2018, 02:15 PM
Corvyman
4th Gear

Check the white wire at the controller for 12 volts with the headlight switch OFF. If = no voltage present this is why the doors don't close. Check the headlight switch itself. You could also apply 12 volts to the whit wire and see if the doors then close. If = yes, the controller and motor circuitry is Ok.
Thanks for your help now i know that the problem is the controller and im going to buy a new one Thanks a lot
Old 09-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Corvyman
4th Gear

Check the white wire at the controller for 12 volts with the headlight switch OFF. If = no voltage present this is why the doors don't close. Check the headlight switch itself. You could also apply 12 volts to the whit wire and see if the doors then close. If = yes, the controller and motor circuitry is Ok.
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
With your hood open, can you close the headlight door by rotating the manual control **** on the top of the headlight door motor?

Thanks for your help the problem is the controller
Old 10-17-2018, 12:10 AM
JPSalty
5th Gear

What exactly is it that you're calling the headlight "controller".
I have an '85 that I have been having troubles with the driver's side headlight for years.
It won't open, or close.

The motor was new when I started to address this issue, so it's not that.

This is where I am:
There is 1 red wire that supplies all the power.It comes into the headlight relay. It also shows 12 volts, so the fusible link is good.There are 4 wires come out of the relay.Yellow runs across to the other side relay.Black is ground.Drk Grn and Wht go to the headlight motor.I found a break in the white, and fixed it.Keep in mind; the passenger side works, as it should.I swapped the relay and then both sides stopped working, telling me the driver's side relay is bad.But also, putting the good relay of the driver's side still didn't fix the problem.With the good relay in each circuit, the Drk Grn measures 12v when the headlight switch is on.
When it's off, the grey measures 12v, when it's on, 0v.The wht never has any voltage in either position. This I don't really understand, because the passenger side has the same reading, but works fine.I'm not sure what the isolation relay does.I had already replaced both headlight door relays and the isolation relay.

Any ideas where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.

Get notified of new replies

To Open and close headlight in a c4 vette

Quick Reply: Open and close headlight in a c4 vette