C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

HELP! 93 with a CEL!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:43 AM
sca
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! 93 with a CEL!

Hey guys,

I am looking for some help from the the master Corvette techs out there. My 87 year old grandfather owns a 1993 Corvette that is his absolute baby. He lives in Los Angeles, CA while I am 1200 miles north in Spokane, WA. Recently, the CEL came on and he took it to his local shop. The diagnosis was a bad distributor. The shop replaced the distributor only to find that the CEL continued to stay on. Now they are claiming that the computer is bad and has to be replaced. Other things to note are 1) The shop claims the car is running too hot. 2) The shop claims its a definite ignition issue. 3) There are ZERO problems with startup and performance from what I understand from my grandfather. I know this isn't enough information to fully diagnose the problem but I'm hoping someone has had a similar issue and can help steer me in the right direction to help him out. Thank you in advance!

Shane
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM
sca
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: I spoke with my grandfather again this morning and tied some of these loose ends up. The overheating issue was just an improper gauge reading. Also, the ignition system no longer seems to be the problem. Now, the car is running rich on the right side and lean on the left side (Not sure if this has to do with all 8 cylinders or just a couple).The mechanic is still claiming the computer is bad and needs to be replaced/rebuilt.

Thank you again to anyone reading this!

Shane
Old 09-20-2018, 03:00 PM
JimLentz
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 250 Likes on 239 Posts

Hi Shane,

If he can check the codes himself it would make it easier to troubleshoot, here is the information. The 92 and 93 ECMs (computers) can have an issue and can be rebuilt for less than $200, mine was intermittent and caused strange symptoms.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! 93 with a CEL!

Quick Reply: HELP! 93 with a CEL!