C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling Fan Control on 1996 C4 Corvette With Adjustable Switch

Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM
richsanto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Fan Control on 1996 C4 Corvette With Adjustable Switch

Hi folks,

Had a question on installing an adjustable cooling fan switch versus having the PCM reprogrammed to turn on the fans earlier. Some of the aftermarket kits note that you will set an SES code if the cooling fan relay grounds are grounded out by anything other than the PCM commanding the fans to run, I assume since it senses current/voltage in the circuit. I tried this by jumping the dark green wire from CF relay #1 to ground and low and behold..the fans came on low speed (good!) and the SES light illuminates (not so good!). I cleared the code. Here's my question....if i were to run a separate circuit to the fans, in parallel to the existing circuit, would the PCM then know the fans were running when they weren't supposed to be? I don't want to be setting SES codes just for the sake of having the fans come on earlier. The only reason I'm considering this is that I have a collection of relays and what-not from years past and could probably build the thing for just the price of the adjustable switch ($ 25.00??), versus the price of having the PCM reflashed/reprogrammed (which I assume will be > $ 150.00 unless I'm incorrect??).

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2018, 09:59 AM
GRIS
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

On my '96 if i turn on the fan manually the ses light comes on. When the switch is turned off it goes away after a few miles. I find this to be no problem.
Old 09-24-2018, 01:46 PM
pacoW
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by richsanto
Hi folks,

Had a question on installing an adjustable cooling fan switch versus having the PCM reprogrammed to turn on the fans earlier. Some of the aftermarket kits note that you will set an SES code if the cooling fan relay grounds are grounded out by anything other than the PCM commanding the fans to run, I assume since it senses current/voltage in the circuit. I tried this by jumping the dark green wire from CF relay #1 to ground and low and behold..the fans came on low speed (good!) and the SES light illuminates (not so good!). I cleared the code. Here's my question....if i were to run a separate circuit to the fans, in parallel to the existing circuit, would the PCM then know the fans were running when they weren't supposed to be? I don't want to be setting SES codes just for the sake of having the fans come on earlier. The only reason I'm considering this is that I have a collection of relays and what-not from years past and could probably build the thing for just the price of the adjustable switch ($ 25.00??), versus the price of having the PCM reflashed/reprogrammed (which I assume will be > $ 150.00 unless I'm incorrect??).

Thanks in advance!
I have a '96 also and just bought an adjustable thermostat for the fans, have not installed yet. Wiring is directly to the fans and does not splice into any of the 3 fan relays so I don't see how that setup would set an SES code. Now if I could just figure out how to get the fans/shroud out without having to remove the radiator shroud that would be a neat trick.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 PM
richsanto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks folks, appreciate the responses. I did read that the SES code will reset after something like three starts w/o the PCM seeing the problem, so it's a short-lived SES with no emissions inspection related impact. I just hate warning lights!!!

Regarding shrouds, guards, and other stuff - I am convinced that GM held a contest to see how much equipment they could fit in the engine bay - not much room! That said, I can't complain, since 22 years later, it basically all still works.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling Fan Control on 1996 C4 Corvette With Adjustable Switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cooling Fan Control on 1996 C4 Corvette With Adjustable Switch