C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR temp sesnsor

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 11:55 AM
stanger1
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGR temp sesnsor

I have a 1986 roadster and the check engine light comes on. My tech said the code indicated it was the EGR temp sensor. However he said the part is obsolete and he cannot locate one. Does anyone know where I can get one? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:52 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 317 Likes on 271 Posts

I hear they are being reproduced now and Eckler's has them. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 PM
stanger1
7th Gear

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Bomvette
Cruising

I got one from Mid America Motorworks.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:46 AM
stanger1
7th Gear

Thanks Bomvette and thanks to everyone. Turns out they are not that hard to find.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM
ctmccloskey
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 875 Posts

Hello "stanger1"

First, I would like to extend you a "Welcome to the Corvette Forum"!! This is the best forum I know of and it is that way for a reason. People come and ask questions or share information, all we ask is that you post the fix you found for your particular issue with your Corvette. This helps all of us learn more about our favorite Corvettes. Again, Welcome to the place of answers....

You are correct that they are not too hard to find IF you know where to look. Now that you have that sending unit you should get rid of the light. Do you have emissions testing in your State? I took my car in that seemed to be running great only to find that my EGR systems was not functional. My emissions had a higher than normal NOX levels.

I removed the EGR and it was plugged up with hard carbon deposits, I ended up cleaning out the system by removing the manifold using a sand blaster to get that carbon out. Then I found that my EGR Vacuum Solenoid was not functional as well. That was real hard to find at that time... Once I got the new EGR Vacuum solenoid I hooked up everything and then had all the parts working well again. I do not have to have my emissions tested any more but do it for "Piece of Mind" knowing that the car is running properly and not making any extra pollutants. The EGR can affect your engine in a bunch of ways, when it is working the car idles perfectly and is smooth running as well. I will keep the EGR system operational as long as I own the car!

Good Luck in resolving any issues with your Corvette! There is always somebody here with some answers!
Old 09-20-2018, 01:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Find someone to tune out the code so it won't confuse you if another CEL comes lighting up. That works only if you don't have emissions testing.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:30 AM
stanger1
7th Gear

Wow, I'm new to this forum and you guys are incredible! Lot's of good responses and options. I do not have to do emissions testing here b/c my car is grandfathered. However I don't want the check engine light to stay on. Not to mention, I wouldn't know if there was another problem. So I bit the bullet and ordered the sensor. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:58 AM
badduxx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Purchased one on Amazon:

http://a.co/d/5rcmlcG

Get notified of new replies

To EGR temp sesnsor

Quick Reply: EGR temp sesnsor