C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to install upper control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 PM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to install upper control arm bushings?

I'm trying to replace my bushings with Energy Suspension poly urethane bushings. I am having trouble getting the bushings back in. As i am pushing them in, they swell and buckle and just refuse to slide in. I wrapped them with hose clamps to get them within 1/2 inch, but I can't get them that last little bit. What did ya]ll use?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by PaZaicC4
I'm trying to replace my bushings with Energy Suspension poly urethane bushings. I am having trouble getting the bushings back in. As i am pushing them in, they swell and buckle and just refuse to slide in. I wrapped them with hose clamps to get them within 1/2 inch, but I can't get them that last little bit. What did ya]ll use?
it's like putting 5 pounds of crap in a 4 pound bag! mine were prothane, but I guess they wouldn't be much different than ES. I used a 20 ton press and it took me several attempts. perseverance, perseverance, perseverance! silicone grease the hell out of it. the trick is to get the bushing squarely aligned and slowly apply pressure. they will go in - eventually. I used a steel brace to support the a-arm while pressing the one end. some folks use a different approach -

Last edited by Joe C; 09-21-2018 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:44 PM
Skettis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree with the above post, I've done these on other cars and a press with plenty of grease was always a must and they were still hard to press in. I also found that temperature made a difference.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:48 PM
Pwnage1337
Tech Contributor

Received 188 Likes on 141 Posts

I did the press option also. you need to brace the A arm as shown above or you will bend the crap out of it. I used Energy Suspensions grease, its extremely tacky, wear gloves. That **** sticks to everything
Old 09-17-2018, 05:06 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

I wonder if you freeze the bushings and warm the arms up in an oven ahead of time if they'd slip in easier?
Old 09-17-2018, 07:39 AM
PaZaicC4
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
I wonder if you freeze the bushings and warm the arms up in an oven ahead of time if they'd slip in easier?
I had that same thought, but i was concerned that bushings would be brittle and break
Old 09-17-2018, 11:19 PM
Skettis
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PaZaicC4
I had that same thought, but i was concerned that bushings would be brittle and break
Yes that is what happened to me, I installed bushings on one arm on a high 50 degree day and the other arm when it was around high 30s and the bushing split on me. It seems that they are a bit more pliable when it is warmer out.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:22 AM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I used the process in post #2. I also used a stainless steel hose clamp to help get the bushing started. It was like described above and every thing had to be straight to get them in.
Do grease the bushings with lot of silicone assembly lube. I purchased a 4 oz extra tub of silicone grease with the front and rear bushing sets/

Get notified of new replies

To How to install upper control arm bushings?

Quick Reply: How to install upper control arm bushings?