C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Starts then Dies - '85 L98

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 11:37 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Starts then Dies - '85 L98

Hey guys.

I messed up - I washed the engine bay and the next day I've got a start for 2 seconds and it dies problem.

Car has been sitting for 5 years - it was absolutely filthy all over so I tried to deep clean. Covered the alternator and distributor with plastic bags and sprayed the rest of the engine and degreased + cleaned.

Started fine immediately afterwards and ran fine for the 2-3 mins it took me to move it in the drive way. The next day - starts and dies.

Any obvious things I should check on my 1985 L98 4+3??

Also, perhaps unrelated, but the morning after I washed the car, I pulled the digital dash because it was dark with signal lights solid bright (been like this for years)... Ran a new ground to the steering column bolt for B1 on the dash connector since it had no continuity with ground. - Could I have done anything behind the dash that might have caused this engine start & die problem?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:36 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Domobomb
Hey guys.

I messed up - I washed the engine bay and the next day I've got a start for 2 seconds and it dies problem.

Car has been sitting for 5 years - it was absolutely filthy all over so I tried to deep clean. Covered the alternator and distributor with plastic bags and sprayed the rest of the engine and degreased + cleaned.

Started fine immediately afterwards and ran fine for the 2-3 mins it took me to move it in the drive way. The next day - starts and dies.

Any obvious things I should check on my 1985 L98 4+3??

Also, perhaps unrelated, but the morning after I washed the car, I pulled the digital dash because it was dark with signal lights solid bright (been like this for years)... Ran a new ground to the steering column bolt for B1 on the dash connector since it had no continuity with ground. - Could I have done anything behind the dash that might have caused this engine start & die problem?
I guess the thing to know is it fuel or power that's cutting out.....put a fuel gauge on it to make sure it's not fuel pressure....if not, I'l look to the distributor....
The following users liked this post:
Domobomb (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 04:38 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,400 Likes on 1,016 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Fuel and spark.

FP gauge to see if its getting primed and holding pressure.
Domobomb (09-18-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 PM
VikingTrad3r
Oil Producer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,446 Posts

as with most refurb jobs on these old, terrifically awesome cars, dont get distracted on what you think might be the cause. as noted, approach diagnosis with a one step after another approach.

fuel pressure, tape to windshield report the pressures with key on, does it drop, then while cranking, running, does pressure drop as the engine dies? if it holds as engine dies then check for spark by looking for spark or i usually use the timing light on a spark plug wire to see if spark is being sent down the line.

the check injector pulses using/renting the noid light.

its going to be one of those.

Domobomb (09-18-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Starts then Dies - '85 L98

Quick Reply: Starts then Dies - '85 L98